Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
wdlove said:
At least we are still in 20th place. It amazes me that Mac OS X is in 12th place, they have about double the members. As many members as we have here at MacRumors, its a shame that more aren't willing to do folding. It would be nice if our banner could be placed in that large blue space above the icon. Maybe we need some kind of incentive program.

My interest also is personal, since I'm an RN.

What if all 30,000+ members for all time folded for the team? :D

neilrobinson

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2004
Perth, WA, Australia
this is basically a bump with a few idea's

1. Setup a IRC/Chat for a time where we can all get together and discuss folding, eg recruiting people, information etc. etc.

2. Setup a webpage (folding.macrumors.com?) with FAQ's Stats etc - even if we link of extreme overclocking in the start?

3. um havn't though of this one yet! suggestions? :p

neil

jrrodeffer

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2005
wdlove said:
At least we are still in 20th place. It amazes me that Mac OS X is in 12th place, they have about double the members. As many members as we have here at MacRumors, its a shame that more aren't willing to do folding. It would be nice if our banner could be placed in that large blue space above the icon. Maybe we need some kind of incentive program.

My interest also is personal, since I'm an RN.

Hello! I just found your folding forum here via a Google link, and I am a member of Team Mac OS X (number 1971 in Stanford speak), currently ranked #8 on the team and #724 for the Folding@Home Project in total.

I think the success of Team MacOS X is our sense of "community" revolving mainly around folding, (by Mac, PC and Linux systems), mostly undiluted by other central interests, although we have threads on common interests such as Mac hardware, PC overclocking, music, etc.

Our community keeps the issue of folding for the benefit of the science central, all else revolves around that. We tend to retain members who are interested in folding by helping them get started (see our folding-specific install software for Mac, Windows, and Linux), encouraging their efforts, and supporting them when they run into difficulties.

It takes a lot of work by a lot of people, it cannot possibly be done by a few. Keep up your efforts, and those suffering from disease can reap the benefits.

My interest is personal as well, my grandmother died of Alzheimers after a long struggle, and my wife suffers from Celiac Disease.

One of my personal dreams (NOT an authorized viewpoint for the whole Team MacOS X) for the future of folding is the Unification of all Mac folding teams. I know there is a lot of politics involved, perhaps old history of conflicts, but I would hope that someday there is a method for all the Mac teams to unite for the benefit of the Folding@Home Project. If Pande would allow for "consolidation" by use of "sub-teams", without the loss of past performance, that would be a great start. Well, one can always dream! :)

Anyway, nice forums here, see your around. Fold On!
J.R.

RugoseCone

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2002
I think J.R. makes some really good points. Their website and team is more folding-centric, whereas folding seems to be more of a niche for Macrumors members.

Taking us out of that area and generating more "market share" is the responsibility of the team members. Unfortunately there seems to be little discussion on our boards about folding anymore. I think a new topic or a little more activity in this forum section would go a long way towards generating interest. I know seeing a strange topic heading on the front page that intrigued me is what got me to fold. I clicked the link and got interested. Now I'm the 5th (sometimes 6th or 7th) biggest producer on the team.

Speaking of which, Dreadnought, I double dare you to hold me off! ;)

I too would someday like to see a Mac-supergroup, but after all the blood that seemed to get spilled between us and OSX when we passed them and they passed us, I guess it's unlikely. Feelings are still wounded, egos still damaged, and some people still feel the need to stir up the pot. Oh well...

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
I think these ideas are great.

Lets move foward on one of them:

--Banner
--Webpage on MR site
--Live Stats
--Image in Signature

I would make a poll, but again I lack the ability to do so.

I don't care how much complaining, I want atleast one of these great ideas put into action.

Dreadnought

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Almere, The Netherlands
as far as I know, the banner idea was already completly finished (or as good as). So, Arn or any other moderator, first, why isn't this been uploaded on to the frontpage? Second, do you guys feel anything for one of the above mentioned ideas and is this possible?

Common team, we don't want to lose a spot back to the tin cans (a.k.a. knights who say something or nothing...). We need the support of everybody at MacRumors, especially the moderators!

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
:(

image003.gif

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Sample Letter

Sample Letter:

Dear ____ (mod or admin name),
I wish for our MacRumors Folding team to gain more publicity on this great website, I have detailed a desired solution below:
Our folding team would love to have new recruits to help bolster us in our standings, but more importantly to help research the many diseases that the folding project helps research into.
Can i request that we move foward on the ____ (banner, website) idea, it has shown much progress and I believe that this will be very benifical to MacRumors and our folding efforts.
[Note: Please include idea specific features like example for the banner 'the banner animations have been done for quite some time and such that if you wanted to place the banner on the frontpage today, its just that simple!' or for a webpage 'If we get a webpage then we could organize much more efficiently, creating a much stronger bond between members and teammates.']

Thank you very much for your time, ______ (your name)

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
jrrodeffer said:
Hello! I just found your folding forum here via a Google link, and I am a member of Team Mac OS X (number 1971 in Stanford speak), currently ranked #8 on the team and #724 for the Folding@Home Project in total.

I think the success of Team MacOS X is our sense of "community" revolving mainly around folding, (by Mac, PC and Linux systems), mostly undiluted by other central interests, although we have threads on common interests such as Mac hardware, PC overclocking, music, etc.

Our community keeps the issue of folding for the benefit of the science central, all else revolves around that. We tend to retain members who are interested in folding by helping them get started (see our folding-specific install software for Mac, Windows, and Linux), encouraging their efforts, and supporting them when they run into difficulties.

