Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will you buy an iPhone 5 without 4G?

• Yes

Votes: 89 61.8%
  • No

Votes: 19 13.2%
  • Depends on the other specs

Votes: 36 25.0%

• Total voters

TheSacredSoul

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2010
Only one of the three carriers offer 4G and that too only for business customers. It will probably be more available next year. So in order to future-proof my device, I would like the 4G but it's not absolutely necessary. More like an added bonus :D

Agent-P

Contributor
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
I will just because I will be upgrading from a dying HD2. I think I will pick up an HTC Radar or a Nokia Windows Phone as a backup, but I will definitely be getting the next iPhone regardless of 4G or not.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Yep. 4G isn't anywhere around where I am at yet and regardless of that, I am on WiFi probably 95% of my day. I have a 3GS and will be upgrading to whatever (iP5 or iP4S) gets released here soon.

musika

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2010
New York
4G is just a greedy marketing project by the carriers.

1. I don't need incredibly fast internet in my pocket 24/7. Lets just be happy we have the damn internet in our pockets at all.

2. Until 4G is something of substance and reliable enough, I couldn't care less.

Duckit

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 24, 2011
NJ, USA
4G is just a greedy marketing project by the carriers.

1. I don't need incredibly fast internet in my pocket 24/7. Lets just be happy we have the damn internet in our pockets at all.

2. Until 4G is something of substance and reliable enough, I couldn't care less.

Well i don't think its "a greedy marketing project". I think its just really fast and its great for those who are on the go a lot, and want fast internet.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Really can't imagine why I would need LTE speeds on my phone. Tethering would be the only reason, and given the data caps the extra speed really isn't worthwhile. Why do I need Internet so fast that I can exceed my monthly data cap in 45 minutes? Makes no sense.

3G speed lets me stream audio (even video if I want), and does a passable job with tethering as long as I'm not trying to stream HD video (see data cap issue above). 3G also gives me a terrific battery life with the iPhone 4.

Eventually the plans will catch up with reality, we'll see 20-50GB caps on LTE plans in another year or two. The iPhone 6 by then will have a more efficient LTE chipset, and newer battery technology to allow it to work smoothly. I'd rather wait and get a good, workable LTE solution than deal with the compromises now.

Zepaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2010
MN
4G will not be in my area for quite a while so obviously I have no reason to care.

Spectrum Abuser

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2011
Really can't imagine why I would need LTE speeds on my phone. Tethering would be the only reason, and given the data caps the extra speed really isn't worthwhile. Why do I need Internet so fast that I can exceed my monthly data cap in 45 minutes? Makes no sense.

3G speed lets me stream audio (even video if I want), and does a passable job with tethering as long as I'm not trying to stream HD video (see data cap issue above). 3G also gives me a terrific battery life with the iPhone 4.

Eventually the plans will catch up with reality, we'll see 20-50GB caps on LTE plans in another year or two. The iPhone 6 by then will have a more efficient LTE chipset, and newer battery technology to allow it to work smoothly. I'd rather wait and get a good, workable LTE solution than deal with the compromises now.

It amazes me how people can still use the 'faster data' argument in conjunction with data caps. A 1MB webpage on 3G is still a 1MB web page on LTE. The difference? You aren't stuck waiting for half a minute. A 3MB song with Pandora on 3G is still a 3MB song on LTE. They both last for three minutes and neither will play faster just because it's on a faster data network.

And the only LTE data plan available right now for the HTC Jetstream is $35 for 3GB of data. Is it a little high? Sure. But is the data to low? Only if the word WiFi is not in your dictionary.

Last edited:

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
I have Verizon, and I will not buy another Verizon iPhone that doesn't have LTE. cdma is too slow compared to hspa+

Agree. iPhone 5 without LTE does not impress me. iPhone 5 with a faster processor. So what? Doesn't mean much to me on a phone. iPhone 4 does everything I need, and does it without problems. Better camera. Doesn't impress me. Cell phone cameras never do. LTE so the apps I use are more efficient for work? Downloads I send are quicker? Yes and yes. LTE is the critical upgrade for me. Anything less is not worth spending the extra money.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.