Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

jobs_will_be_missed.jpg

Tributes to Steve Jobs outside Covent Garden store, London (Source: Sam Parry)
MacGeneration shares an internal email from Apple CEO Tim Cook to company employees informing them of a private celebration of Steve Jobs' life, scheduled for October 19th on the company's campus in Cupertino, California.
Team,

Like many of you, I have experienced the saddest days of my lifetime and shed many tears during the past week. But I've found some comfort in the extraordinary number of tributes and condolences from people all over the world who were touched by Steve and his genius. And I've found comfort in both telling and listening to stories about Steve.

Although many of our hearts are still heavy, we are planning a celebration of his life for Apple employees to take time to remember the incredible things Steve achieved in his life and the many ways he made our world a better place. The celebration will be held on Wednesday, October 19, at 10am in the outdoor amphitheater on the Infinite Loop campus. We'll have more details on AppleWeb closer to the date, including arrangements for employees outside of Cupertino.

I look forward to seeing you there.

Tim
Jobs passed away last Wednesday, with Cook noting in a company-wide email sent soon after that the company was planning such a celebration. A small, private funeral was held for Jobs on Friday. No public events are scheduled, although many of Apple's retail stores around the world have become shrines where those wishing to pay tribute to Jobs have left notes, flowers, and other items of remembrance.

Article Link: Apple to Hold Private Celebration of Steve Jobs' Life on October 19th

Jobsian

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2009
Having never met the man, his passing has been, for me, unusually upsetting, to a degree that I have to admit has unsettled me.

SwiftLives

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2001
Charleston, SC
I wish they'd do a public memorial. On the other hand, I do respect that Jobs was a very private man.

Last edited by a moderator:

joefrat

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2008
Me too

Having never met the man, his passing has been, for me, unusually upsetting, to a degree that I have to admit has unsettled me.

I too felt the same way. It surprised me, having never met him either. It seems like by using his products we did in fact know him on some level.

reden

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2006
You know at first I was sad that there will be no public tribute to Jobs. However, I realized this man has received one of the most massive virtual tributes I think this world has ever seen. A genius that will always be remembered.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
This news bums me out.

It was supposed to be a private company celebration for employees. Now everybody and their brother knows when and where.

I hope some of the wackos out there don't go there and disrupt it.

Shame.

rsocal

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2008
Southern Ca
I too felt the same way. It surprised me, having never met him either. It seems like by using his products we did in fact know him on some level.

I'm with both of you and I believe he really put himself into all Apple products.
I held him as my true idol, I love the way he did things to get the end product.
He truly wanted the user experience grand and I think he hit the mark 99% of the time!::apple::apple::apple:

kycophpd

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2009
Louisville, Kentucky
I hope the burglars last night did not upset the memorial posted in the photo on this thread. They can steal iPads and iPhones and MacBooks, but I'll fly my happy rear to London and get them myself if they disgraced Steve's memorial.

citi

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2006
Simi Valley, CA
I'd like to see some footage from this tribute. Hopefully some employees film it.

No. This is for Steve's family, everyone that worked at Apple with him. We should all respect their privacy.

To be honest, I would have preferred not to know this bit of information. Macrumors isn't TMZ and this is certainly not a "rumor"

Abyssgh0st

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2009
Colorado
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5313e Safari/7534.48.3)

Hoping the Westboro Baptist Church doesn't make an appearance.

Aduntu

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2010
This news bums me out.

It was supposed to be a private company celebration for employees. Now everybody and their brother knows when and where.

I hope some of the wackos out there don't go there and disrupt it.

Shame.

This leak was a decoy, and you just bit.

Apple 1, Peace 0

rroach3753

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2008

The last time I felt this same feeling was when Princess Diana was killed in a car accident in 1998. Rest In Peace Steve.

wikus

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2011
Planet earth.
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5313e Safari/7534.48.3)

Hoping the Westboro Baptist Church doesn't make an appearance.

I hope they do show up to the wrong funeral some day, like a famous MMA fighter or boxer and have their asses handed to them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.