Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Consequence

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2011
I think Tim is going to do an awesome job, it seems he loved Steve as much as anyone, and as the man given the task of keeping the company on top and Steve's vision alive, he's not gonna disappoint. Long live Mac!

mabaker

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2008
Here's to Tim and his power to propel Apple well into this new century.

iChrist

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2011
3 countries for tax benefit
Ok, I see. But Tim need to focus on continuing Apple for future, not to live in past. Does he have no confidence in self and think he can not match Steve? Is not good to have CEO with low confidence.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Ok, I see. But Tim need to focus on continuing Apple for future, not to live in past. Does he have no confidence in self and think he can not match Steve? Is not good to have CEO with low confidence.

Where do people come up with stuff like this?

bringel

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2011
Recommendation for Tribute to Steve Jobs

I believe a fitting tribute would be for Apple to introduce a special "memorial" line of products with Steve Jobs signature etched into the case(s).
I am quite sure they would be well received by the buying public.
How about it, Tim?

Otaviano

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2007
I believe a fitting tribute would be for Apple to introduce a special "memorial" line of products with Steve Jobs signature etched into the case(s).
I am quite sure they would be well received by the buying public.
How about it, Tim?

To me that is pretty much the reverse of everything Steve Jobs did in his second tenure. Compact and tight product lines, few models, less SKUs. They just made the iPhone a world model so they could produce one phone for all markets.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Wonder what the dress code is? Hope Apple shares some photos of the event - it'd be nice to see what sort of celebrations they are throwing.

Wonder if the retail stores will close early as a sign of respect?

This news bums me out.

It was supposed to be a private company celebration for employees. Now everybody and their brother knows when and where.

I hope some of the wackos out there don't go there and disrupt it.

Shame.

It's on private grounds. There'll no doubt be a police presence around the campus anyhow, just like there was outside Jobs' house after news broke of his death.

wikus

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2011
Planet earth.
To me that is pretty much the reverse of everything Steve Jobs did in his second tenure. Compact and tight product lines, few models, less SKUs. They just made the iPhone a world model so they could produce one phone for all markets.

It really isnt a world phone though, it doesnt have AWS compatibility, so T-Mobile and Wind in Canada are left out. Neither of which are exactly small markets, especially considering Wind is expanding really fast.

Scott6666

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2008
Wonder if they will be checking badges at the door? Maybe I'll just try to slip in unnoticed.

nburns

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2011
Having never met the man, his passing has been, for me, unusually upsetting, to a degree that I have to admit has unsettled me.

My experience has been very similar. I think that part of it is that I really feel horrible for his family. I found it unsettling that he felt the need to have the book written to help explain certain things to his kids. I have no idea how he processed all of that and from what perspective he came from. From my own perspective it must have been tough. And, please know, I am not unsettled because I look down on it all. I just can't imagine the feelings and emotions he most have had, all the while facing death in the face. Just thinking about it regarding my kids makes me emotional.

It just goes to show how much of an impact he really did have on humanity. I'll be surprised if I see someone else as gifted as him in the rest of my life time.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Wonder what the dress code is? Hope Apple shares some photos of the event - it'd be nice to see what sort of celebrations they are throwing.

Wonder if the retail stores will close early as a sign of respect?

It's on private grounds. There'll no doubt be a police presence around the campus anyhow, just like there was outside Jobs' house after news broke of his death.

The White House is secure too yet every once in a while some nutjob jumps the fence. Not to mention the public sidewalks that idiots like westboro can stand on and "picket".

kerosene

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2008
Excellent letter Tim Cook. Apple is in good hands.

I'd really like to see a call for a minute of silence in memory of Steve Jobs. It would seem fitting on Wednesday. Anyone here to propose this to Apple? Macrumors?

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
The White House is secure too yet every once in a while some nutjob jumps the fence. Not to mention the public sidewalks that idiots like westboro can stand on and "picket".

True. But least it's on a campus, so if they were to protest on the sidewalk, they'd probably be a long way away from the actual event, and wouldn't cause any issues.

Only issue would be employees arriving via car into the campus with people protesting outside, but what can you do..

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
No. This is for Steve's family, everyone that worked at Apple with him. We should all respect their privacy.

To be honest, I would have preferred not to know this bit of information. Macrumors isn't TMZ and this is certainly not a "rumor"

The privacy of a company that has thousands of employees, is publicly traded, is hosting and event at an outdoor amphitheater, and has actively engaged the public to send notes to an e-mail address of how they remember Steve? Ok...

guanfo

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2010
Coincidence?

It's interesting to notice that the day (a Wednesday) and the time (10am) of the celebration are very similar to the dates Apple usually holds Keynotes. Maybe it will be streamed.

MartiNZ

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2008
Auckland, New Zealand
The last time I felt this same feeling was when Princess Diana was killed in a car accident in 1998. Rest In Peace Steve.

That is the first parallel I keep drawing too. Similarities in what they stood for, being out to change the world for the better, facing some adversity in the process, and not being allowed to continue it anywhere near as long as they should have been.

As I said in another thread, we got several hours of tv coverage for Diana's funeral; it feels like there should be something large scale for Steve as well - but perhaps it is okay that we are all reacting this time around in 2011 style not 1997 style - all this is more personal, and probably more valuable, the sharing.

And, it just occurs to me, all of the comments we have of surprise at our reactions to the passing of someone we never knew - and we choose absolutely to come here and share these with thousands of people we don't know ... beyond what is important in the context - I like that :).

I had a conversation about religion not long ago, and how at the very least, at a church, you know you're among like-minded people - in a way you do already know a lot about them - conversation can advance quicker as important things do not need to be established. And that is what we have here - no, I'm not suggesting anything, beyond just the benefit of a meeting place for like-minded people - thanks for that MR.

citi

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2006
Simi Valley, CA
The privacy of a company that has thousands of employees, is publicly traded, is hosting and event at an outdoor amphitheater, and has actively engaged the public to send notes to an e-mail address of how they remember Steve? Ok...

If you can't see the difference there are larger issues. The ampitheater is on private grounds, the invitation is for staff. Publicly traded has absolutely nothing to do with it. The President is an elected offical yet, strangely, I don't know every detail of his day to day operation. How dare he.

The public request to send email notes was just that, public.

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
It's interesting to notice that the day (a Wednesday) and the time (10am) of the celebration are very similar to the dates Apple usually holds Keynotes. Maybe it will be streamed.
Apple's product announcements are typically on Tuesdays, not Wednesdays.

It will likely be streamed to other Apple offices, hence the 10am time makes sense for North America. I doubt if the public would have access to the video feed.

In any case, they can't really have the memorial on Tuesday the 18th. That's the day of their Q4 financial earnings conference call (after the market closes).

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
If you can't see the difference there are larger issues. The ampitheater is on private grounds, the invitation is for staff. Publicly traded has absolutely nothing to do with it. The President is an elected offical yet, strangely, I don't know every detail of his day to day operation. How dare he.

The public request to send email notes was just that, public.

And they've allowed internal e-mails regarding Steve's passing to become public. I don't think it's as clear cut as you make it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.