Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dblumberg

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2006
I just contacted Apple. The lady on the phone told me that if you did not purchase AppleCare+ with the phone, they will make an exception for those who pre-ordered the phones on the 7th. Bring your email confirmation to the Apple Store and they will sell you an AppleCare+.

movieator

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2009
LA, CA
So it sounds like this is just in the case of accidental damage? I assume that OEM issues and such still fall under the standard warranty.

I'll be willing to wait and see the stories that come out about people's experiences in this regard before I make a rash judgement that Apple's customer service is going to go to ****.

nampramos

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2010
From what I've read so far I understood this:

There is no Apple Care+ available on the Canadian Online Apple Store for carrier free iPhone 4S and even if there was, it wouldn't cover accidental damage if damage happened in Europe, for example.

iAmYou

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2010
Thanks goes to all those people who have their phones replaced because of a fleck of dust.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
I always get AppleCare -- but I've never expected it use it as an extended warranty. I get it for the unlimited tech support. I can call Apple or walk into a genius bar any time and have any questions answered or problems solved. To me, that's been worth the extra money.

In all my years owning Apple products, I've never had one with a defect that the original warranty didn't cover. I consider "AppleCare" synonymous with "Tech Support."

DrDomVonDoom

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2010
Fairbanks, Ak
The way I can see how this is a good thing is in the cases that Apple will NOT replace your phone, its basically a guarentee that you can get your iPhone replaced if something happens to your phone. I bought AppleCare with my iMac and my iPhone and when my 3GS had went tits up, they sent me a new phone.

I have faith in AppleCare, but then like my dad always says to the retail clerk "Why do I need a warrenty is it gonna break?" lol.

sweetbrat

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2009
Redford, MI
Also in my experience apple does not give you a "new" device for warranty replacement, they used refurbished devices. At least they have in the past when I made in warranty claims on past iPhones.

Huh, that's interesting. My husband has had his iPhone 4 replaced twice, and both times they gave him a brand new one, not a refurb.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Letting Apple Genius' have the leeway has always been a liability. A liability that Apple was obviously OK with. But consider that as iPhone sales/user base increases - so does that liability. At some point - they can't or won't tolerate it. This policy makes decent business sense no matter how much it ruffles feathers. I would imagine many of the replacements they gave under the loose policy were catering to perfectionists who knew about the policy and were abusing it - or at least taking somewhat advantage of it. Those will be the people who whine the loudest on this thread/down vote the reality of the situation.

Truth is - this new(er) policy won't affect most of the general public who don't obsess about the exact color temperature of their phones, a minor scratch they, themselves put on the device, etc.

eme jota ce

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2005
Chicago
Just go with Squaretrade. I got 2 years of coverage on my iPad 2 for like $60.

Squaretrade is offering a limited time special for iPhone 4S coverage that is on sale for $99 with a $50 deductible for claims based on accidents.

Sounds very similar to AppleCare+

Maybe they will react to this news with a better offer.

O and A

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
New York City
don't get the negativity. if you don't believe in it don't get it.

i for one have bought apple care for every apple device i've purcahsed and my business has purchased.

it has always ended up saving me money.

on 4 mac pros, and 4 mac book pros, 3 iphones, 6 apple cinema dispalys. and two ipads.

3 mac pros had problems whcih exceeded teh cost of apple care. one of them had problems 3 different times.

1 ipad1 replaced because of dead pixels. and then replaced again because of light leakage.

2 apple cinema displays eventually started flickering and were replaced by apple care.

3 macbook pros were all repaired by apple care. one had the entire screen housing replaced because the isight didn't work, the logic board and optical drive replaced.

So for me Its saved my ass a bunch of times. For others i can see they've never had issues. To each his own.

I've ordered two new iphone 4s's with apple care +. Its cheaper than the carriers insurance.

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
Huh, that's interesting. My husband has had his iPhone 4 replaced twice, and both times they gave him a brand new one, not a refurb.