It takes a lot of work by a lot of people, it cannot possibly be done by a few. Keep up your efforts, and those suffering from disease can reap the benefits.

My interest is personal as well, my grandmother died of Alzheimers after a long struggle, and my wife suffers from Celiac Disease.

One of my personal dreams (NOT an authorized viewpoint for the whole Team MacOS X) for the future of folding is the Unification of all Mac folding teams. I know there is a lot of politics involved, perhaps old history of conflicts, but I would hope that someday there is a method for all the Mac teams to unite for the benefit of the Folding@Home Project. If Pande would allow for "consolidation" by use of "sub-teams", without the loss of past performance, that would be a great start. Well, one can always dream! :)

Anyway, nice forums here, see your around. Fold On!
J.R.

An interesting idea of a "Super" Mac Team. Though competition is a good motivator. By creating a super team i think the result may cause a reverse of the intended goal.

RugoseCone

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2002
Dreadnought said:
Mr Macman, you can put my name under that letter, next to yours!

Yeah, I think a petition style letter would be more effective and better rec'd than several letters. Less to sift through for already encumbered mods/admins. Plus we can all unify behind one idea, rather than all of asking for something different forcing them to decide.

Pick the one you like best MrMacman, write it up, and add RugoseCone to the names too.

Capt Underpants

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2003
Austin, Texas
MrMacman said:
Sample Letter:

Dear ____ (mod or admin name),
I wish for our MacRumors Folding team to gain more publicity on this great website, I have detailed a desired solution below:
Our folding team would love to have new recruits to help bolster us in our standings, but more importantly to help research the many diseases that the folding project helps research into.
Can i request that we move foward on the ____ (banner, website) idea, it has shown much progress and I believe that this will be very benifical to MacRumors and our folding efforts.
[Note: Please include idea specific features like example for the banner 'the banner animations have been done for quite some time and such that if you wanted to place the banner on the frontpage today, its just that simple!' or for a webpage 'If we get a webpage then we could organize much more efficiently, creating a much stronger bond between members and teammates.']

Thank you very much for your time, ______ (your name)

Have you sent this letter to the admins yet? If not, you can add my name!

benpatient

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2003
the admins can read as well as anyone else. apparently 15 G5 powerbook rumors a year is OK, but not one mention of fighting disease with your spare CPU time...

*sigh*

brap

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2004
Nottingham
If nothing is happening here, then perhaps it's time for a mass migration to another team..?

Folding for team MacRumors.com is great, but with no interest from those at MacRumors.com, where's the incentive? If you're giving CPU cycles to a team, rather than an abstract group, it must be much more involving.

I'm not about to jump off, not yet... but now (let's play spot the oxymoron) we might as well be folding for team zero.

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
We need to have a true team leader who would talk straight to the admins. We could have a small group of people keeping the site going(which i am willing to help out with) That way the current admins do not need to do this too. We need a core Committee. Any way if we could get some feed back from the mods and admins that would be great!

Dreadnought

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Almere, The Netherlands
This isn't even needed, a couple of the admins are also folders (even our topfolders!) and read these forums too. So, they should know what the active folders are thinking and talking about. It's a shame that the admins don't get involved with this kind of discussions. In the past when we had this sort of discussion, there wasn't an admin around that gave its opinion. Only to shut down the thread when we got too annoying (the banner discussion, where it was and why it wasn't placed on the frontpage of MR, still wondering about that on...).

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
If we had a little online wizard for people to go through that would get the F@H going then they don't have to touch it. It will never bother them yet it helps science. Then if they do want to see how they are doing they can.

atszyman

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2003
The Dallas 'burbs
kilpajr said:
I do have a suggestion. I don't know if it is possible, but could Macrumors put a ranking below the normal one that says Macrumors newbie, Macrumors member, etc. We could have something like Folding Contributor: Level xx. The level could be increased based on the number of points the person has accumulated. I know I wanted to post more when I got close to becoming a member and then a regular so I think adding this status would get more people to fold.

After basically proposing the extreme overclocking site in a different thread thinking it was this one I've been thinking about ways to entice more users to fold.

The above idea is good but what if it were taken one step further and tied to getting an Avatar? Make it something like 100-500 points = 1 post toward your Avatar. At a 100 point to one post ratio it would take newbies 50,000 folding points to get an Avatar (that is if they don't post or only post in the forums that don't count posts). Given the number of people who keep showing up asking about Avatars we could have a great base for increasing our numbers.

Dreadnought

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Almere, The Netherlands
And what if you already got an avatar? Then I would like to have a second one! The idea should also be considered for getting pictures in your signature, or some sort of streaming media. Where it displays your up-to-date F@H/SETI points, the number of finished WU's, teamranking, etc.

atszyman

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2003
The Dallas 'burbs
Dreadnought said:
And what if you already got an avatar? Then I would like to have a second one! The idea should also be considered for getting pictures in your signature, or some sort of streaming media. Where it displays your up-to-date F@H/SETI points, the number of finished WU's, teamranking, etc.

Ok, so it doesn't do much for people who already have an avatar but you've put in enough time that you should just care about the team. Now imagine if half of all of the "how do i get an avatar?" posters put up 20,000+ points in the quest for an avatar. Some might even keep going for the heck of it after they get an Avatar.

I realize that I may sound self serving since I don't yet have an Avatar, but I could really care less about getting one. I just think this could be a good way to boost production for the team.

RugoseCone

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2002
I think this is probably one of the best and most original ideas I've seen presented. Perhaps some of our folding moderators can bring this up as a suggestion at the next symposium...

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
Could some of the moderators and admins look into putting something into action, we would all greatly appreciate it! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.