Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

163626-ipod_classic_2009_all_sides.jpg

TUAW claims that Apple may be planning on discontinuing the iPod Classic and iPod Shuffle devices this year.
It seems that the "product transition" Apple mentioned on the last earnings call could very well be within the iPod line. Specifically, if you want to buy an iPod shuffle or iPod classic from Apple, you should do it sooner rather than later. We've heard those two iPods are getting the axe this year.
They go on to say that they see "few changes" coming for the iPod touch, except for a white model. That portion of the report mirrors our own from last week, which detailed the introduction of a white iPod Touch model, but little else in the way of changes. The iPod nano appears to be safe for the time being and may see a minor improvement as well next week.

aapl_sales_by_quarter.jpg

The iPod as a product line has been making up a smaller and smaller percentage of Apple's revenue over the past few years with the growth of the iPhone. Apple does not break out the iPod touch out of those sales, but the touch likely represents a large portion of the remaining iPod sales. The last official word about the iPod Classic came from Steve Jobs over a year ago, in which he said in an email that they had no plans on discontinuing the iPod Classic at that time. Now, a year later, it may be coming, if TUAW's source is to be believed.

Article Link: Apple to Discontinue iPod Classic and iPod Shuffle?

Last edited by a moderator:

URFloorMatt

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2010
Washington, D.C.
Since neither device runs iOS, this wouldn't surprise me at all. Especially since last year the Nano turned into the Shuffle Plus.

And the fact that there won't be an iPod event this fall should speak volumes about the future of the line generally.

Mac-Mariachi

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2002
Monterrey, Mexico
Special Edition

Apple owes the iPod, if it is going to axe it at least the iPod Classic deserves to go out in style with a Farewell Special Edition of a new iPod Classic with 500GB and a cool new design. I bet they would sell lots of them.

darkslayer13

macrumors member
May 6, 2010
Does this mean Steve Jobs is a liar???

This is a quote from a response to an email sent to Jobs:

Q: Hello, I've heard a LOT of speculation that Apple is looking to kill the iPod Classic because it wasn't updated on Sept. 1st, and that a lot of people would rather Touch. The iPod Classic is probably the best iPod in the line. PLEASE DON'T KILL IT!!!

A: We have no plans to.

Source:
https://www.macrumors.com/2011/03/22/steve-jobs-no-plans-to-discontinue-ipod-classic/

Chunk Style

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2011
Well, not good news for audiophiles who just want a player with big, big capacity. They don't seem interested in expanding the Touch's capacity, and it isn't that great as an iPod anyway (and neither is the iPhone.) The click wheel interface is superior for much. Just my opinion, of course.

Illumination

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2011
Georgia, USA
Does this mean Steve Jobs is a liar???

This is a quote from a response to an email sent to Jobs:

Q: Hello, I've heard a LOT of speculation that Apple is looking to kill the iPod Classic because it wasn't updated on Sept. 1st, and that a lot of people would rather Touch. The iPod Classic is probably the best iPod in the line. PLEASE DON'T KILL IT!!!

A: We have no plans to.

Source:
https://www.macrumors.com/2011/03/22/steve-jobs-no-plans-to-discontinue-ipod-classic/
Of course not. It means that since the iPhone event has been announced now, the "analysts" have to find something else to blab about for money - when they really know nothing about it. Their speculation is no more credible than speculation here.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Here's hoping for a 128 GB iPod Touch this year...

if they made that kind of jump, they'd start approaching the kind of storage capacity that the iPod Classic, has.

Last edited:

MegaSignal

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2003
IMHO, I think the reason that this could be / can be such a big deal is because, other than the iMac, this product truly represented not only Apple's Rise From The Ashes Moment, but as well the beginning of the new direction of Apple from stodgy desktop manufacturer to a truly exciting company that would offer exciting new products that we could've never dreamed or imagined...

And so now it goes. As perhaps it should - I don't know, but, whatever...I own several of these in various incarnations, and will revere them for a long, long, time.

Just my thoughts.

hcho3

macrumors 68030
May 13, 2010
Go ahead and axe shuffle.

iPod nano should not be in 149 dollars range. Bring it down to price it as 49-99 dollars. I see somewhere between 49-99 dollars as a good price range for the iPod nano. We all want something light and portable for running.

iPod nano has a market for this.

Ipod Classic should live for another year or two. I doubt Apple will release 128GB iPod touch this year.

Shuffle costs 49 dollars but iPod nano is what shuffle is now with the screen.

No one wants shuffle. kill it. Drop the price on nano. It costs like 38 dollars for apple to make nano and they want 149 dollars price for this.

Bring it down to 99 dollars.

DrJohnnyN

Suspended
Jan 27, 2010
Steve Jobs' famous advice to Nike CEO Mark Parker back in 2006: "Just get rid of the crappy stuff and focus on the good stuff."

gigapocket1

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2009
Since neither device runs iOS, this wouldn't surprise me at all. Especially since last year the Nano turned into the Shuffle Plus.

And the fact that there won't be an iPod event this fall should speak volumes about the future of the line generally.

Makes sense.. No more september iPod event.. Now it's October iPhone event..

Its hard to see the iPod classic go.. When you say iTunes. You still think iPod. Not iPhone, iPad etc..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.