The replacements I have received have always been refurb, but Apple replaces all the exterior parts with new ones so it looks Brand New. Not sure how much wear and tear the internals actually take since I believe everything except the Vibrate Motor is non-moving.

law guy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2003
Western Massachusetts
I hope that Apple isn't changing one of it's best loyalty creation features - the ability of the Apple Store employees to fix / replace things without charge. This has wowed me in the past and created or enforced tremendous appreciation and loyalty that has translated into additional purchases. I've seen several posts of the years from friends who had an iPhone issue and note how they've just had the Apple employee say - "no problem" and replaced their phone for free. Again, they are out there raving on Twitter or FB about really good customer service that dramatically exceeds their expectations. It would be a shame if they've hired the business pricing consultant that HP is using to find some additional short-term dollars.

darthraige

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2007
Coruscant, but Boston will do.
The replacements I have received have always been refurb, but Apple replaces all the exterior parts with new ones so it looks Brand New. Not sure how much wear and tear the internals actually take since I believe everything except the Vibrate Motor is non-moving.

Curious. Did your refurb come in a brand new box as if it has never been opened before?

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
Damn. Well, I knew the generous flexibility had to end at some point. Thankfully, the genius replaced my water damaged iPhone 4 this weekend without charging me.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
This is good for Apple. It will help them from losing money on this. Hopefully it will add to the quarterly profits. I don't mind paying more as long as it helps Apple.

Simplicated

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2008
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
I don't mind apple raising their prices. It's all about the user experience.

... Except that now it requires you to purchase the program along with the device, giving you no time to decide on whether to get the program in the complimentary warranty period. That's user experience, in terms of choice. :rolleyes:

thetexan

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2009
Even though the article clearly states that they will not do it, I bet it will still happen since Apple has always taken care of us customers. If not then I will take my money elsewhere. I buy products from companies that treat me well and I'm not afraid to move on

So if you damage your phone, you expect a free replacement or else you are going elsewhere? Ah, I love the American attitude.

d3bruts1d

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2009
TN
To add to the confusion, I called the local (Knoxville, TN) Apple Store and asked about AC+. I told them that I pre-ordered my iPhone 4S though AT&T and was interested in also getting AC+. They told me that I should have been able to purchase it when I ordered my phone... even though that wasn't an option. I was then told to contact AT&T and Apple wouldn't be able to sell it to me.

I then called up Apple's 1-800-MY-APPLE and spoke to someone in sales (Charline, I think it was). They said that I can call up on Friday and have it added to the phone... which, trying to get through on Friday is likely to suck.

JohnnyQuest

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2006
So for those who didn't purchase AppleCare+, what about the first year of warranty? No more free replacements even though the phone is still under warranty?

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
Things break without abuse. I had an iPhone 4 with an unresponsive home button that was replaced on the spot 6 months out of warranty. A phone should not break that quick but its not a problem as it was replaced with minimal hassle.

If I buy a laptop worth what a lot of people earn in a month, I want it to last more than a year. Get it?

If you buy your laptop and it doesn't last a year with Apple and it wasn't something you did, they will still fix it for free. That hasn't changed. That's called covering it under your standard warranty. Also, if you buy apple care, that standard warranty is extended and under the extended period it will still be covered for free (long as it is a defect rather than you doing something to break it).

What has changed is they are no longer going to give the genius's leeway to replace your iPhone for free when *you* do something to break it (the stuff that isn't covered under warranty like water damage or dropping it).

If that is your issue than you need reading comprehension cause they didn't say they were changing their standard warranty. Just that they are no longer allowing genius's at their discretion to waive the 199 dollar replacement fee when you bring it in for something *you* did to it.

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009

they probobly dobt have it in canada because its only a two year warranty and the contracts in canada are for three years and they didnt want to have a special warranty with a higher price in Canada

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.