Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tha Professor

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2009
The Mothership
Don't you dare to kill iPod Classic! It is just a... Classic! It is like discontinuing StarWars DVDs.... If you do, just please bring iTunes Match to every country....

stevensr123

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2010
I bet Apple doesn't give a ****.

Why would they? It's a product ffs, stop getting attached to it.

If it's not selling well, why keep it?

And let's face it, technology is growing and changing, Not a lot of people need a stand alone mp3 player like the classic, because they have their phones that can do that and much more, in more than likely a better form factor.

you39

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2010
I love to listen to podcasts while I exercise. The iPod Shuffle is the perfect gym mp3 player. If Apple axes the Shuffle, I hope they come up with another small light player. The rest of the iPod product line holds no appeal for me. In my opinion, the 2nd gen Shuffle is the best. The 4th gen is nice and small, but it's clip is a little hard to use, but it's still better for my use than anything else Apple makes.

Exactly. Although I do prefer the 4th over the 2nd.

It would be really sad if Apple did kill the shuffle. It's easily the best iPod of them all. If necessary I'd gladly pay the price of an ipod touch for it - and I fear I will if my shuffle breaks. Those 2nd generation shuffles got insane prices on ebay until Apple ironed out that 3rd generation bust. Maybe I'll stack one or two before they vanish.

ErikCLDR

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2007
Can't get rid of the classic. It's what started it all.

By all I mean the MP3 player craze, the iPhone Craze, the Mac Craze and the iPad Craze. I've watched it from the start and without the iPod Classic, Apple probably would not be where it is today.

Also the only iPod available that fits my entire library.

pirateyarrr

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2009
Also the only iPod available that fits my entire library.

Exactly. Why haven't more people brought this up? That's the reason I was hoping they would eventually release larger iPod classics. I'm only at about 90GB right now but I really do like having my entire collection available at any time in that little package.

Is it only a small percentage of the population that prefers to have all of their music available on their ipod? Because really, there's no other device out there that will do this for me.

b_scott

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2008
not surprised. With so many people streaming not only internet audio but also their own audio from home to their phones and iPods, larger storage like that isn't really needed as much. I have 300GB of music, so 160GB on my iPod classic barely holds half of that as it is. So I just end up putting stuff I want to currently listen to on my phone and use that. I have the original silver classic too, whose wheel doesn't work well.

They want everyone to buy/use their iCloud storage anyway.

Ubele

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2008
I'm only at about 90GB right now but I really do like having my entire collection available at any time in that little package.

Is it only a small percentage of the population that prefers to have all of their music available on their ipod? Because really, there's no other device out there that will do this for me.

I suspect that is indeed the case. I liked having my entire music collection on my 80 GB iPod Video, but after I lost it earlier this year, I couldn't justify buying a Classic to replace it. I had to admit that there's only a certain percentage of my collection that I listen to on a regular basis, and $250 is a lot to spend for having the option to listen to anything, anywhere, at any time. In practice, my 32 GB iPhone 4 holds enough music to listen to on the go, and my 64 GB iPad holds enough music to listen to when I'm just lounging around the house or on vacation. Presumably, the next high-end iPod touch and iPad will have 128 GB, as will the 2013 iPhone. That would further reduce the time an iPod Classic would be the only option for holding my entire music collection. I imagine that many other people who might have bought an iPod Classic even a couple years ago have come to the same conclusion.

Remember, though: Apple's discontinuing the Classic this year is just a rumor. If it's still generating a lot of revenue, they won't do it. If it isn't, the release of a 128 GB iPod Touch probably would be when they'd discontinue the Classic. From a percentage-of-revenue standpoint, the number of people who need/want 160 GB of music storage rather than 128 GB probably is very small, as is the number of people who would spend $250 for a Classic but not $400 for a Touch. It's a luxury purchase, in that nobody needs to have a huge music collection with them at all times, in the same way they need a smart phone or computer for business or school purposes.

LotusLord

macrumors 6502a
I love my 5.5 gen, though it's sad iPod'd me twice now. I could use a little more capacity as I'm pretty much full now. Of course I could buy a classic now, but I'd like to see an update, perhaps to a 128GB SSD.

As for the shuffle, up the capacity to 4 or 8GB (because come on, they could certainly fit that capacity in). But don't kill it. As others have said it's the ideal workout iPod.

eye

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2009
Detroit
I'll be buying iPod on eBay for the rest of my life if they discontinue the "non-connected" versions. I have no use for the cloud. Cell and cable companies are shifty ripoff artists. Apple is going to back themselves into a corner if they leave content access to providers who are becoming increasingly expensive and keep cutting back the amount of data you can access. They might have to ditch the cloud idea and bring back the classic in a few years if they kill it now.

pirateyarrr

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2009
Yeah, and GM might have to ditch the automobile and bring back wagons tied to horses if the price of gas keeps going up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.