Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sweetbrat

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2009
Redford, MI
Hi there! :)

You have to wonder if customer service isn't one of the first areas to take a hit in Steve's absence.

This isn't changing the fact that you'll get good customer service at the Apple Store. Then again, I don't expect them to replace something that I've broken or something that's out of warranty. What this new program WILL do is ensure that people that purchase Applecare+ will have an easy way to get their phone repaired/replaced. No more hoping you can talk the Genius into doing a favor for you. I'd rather pay the $99 up front and KNOW that my problem will get taken care of than have to plead my case and hope that a salesperson takes pity on me, knowing that if they don't it will cost me $200 for a new phone.

bytethese

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2007
So let me get this straight, it's $99 for a warranty that I still have to pay $49 when I file a claim? So it's $148 for one claim? I'll take my chances that in 2 years I'll need a new device (broken screens aren't covered) and if needed, just pay the $199 for out-of-warranty service. It's a $51 gamble sure, but given that most people would break the thing before an actual component goes bad (batteries and screens are not too complicated to replace) I'll take that "gamble". :)

EDIT: Seems this now includes accidental damage (screens covered) but for that additional $49, making one claim $148. Parts are cheaper to order on their own and I'm personally comfortable taking the thing apart to replace something, given that I have worked on 3 iPhone 4's, mine included. :)

Last edited:

citi

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2006
Simi Valley, CA
I don't think we should confuse a malfunctioning product vs a damaged product. They are two different things. My seal was coming off of my ipad and I brought it in. They replaced it on sight and I would have expected no less. However, if I drop my ipad/iphone and it starts malfunctioning, it has never crossed my mind to go con a new one at the store. That's when your "insurance" should kick in.

Ryan311

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2011
I had a similar problem when talking to both Verizon and Apple, I was told I could call in to have it turned on (which was confirmed by a Verizon rep who called Apple) and then was told I had to personally bring it on the 14th and only the 14th to receive it. At this point I'll just exhaust all options when I get the phone, hopefully I can get covered.

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
Apple Care is a waste of money. I have tons of friends who work at the Apple Store and they say just walk in with a smile, feed them the usual of how much you lover their products, blab blah blah, and they'll bend over backwards for you and fix or replace for free. Works all the time.

So on my 27" iMac that is two years old that just had a HD and Superdrive replaced could have been done for free without AppleCare??? Who would have thought.

I highly doubt that would have happened, plus when I get ready to sell it over the next few months, I will easily get my money back on the AppleCare as the new buyer will have peace of mind and be willing to shell out additional cash to buy my iMac. It worked last time and I got a pretty penny for my 2 year old 20" iMac I sold before I bought the current one that I have.

Last edited:

futch

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2008
Now we have to come into the stores to purchase AppleCare+ if we pre-ordered without it thinking we'd have a year?

Has someone tried calling Apple and been able to order it after they placed the pre-order? I too do not want to go into the store to but it before I open my phone.

sweetbrat

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2009
Redford, MI
Now we have to come into the stores to purchase AppleCare+ if we pre-ordered without it thinking we'd have a year?

I called Apple about this the other day and was told that once I have my phone I can call with the serial # and they can add it for me. The person I talked to was Rose, and she was very nice. She better have told me the truth!! :)

Corey Grandy

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2009
Nova Scotia, Canada
So, despite the fact that it seems to be U.S. only, what if the closest Apple Store is half a country away from me? Am I expected to take a road trip halfway across the country with my unopened phone to purchase Applecare+? Seems a tad ridiculous.

sweetbrat

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2009
Redford, MI
So let me get this straight, it's $99 for a warranty that I still have to pay $49 when I file a claim? So it's $148 for one claim? I'll take my chances that in 2 years I'll need a new device (broken screens aren't covered) and if needed, just pay the $199 for out-of-warranty service. It's a $51 gamble sure, but given that most people would break the thing before an actual component goes bad (batteries and screens are not too complicated to replace) I'll take that "gamble". :)

Yes, broken screens are covered. The $49 to file a claim is ONLY if it's an accidental damage claim. If something just goes wrong with the phone through no fault of your own then you don't pay the $49. Go read the specifics on the Apple website so you can make an informed decision.

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
So people bitching about this being bad customer service...

So not replacing your item that *you* broke is bad customer service? I think then being nice and sometimes waiving the replacement fee for something I did was above and beyond but it's not something I would *expect* out of them.

You guys are spoiled and the reason I hate the guy who said, "The customer is always right." Cause I'm sorry, the customer is not always right or reasonable and companies who cater to you guys have made you guys think that it is to be *expected* and not just them being really nice. And you guys are being spoiled brats if you expect that Apple should replace the item you broke or else you are going elsewhere.

