Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

cava22-sf-0445-1-500x333.jpg

The San Francisco Police Department's internal investigation into Apple's lost iPhone 5 prototype continues -- but not to get the phone back. Instead, the SFPD's internal affairs division is still looking into what role officers played in helping Apple employees search for the phone after it went missing at Cava 22, a restaurant and bar in San Francisco's Mission District.

The owner of Cava 22 told CNET that police investigators had called the restaurant looking for surveillance video from July 21 and 22; most likely the day the phone went missing and the day after, when Apple employees were hunting for the device.

Initially, San Francisco police denied any involvement in the hunt for the phone. It was later revealed that police did assist Apple investigators in looking for the device, even accompanying them to the home of a suspect, but claim Apple employees searched the suspect's house, with permission.
Lt. Troy Dangerfield, a spokesman for SFPD, said he wasn't aware that investigators had gone to the bar or were looking for the videos. But he said that since Apple had not filed a police report, he was sure that there was no criminal investigation connected to the missing device. "In order for there to be a crime, you need a victim," Dangerfield said. He concluded that the request by police for the surveillance footage was likely part of the internal review launched this month by department officials into how police assisted Apple in a search of a home on July 24.
Sergio Calderon, the man whose home, car and computer was searched by Apple employees, confirmed to police that he was at Cava 22 that night, but denied having possession of the phone.

CNET reports that Calderon has not filed a complaint with the SFPD nor the city's Office of Citizen Complaints, which handles claims of police misconduct in San Francisco.

Article Link: SFPD Internal Investigation Over Lost iPhone 5 Continues

pewra

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2011
I doubt that anyone believes CNETs worthless hunk of paid promotion. Really, stop promoting that stupid bar.

Did you know they offer a lime-marinated shrimp ceviche?

Last edited:

FrizzleFryBen

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2009
Charlotte, NC
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

I smell something fishy here. I hope it's their delightful civiche!

Tsaxmafia

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2011
I mean with that AWESOME ceviche they have there who wouldnt get a lil fat and happy and leave their 5th Generation iPhone just chillin in this perfectly located bar and spot for young professionals :cool:

mtbgtr

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2009
Apple must have gotten their lost phone back and SFPD is worried they will get sued for letting non-law enforcement personel to search a private home.

pewra

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2011
Apple must have gotten their lost phone back and SFPD is worried they will get sued for letting non-law enforcement personel to search a private home.

Nah, the Cava 22 is worried that they might get sued for their standards exceeding lime-marinated shrimp ceviche!

cere

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2008
I doubt that anyone believes CNETs worthless hunk of paid promotion.

Really, stop promoting that stupid bar. Did you know they offer a lime-marinated shrimp ceviche?

Why are people so bitter about this bar? It's their fault some drunk lost another phone?

pewra

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2011
Why are people so bitter about this bar? It's their fault some drunk lost another phone?

What, you believe a series of clearly promoted articles by one website with no sources only quoting the owner of a certain bar that serves a rather tasty lime-marinated shrimp ceviche?

Read the original quotes carefully, then offer me some reasons why CNET isn't shovelling crap.

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
I hear that Tuesdays are now "Find a Lost iPhone" night at Cava 22. If you find an iPhone under your table you get a free order of shrimp ceviche.

ladeer

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

The sfpd spokesperson needs to review his crim law training as it absolutely does not require a victim for there to be a crime. Criminal law system in America is statutory which means it's a crime for merely breaking the law. Only in civil tort damage (victim) is required for suit.

billnye97

macrumors regular
May 26, 2011
Lt. Troy Dangerfield, a spokesman for SFPD, said he wasn't aware that investigators had gone to the bar or were looking for the videos. But he said that since Apple had not filed a police report, he was sure that there was no criminal investigation connected to the missing device. "In order for there to be a crime, you need a victim," Dangerfield said. He concluded that the request by police for the surveillance footage was likely part of the internal review launched this month by department officials into how police assisted Apple in a search of a home on July 24.

Lt. Dangerfield....gets no respect, no respect.

cere

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2008
What, you believe a series of clearly promoted articles by one website with no sources only quoting the owner of a certain bar that serves a rather tasty lime-marinated shrimp ceviche?

Read the original quotes carefully, then offer me some reasons why CNET isn't shovelling crap.
WTF, are people still buying that this was a hoax perpetrated by cnet and cava22?

Anyway, lets looks at what's wrong with you statement:
-"one website": no. Major news outlets and every tech blog on the planet also ran with the story, most doing their own sourcing of information.
-"only quoting the owner of a certain bar": again, no. Also quoting one mr Sergio Calderone and at least two separate spokespersons for the SFPD (Dangerfield being the only one recently).

Now, offer me a reason why cnet is shovelling crap? Also cnn, sfgate, engadget, San Francisco Police Dept, USA Today, Mercury news, BGR, etc.

pewra

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2011
Anyway, lets looks at what's wrong with you statement:

Lets.

"one website": no. Major news outlets and every tech blog on the planet also ran with the story, most doing their own sourcing of information.

Now, offer me a reason why cnet is shovelling crap? Also cnn, sfgate, engadget, San Francisco Police Dept, USA Today, Mercury news, BGR, etc.

No, like Macrumors, they all simply reference the CNET post with no additional information. Anything added is just speculation on top of an already dubious post. Aggregation, rather than reporting.

