Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will you buy an iPhone 5 without 4G?

• Yes

Votes: 89 61.8%
  • No

Votes: 19 13.2%
  • Depends on the other specs

Votes: 36 25.0%

• Total voters

Duckit

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 24, 2011
NJ, USA
I will buy the iPhone 5 if it doesn't have 4G because I don't have 4G in my area, and it just doesn't matter to me that much. What about you guys?

Spectrum Abuser

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2011
Which 4G are you referring to? HSPA+ or LTE?

I'm personally holding out for an LTE capable iPhone unless Android gets the 2nd generation LTE chips first. My house also receives perfect LTE coverage thanks to the recent addition of a newly built cellular tower.

Krandor

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2010
I am torn. 4G is in my area and over the next 1-2 years (lifetime of a phone contract) it is going to improve. While I could say today that I am fine without 4G, I am not so sure that will be the case in 1-2 years and when you have to sign a two contract you have to think about.

That has also kept me from android because I don't want to buy an android phone on a 2 year contract and have the carrier stop updating the phone after 6 months giving me a year and a half of seeing updates I cannot get.

So looking ahead 1-2 years it is tough to say 4G isn't an issue.

LapsangSouchong

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2010
the burrows
For me it will all depend on the specs. So-called 4G isn't the deal breaker for me. I'm on wifi 90% of the time anyway.

I need an unlocked iPhone so I can give my husband my IP4 so he can stop using the dying 3GS. If the IP5 has enough of a upgrade I'll buy that unlocked.

webitorgal

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2011
I'm a BB owner and am kind of sick of my device. I'm seriously considering getting a 4S (if there is indeed one) this time around to see if I like it. If I do, I'll upgrade to whatever LTE device is coming out in 2012. That is, of course, depending on the price. I'm with Rogers in Toronto and apparently they're rolling out LTE service in the area this coming week.

cdd543

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2006
Denver
I won't buy one without lte. I've owned very version prior, but I'm not waiting another year to use lte.

Duckit

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 24, 2011
NJ, USA
I am torn. 4G is in my area and over the next 1-2 years (lifetime of a phone contract) it is going to improve. While I could say today that I am fine without 4G, I am not so sure that will be the case in 1-2 years and when you have to sign a two contract you have to think about.

That has also kept me from android because I don't want to buy an android phone on a 2 year contract and have the carrier stop updating the phone after 6 months giving me a year and a half of seeing updates I cannot get.

So looking ahead 1-2 years it is tough to say 4G isn't an issue.

Yeah I am a little concerned about the future too. 4G will be in every phone pretty soon, and there will be more coverage of 4G by then too. :confused:

Jay42

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2005
Yes but the glaring omission of 4G makes Android based phones far more attractive despite the fact that I greatly prefer iOS.

LapsangSouchong

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2010
the burrows
Yes but the glaring omission of 4G makes Android based phones far more attractive despite the fact that I greatly prefer iOS.
I disagree. Having played with an Android device again recently, BLECH. Nothing I can think of would make me switch from IOS to Android.
Better speed on a clunky OS? Not so much.
To each his/her own. Thanks for replying to me.:)

dickdaney

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2009
I have Verizon, and I will not buy another Verizon iPhone that doesn't have LTE. cdma is too slow compared to hspa+

Krandor

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2010

Same boat here. The majority of what I do on my iPhone/iPad/ATV is media related and the integration of the iOS ecosystem with airplay, home sharing, smart playlists, etc. is just amazing and the thought of having to use a third party program to tie into iTunes to do similar things on Android is not appealing. However, I would really like LTE. If the new iPhone 4S/5 has a larger screen and LTE I will buy it no question. If not, I will have to seriously look at some Android phones. I may still decide to go with the iPhone, but no LTE would make the decision much tougher and right now I am not sure the new iPhone is going to have the larger screen or LTE.

yanki01

macrumors 68040
Feb 28, 2009
so far its poor 4G reception in my area and im OK with 3G currently. I wouldn't mind the wait until next year or the following for more area's to be 4G LTE compatible.

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Spectrum Abuser said:
Which 4G are you referring to? HSPA+ or LTE?

I'm personally holding out for an LTE capable iPhone unless Android gets the 2nd generation LTE chips first. My house also receives perfect LTE coverage thanks to the recent addition of a newly built cellular tower.

4G coverage at my house is meaningless because I use wifi when home. ;o)...I'm looking for good 4G coverage in and around the areas that I travel on a daily basis. Which where I live is great.

But honestly, 4G isn't a make or break option for me. My 3G is fast enough to suit my needs. I'm looking for a bigger screen and a redesign. I love my iP4 but im ready to look at something new.

Duckit

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 24, 2011
NJ, USA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

4G coverage at my house is meaningless because I use wifi when home. ;o)...I'm looking for good 4G coverage in and around the areas that I travel on a daily basis. Which where I live is great.

But honestly, 4G isn't a make or break option for me. My 3G is fast enough to suit my needs. I'm looking for a bigger screen and a redesign. I love my iP4 but im ready to look at something new.

Same here. I would use WiFi the most, and only use 3G occasionally. So I think the 3G speeds should be good enough.

Tomb01

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2009
Colleyville, TX
I'm a frequent traveler, and the 4G networks are not uniform, so a good solid 3G connection on my phone is probably (at this point) more important than 4G, but my biggest requirement at this point is more storage. I am constantly shuffling songs, apps, pics, in and out of my 32gig (who knew 32 gig would not be enough?) 64 gig will make me buy one, 4G and larger screen not so much.... I'm not unhappy with my current form factor and screen. Would like a slightly better battery life.

makefunnyfaces

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2010
West Virginia
4G isn't available in my area, so I really don't care about that. Hell, 3G isn't even available in my town. I have to travel 30-40 minutes for that. :p

I'm hoping to see more storage, better battery life, & maybe a slightly different form. I'm going to upgrade no matter what, though.

Chief Oddball

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2009
DFW
I voted "it depends on the other specs" (because it does), but lack of LTE capability wouldn't stop me from buying an iPhone 5, even though I am in one of AT&T's LTE-enabled cities. I simply don't use 3G that much as it is, being on wi-fi most of the time. Combined with the premium price carriers typically charge for 4G/LTE plans, and the battery drain it typically incurs, I'm not in a rush over this.

applefan289

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2010
USA
I really don't care about the speeds. That's why I have traditional home internet. When I'm on the go, I just would want something that I can surf and check emails on. No need for the faster speed.

But then again I'm the type to just have one computer and no other devices.

Duckit

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 24, 2011
NJ, USA
I really don't care about the speeds. That's why I have traditional home internet. When I'm on the go, I just would want something that I can surf and check emails on. No need for the faster speed.

But then again I'm the type to just have one computer and no other devices.

Yeah, 4G isnt that important for those of us who have fast enough home Internet and don't care about slower speeds on the go.

Spectrum Abuser

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2011
Yeah, 4G isnt that important for those of us who have fast enough home Internet and don't care about slower speeds on the go.

It's important to me because it will replace my AT&T DSL. U-Verse is still not available on my street yet they laid fiber optic to the cellular tower which is practically in my back yard.

Blakey.

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2010
4G isn't really at the top of my list. It completely depends on if there is a redesign that I like and/or what exclusive features the 5 has over the 4.

utl768

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2009
no

iphone is awesome but its falling behind badly with so many great android phones that are just plain better

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.