Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theperipheral

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2008
yes, i do. Most would remain loyal to apple and their quality products, however, there are a lot of people out there who are expecting something big (as far as a redesign goes) and depending on their character they will either accept a slight disappointment and buy the new iPhone 4s or they will take their business elsewhere. im not saying apple would go bankrupt, just that it would lose a lot of customers.

I'm one of those customers they would lose. And I'm addicted to the iPhone. I'm just not addicted enough to buy some mediocre upgrade because Apple got lazy. I'm addicted, I'm not stupid.

Sixtafoua

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2009
Boston, MA
Am I the only one who thinks every single mockup of the iPhone 5 has been ugly and cheap looking? The iPhone 4 has such a premium feel to it, and the iPad 2/ iPod touch 4th generation design just doesnt have that same look and feel.

jayman99

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2009
That first photo looks sick! I like it. I don't know what Apple was thinking with the iPhone 4 box design. Who wants squared edges on a phone/portable device? How is that supposed to be comfortable? That first image, if that is the new iPhone would look like, would probably be the most comfortable iPhone. Can't wait to see what Apple has done!

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

I like the iPhone 4 better. Im hoping for a 4s with an edge to edge screen.

I'll expand and say I'm hoping for a 4S with an edge to edge screen within the same overall size which means bigger screen.

weqtor

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2011
I had some speculations that the iPhone 5 wouldn't look "Apple" enough, but this confirms my thoughts that the iPhone 5 will NOT look like that. That looks nothing what Apple would do with a phone.

So many different designs Apple has had on their products just the past ten years, and so many times they replaced something that seemed almost perfect, what makes this not Apple enough?

iDavid4

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2010
Want to know the #1 reason I think this iPhone design won't happen?

One of the most applauded iOS5 improvements from the last keynote was the ability to use the volume up button to take photos.

Apple likely really wants this iPhone to continue to be the most popular camera on the market. Having the square edges of the iPhone 4 design makes a LOT more sense functionally for snapping pictures.

I doubt Apple is not going to redesign the iPhone aesthetics for aesthetics sake. The iPhone 4 is gorgeous already, and if it is more practically functional, the design will stick.

(Also, before anyone says "antennagate" - recall Apple has already expressed their opinion on that)

aValerio

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2010
It is wider. Look closer... because of the thickness of the iPhone 3G and 4... they look thicker than they are.

This mockup "looks a little bit smaller. It's a little bit thinner, and if you look closer you'll see that it got a bit wider [a bit]" and it has a 4' display!

These are the chinese cases... they're bigger!

Attachments

• Schermata 09-2455834 alle 20.28.33.jpg
    Schermata 09-2455834 alle 20.28.33.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 113
  • Schermata 09-2455834 alle 20.25.58.jpg
    Schermata 09-2455834 alle 20.25.58.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 124
  • img_4066.jpeg
    img_4066.jpeg
    76.3 KB · Views: 62

JKColo22

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2009
I know it's been said a hundred times, but I'm going to say it again. A late-to-market, uninspired "iPhone 4S" will be a major disappointment - a sentiment which sales figures will reflect in a tangible way.

EdwardSainsbury

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2011
As much as I hate to say it, the "iPhone 5" will just be the iPod Touch. Case leaks don't necessarily mean they are meant for the iPhone, there are millions of cases for iPods too.

funnyboy88

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2009
Not sure why everyone's emotions are riding high on whether the 5th iPhone will look like the 4 or if it will have a new design. Upgrading the internals is more important than the exterior.

iPhone 4 design with upgraded internals like 8MP camera, A5, 1GB RAM, Assistant, etc = SUCKS!

New design with upgraded internals like 8MP camera, A5, 1GB RAM, Assistant, etc = OMG YAY

The exterior is something you'll appreciate for a few days and then its back to regular iPhone business. But I do sympathize with those that wonder what the hardware team was doing for an extra 4 months if the design was the same.

But in the end, the internals are more important. Think of comparing a 3G to a 3GS today. 3G iPhones are completely crippled, slow, with none of the nice tricks if iOS 4. 3GS can almost do everything an iPhone 4 can do and it will still get iOS 5 and iCloud support.

In the long run, what happens inside will be more important...

na1577

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2008
The corners, when looking from the front, are a bit sharp for me. But this looks gorgeous, a physical mockup looks a lot better than the CAD/Photoshop mockups we've seen.

Roessnakhan

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
ABQ
iPhone 4 design with upgraded internals like 8MP camera, A5, 1GB RAM, Assistant, etc = SUCKS!

New design with upgraded internals like 8MP camera, A5, 1GB RAM, Assistant, etc = OMG YAY

I think people's preference for a redesign is that it also indicates a larger screen.

As much as I hate to say it, the "iPhone 5" will just be the iPod Touch. Case leaks don't necessarily mean they are meant for the iPhone, there are millions of cases for iPods too.

Why would Apple make a 4"+ iPod touch, but not a phone? New features have always been introduced on the iPhone first, then trickle down to the iPod touch.

iabacus

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2011
Hawaii
Why make the cases?

I've been reading this site for years, finally decided to get an account and post something.

What I don't understand is why would these case manufacturers make cases for something that won't exist?

It seems like it would take a lot of money, time and effort to make iphone 5 cases that would never be used. I'm sure once the final specifications are revealed they could make a case pretty quickly. Are they just trying to drive web traffic? It seems dubious.

In the past did any case manufactures release bogus cases for potential new products? I remember there being cases that were leaked, but they seemed to be on the money.

I'd like to think that some of these companies have insider information, and that the new Iphone will be a redesign.

Last edited:

DrDomVonDoom

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2010
Fairbanks, Ak
Not to sound like a fanboy, but I like it alot. It matches the aesthetics of most of Apples products. It looks very Apple, the only thing is it kinda looks a lot smaller then the others, or is that just me?

It matches the iPad, the iMac look very well, I think the only products that are still supporting Apple's old White plastic motiff is the Airport Extreme and Time Capsules.

It could be worse, it could be a clear plastic case with bondi blue on it. :rolleyes:

But seriously, whose to say it doesn't look Apple? As far as I am concerned, a 'sexy' looking phone isn't my priority. It could be UPS brown for all I care, I like the operating system, the apps, the software. Since when was the look of the phone more important then what the phone does? Seriously, remember the first iPhone, the back was fuglyyyyy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.