Depending what article you stumble across, there is anywhere between 4 and 8 officers, sometimes he is told to keep quiet, sometimes he agrees, some times he is forced to agree, sometimes he is offered money, sometimes Apple beat him with a flexible rubber chicken.

Screen%20Shot%202011-09-27%20at%203.08.39%20AM.png

Screen%20Shot%202011-09-27%20at%203.08.21%20AM.png

Screen%20Shot%202011-09-27%20at%203.12.59%20AM.png

Screen_Shot_2011-09-27_at_3.14.33_AM.png

Screen%20Shot%202011-09-27%20at%203.14.28%20AM.png

Screen%20Shot%202011-09-27%20at%203.14.00%20AM.png

-"only quoting the owner of a certain bar": again, no. Also quoting one mr Sergio Calderone and at least two separate spokespersons for the SFPD (Dangerfield being the only one recently).

Again, not really much to go on. Quotes are awfully easy to fabricate, especially when you're the only 'exclusive source'.

Lul look at these funky cat butts!!!

Exactly!

Last edited:

cere

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2008
Lets.

No, like Macrumors, they all simply reference the CNET post with no additional information. Anything added is just speculation on top of an already dubious post.
SF Weekly http://blogs.sfweekly.com/thesnitch/2011/09/iphone_5_apple_police.php
San Francisco Police Department spokesman Lt. Troy Dangerfield now tells SF Weekly that "three or four" SFPD officers accompanied two Apple security officials in an unusual search of a Bernal Heights man's home

San Francisco Chronicle via USA Today http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/s...police-help-search-for-lost-iPhone/50269730/1
Police Chief Greg Suhr told the San Francisco Chronicle that four plainclothes officers accompanied two Apple investigators who searched a San Francisco home for the iPhone prototype.

Oh, and the San Francisco Police official statement via the San Francisco Police Department
http://www.sf-police.org/index.aspx?recordid=132&page=3763
After speaking with Apple representatives, we were given information which helped us determine what occurred. It was discovered that Apple employees called Mission Police station directly, wanting assistance in tracking down a lost item. Apple had tracked the lost item to a house located in the 500 block of Anderson Street. Because the address was in the Ingleside Police district Apple employees were referred to Officers in the Ingleside district. Four SFPD Officers accompanied Apple employees to the Anderson street home. The two Apple employees met with the resident and then went into the house to look for the lost item. The Apple employees did not find the lost item and left the house.

The Apple employees did not want to make an official report of the lost item.

Again, not really much to go on. Quotes are awfully easy to fabricate.
The fact is that the story was first reported by cnet. But has been covered, reported, investigated and verified by multiple sources, including the SFPD themselves. If the quotes are being fabricated, please provide some, any proof. Also, you should inform the SFPD, because apparently, someone is running around impersonating them, giving false quotes and has hacked their website.

Are the conspiracy theorists the same people still claiming the moon landings were hoaxes too? Sometimes you wonder if it them being intentionally dense. One hopes so.

pewra

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2011
The two Apple employees met with the resident

Sounds pretty sedate. In the interests of full disclosure, I saw that, and assumed that it was a spoof site (ala The Onion).

Last edited by a moderator:

Johnnyboy711

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8C148)

The guy has the iphone prototype, what are the odds of them going to some random house using gps on the phone and the guy even said that he was at the bar that night, they didnt offer that guy enough money :)

cere

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2008
Even if it is real, it's just a making a mountain out of a molehill.
I guess that is reason enough to make up reasons to try to debunk it? If you are going to minimize it, that's fine. But if you are going to try to prove it's a hoax, using facts will often do a better job for you.
Seriously man, grow up.
?????
Just trying to correct your information. I would hate to think you were intentionally passing off bad info as facts.

----------

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8C148)

The guy has the iphone prototype, what are the odds of them going to some random house using gps on the phone and the guy even said that he was at the bar that night, they didnt offer that guy enough money :)
If they truly thought the GPS tracking was accurate enough and up to date, then they could have easily done a formal report for stolen property and had the police to a warranted search of the home.

Last edited by a moderator:

pewra

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2011
Just trying to correct your information. I would hate to think you were intentionally passing off bad info as facts.

I wouldn't count any of those blogs as a credible source of anything.

I especially liked sfweekly using a screenshot of a Facebook profile from a retired 'private investigator' having listed 'Apple Computers' as an 'Activity' as 'Evidence'. Chances are it's just some random they picked up.

Screen_Shot_2011-09-27_at_3.47.49_AM.png

See where I'm going here?

Anthony is clearly a fan of some chronic lime-marinated shrimp ceviche.

(source)

Last edited:

seamer

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2009
If the lost phone story is even remotely true, whoever has the phone is clever enough to just leave it off. As soon as they turn it on, it'll phone home and then all kids of shiat will hit the fan.

The Engadget fiasco was a huge lesson.

cere

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2008
If the lost phone story is even remotely true, whoever has the phone is clever enough to just leave it off. As soon as they turn it on, it'll phone home and then all kids of shiat will hit the fan.

The Engadget fiasco was a huge lesson.
Easy enough to beat. Don't turn it on until you remove the SIM and don't connect it to wifi.

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Sometimes I wonder if he extreme measures apple takes to keep everything a secret won't end up hurting them some day.

Tronic

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2009
My bet is that he had already sold it to a tech site and that they are waiting for the opportune time to release their findings. Like the night before the Iphone 5 conference. Like has been said, Apple wouldnt just show up at some random guys house who they tracked on GPS and happened to be at the bar. He had, it sold it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.