Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Earlier this month, case manufacturer Case-Mate drew some attention for promotional images that briefly appeared on its site showing cases for the rumored redesigned "iPhone 5" form factor. Case-Mate quickly pulled the page, however, replacing it with a signup form for potential customers to receive information, as well as a note indicating that the company believes that Apple will be releasing both iPhone 4S and iPhone 5 models next month.

Hope for the arrival of the redesigned iPhone 5 form factor has been waning as Apple's media event approaches with no concrete signs of the device, but BGR reports that Case-Mate's iPhone 5 cases have now appeared in AT&T's inventory database.

case_mate_iphone_5_att.jpg

The entries point to three different case designs for the iPhone 5, including versions of its Barely There, Pop!, and Touch Case lines. The appearance of the cases in AT&T's inventory system is certainly not significant evidence that Apple will be introducing a redesigned iPhone 5 next week, but it is interesting that the carrier is apparently at least making the effort to arrange for offering cases based on the design.

Article Link: Case-Mate 'iPhone 5' Cases Headed to AT&T

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
Barely There, for all your protection needs.

Seriously though, it could be that these are just the revision to the iPhone 4's case that they are calling iphone 5 since it is potentially the only model coming out.

yinzers87

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2011
Um, if the image is accurate, then there is definitely an iPhone 5 in that design. AT&T is absolutely aware of what the new iPhone is going to look like, they've already field tested it for network stability at this point. It's not as if AT&T would order cases not knowing if they were going to need them or not. They aren't the greatest mobile service, but they certainly are not complete morons.

FrankySavvy

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2010
Long Island, NY
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8L1)

Why does Macrumors keep shooting down the iPhone 5 rumors?

I think the case matte iPhone 5 cases being sent to AT&T and the WSJ article is pretty good evidence!

Here's to hoping for an iPhone 5! :)

oghowie

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
Barely There, for all your protection needs.

Seriously though, it could be that these are just the revision to the iPhone 4's case that they are calling iphone 5 since it is potentially the only model coming out.

Most people are assuming that if it was the same form factor they wouldn't call it the 5.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
Most people are assuming that if it was the same form factor they wouldn't call it the 5.

Through their own logic. Nothing in Apple's numbering scheme thus far supports that. They only just recently went to the iterative number with iPhone 4.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I'm just glad to see any news pointing to an iPhone 5 with a new design and possible larger screen. Though I'm about to give up hope, a piece of me thinks that maybe Apple just locked down production really good this year. No serious leaks. That or they're putting all the iPhone 4S crap out there to throw people off track, when it's really just the 8GB $99 iPhone 4 model.

I'll be especially disappointed if the iPhone 5 doesn't have 64GB of storage. I'm about full on space as it is. How can we be expected to store 1080p videos? That's going to eat up a lot of space alone!! And don't tell me iCloud. No way any cell network can handle millions of customers constantly uploading large 1080p video files all over the place. At least not in the next several years.

DougFNJ

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2008
NJ
I'll be especially disappointed if the iPhone 5 doesn't have 64GB of storage. I'm about full on space as it is. How can we be expected to store 1080p videos? That's going to eat up a lot of space alone!! And don't tell me iCloud. No way any cell network can handle millions of customers constantly uploading large 1080p video files all over the place. At least not in the next several years.

I second this, not to mention the really good Apps are starting to come in much larger sizes. PLEEEEEEASE Apple, no matter what the design, PLEEEEEASE give us a 64GB option. :apple:

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003

Prepare for disappointment. The only way that would happen is if Apple introduced an additional $399 model, which seems unlikely. 64 GB flash chips are too expensive.

Hedrush

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

msb3079 said:
How is this not "Front Page" news??

It is!

djrod

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2008
Madrid - Spain
Now we have iPhone 5!
Now we don't :(

Now we have iPhone 5!

Now we have iPhone 5!

Etc

Last edited:

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

No bump to 64GB would be a major disappointment. iCloud may cut it in a few years, but not this year or next year. Especially with AT&T and Verizon cracking down on data. Sony has a 64GB player, it's time for Apple to do the same.

- typed from my 64GB iPod Touch 3rd gen.

djrod

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2008
Madrid - Spain
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

No bump to 64GB would be a major disappointment. iCloud may cut it in a few years, but not this year or next year. Especially with AT&T and Verizon cracking down on data. Sony has a 64GB player, it's time for Apple to do the same.

iCloud don't work as a cloud hard drive, you have to download the media to your iPhone so you need the free space in the phone anyway

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD

- typed from my 64GB iPod Touch 3rd gen.

Your iPod touch has 64GB because it can fit two NAND chips. The iPhone can only fit one, so a 64GB chip needs to be available for them to even be able to offer it. That's why you didn't see one on the iPhone 4. I believe solutions exist now, so it's up to apple for the iphone 5.

However, if they adopt a strategy more similar to Amazon's, they won't need to increase it anymore.

Reach9

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2010
In America
Now we have iPhone 5!

Now we have iPhone 5!

Now we have iPhone 5!

Etc

fixed ;)

Regarding the OP, this is fantastic hope..I'm still comparing this to the iPad 2 and believing that we'll see a redesign.

DT80

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2011
iphone 5

I could tell you that my best friend works at AT&T and that he took a picture of his computer screen at work showing the inventory database..

Or i could tell you that I just made my own "inventory database" image with photoshop, took a picture with my iPhone and posted it here.

aww6lg.jpg

Easy as that..

Last edited:

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan
I could tell you that my best friend works at AT&T and that he took a picture of his computer screen at work showing the inventory database..

Or i could tell you that I just made my own "inventory database" image with photoshop, took a picture with my iPhone and posted it here.

Easy as that..

That's what I was about to do!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.