MacinDoc

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2004
The Great White North
Hi there! :)

You have to wonder if customer service isn't one of the first areas to take a hit in Steve's absence.
Why? Steve was not necessarily known as a nice person. Brilliant, yes, responsive to customers, not so much (although near the end, he seemed to take a slightly more personal approach with a few customers with his abrupt one word replies to their email questions). He paid less attention to what customers wanted now than to what he envisioned them wanting in the future. That is how, through Apple, he redefined more than one generation of consumers, first with the iPod, then the iTunes Store, then the iPhone, and finally the iPad.

foodog

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Ok, I will let you know. I have had 2 HDs replaced for free in my Macbook. No AppleCare. The guy working there at the time pretty much told me it was my fault. Heck, I didnt even have to smile to ge the replacements. ;)

You are the one person in the world that doesn't have to buy Applecare for anything, damages the harware and gets it fixed. You should play the lottery.

fblack

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
USA
So, I guess this means that with the increase from $69 to $99 Apple is admitting that the phone breaks down easier? Either that or its just another way to pad the bottom line. Sorry, I wont be buying this rip off.:mad:

Hardtimes

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2011
You bought the MacBook for its customer service? Not for Mac OS X? Not for its beautifully design Aluminum case? I guess you came from another company with a lot of heartache.

Yep, I don't care for shiny stuff unless its free.

I like OSX and Windows 7 just the same for productivity and efficiency (I don't care for dicking around).

As I said, if Apple wasn't so amazing at customer service I would have just saved my money and had products that were just as good for cheaper.

I don't buy the 'apple magic' - I buy what I need to get the job done.

sweetbrat

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2009
Redford, MI
So, I guess this means that with the increase from $69 to $99 Apple is admitting that the phone breaks down easier? Either that or its just another way to pad the bottom line. Sorry, I wont be buying this rip off.:mad:

No...they're covering accidental damage now, which they didn't before.

Apparently people can't be bothered to actually read details about the program. It's easier to just complain about something you're not informed about. :rolleyes:

furgs

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2011
This program isn't available in Canada, and I don't understand why. iPhones don't suffer damage from dropsies or water here? I'd also like to see this program extended to the iPad.

For Canadians, I have read that Rogers will not offer AppleCare when you purchase a device however I spoke with someone at AppleCare through the phone and they said I could easily sign up for it once I get the 4S from my carrier (since i'm doing an early hardware upgrade).

She said she recommends purchasing it within 90 days of purchase but from what I understood you can buy AppleCare no problem. Hope that helps.

futch

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2008
For those of you with an iPhone 4, how durable has it been?

I have owned the 3gs for almost 2 years and have dropped it so many times on concrete, tile, asphalt, etc. and outside of getting scratched the phone still works and the screen has never shattered. The biggest damage is a half inch long hairline crack at the bottom where the charging cable plugs in.

Can I expect similar durability? Or will the front/back glass break easily on the iPhone 4/iPhone 4s? I'm not worried about scratches, just broken/shattered glass.

Thanks.

mathewr

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2007
im on the phone with apple right now. ill let everyone know how it goes. my phone is in preparing for shipment mode so thats causing a bigger issue cause nothing can be added to the order.

edit: just finished the phone call with apple.. they were able to add the apple care plus to my order.

Last edited:

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004

This was my first thought... $99 up front, $49 IF I break it in the next two years, or $199 ONLY IF I break it? Seems like a pretty crappy deal.

Are we reading this right? Will Apple replace a damaged device for $199 regardless of AppleCare+ status, or is that only for defective units out of warranty not physically damaged?

foodog

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2006
Atlanta, GA

That is better than the rip off assurion care you get from the mobile phone provider. Verizon is almost 11.00 a month and 100.00 deductable for a claim. I'll take 99 for two years with a 49 deductable every day.

AppleDroid

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2011
Illinois
Plus this is normal for a growing business. Start of with a new product (iPhone) and offer ridiculously cheap/good/fast service sometimes for free by walking into an Apple Store and being nice to a genius there.

Now they are selling millions of the things they cannot, and unwilling to, shoulder the cost of replacing your kids phone that they broke while skydiving FOR FREE.

So people bitching about this being bad customer service...

So not replacing your item that *you* broke is bad customer service? I think then being nice and sometimes waiving the replacement fee for something I did was above and beyond but it's not something I would *expect* out of them.

You guys are spoiled and the reason I hate the guy who said, "The customer is always right." Cause I'm sorry, the customer is not always right or reasonable and companies who cater to you guys have made you guys think that it is to be *expected* and not just them being really nice. And you guys are being spoiled brats if you expect that Apple should replace the item you broke or else you are going elsewhere.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.