Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

8f537845-abfc-4e45-b2cd-d6435233c860-500x331.jpg

Apple today introduced a new iOS app called Cards. It's an iOS version of the greeting card-maker built-in to iPhoto, but with a twist -- instead of printing shipping cards to the user, Apple takes care of printing, mailing, and postage -- and sends the card directly to the recipient, with a push notification going to the phone upon delivery.

As iOS SVP Scott Forstall explains, "you create the card on your iPhone, and we'll do the rest."

Users will take pictures, design the card (choosing from 21 different designs), customize the greeting and Apple takes care of the rest. Cards will cost $2.99 each when mailed within the US. The Cards app itself will be a free download, launching October 12th.

Image courtesy This Is My Next

Article Link: Apple's New "Cards" iPhone App Sends Real Holiday Cards

commander.data

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2006
Was this some manager's pet project that they managed to get approved? With all Apple is doing, starting to compete against Hallmark and getting into the printing business seems an odd choice.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Oh no, iCards lives! :eek:

Actually this solves a real-world problem for me—I’m ALWAYS really lame about getting cards out when I should.

And I could use my own art (even painted on iPad) instead of photos, so they'd be more personal than a store-bought card too.

Was this some manager's pet project that they managed to get approved? With all Apple is doing, starting to compete against Hallmark and getting into the printing business seems an odd choice.

Apple’s been printing cards, via iPhoto’s service, for years. This is an evolution of that. Only a small feature. But what’s wrong with developing small features sometimes? I’d hate to use a platform with only the big features!

Cancelled
Jul 23, 2008

They were already in the printing business beforehand with the cards they did from iPhoto so it's not a major step.

nwcs

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
I can see some usefulness for this app. Especially among those people who really like to send thank you notes, reminders, and such. The Post Office will surely love this, too...

commander.data

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2006
Apple’s been printing cards, via iPhoto’s service, for years. This is an evolution of that. Only a small feature. But what’s wrong with developing small features sometimes? I’d hate to use a platform with only the big features!
Hmm. I didn't know it was already done in iPhotos. I guess it's a natural extension and a sign that Apple won't be pulling out of this area any time soon.

None Such

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2006
"Find My Friends" is bad news. It might as well be called Husband Tracker. You know you can't refuse to share your location with your wife.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Cards would've been pretty cool if it integrated with iMessage. Missing iPad support is another missed opportunity.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
I thought I was on the Onion site... this is... an Apple without Steve Jobs.

I was waiting for him to say "We believe the future is in printers!" Seriously, there is nothing wrong with a cards service, but I think it left a bad impression to lead off with that because you know everyone in the audience (and investors watching from home) was thinking "So this is Tim Cook's first big idea?". Not fair, but it was there.

puma25uk

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2008
UK
We created the first app that sends printed cards from an iPhone over a year ago. Our price was and still is $2.99. You can also send postcards for just $0.99. I may have to contact Tim about this. Any idea what to do about this situation?

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/photoraven-send-postcards/id370197152?mt=8

Samsung would love to hear from you. Bet they'll do anything to help put an injunction on any Apple product (or slavish copy of an existing idea ;))
As a fellow developer (non iOS), I feel for you. Sucks to feel gutted, I'm sure...

Seriously, Apple are starting to have too many glass roofs to be throwing stones around :rolleyes:

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
We created the first app that sends printed cards from an iPhone over a year ago. Our price was and still is $2.99. You can also send postcards for just $0.99. I may have to contact Tim about this. Any idea what to do about this situation?

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/photoraven-send-postcards/id370197152?mt=8

If you did not patent it you can't do anything about it.
Also, it seems to Me this is so common that you really can not patent it.
So yeah, as Nonameowns said you're ****ed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.