Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mess

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2008
Newcastle Upon Tyne, UK
Installing now. Looking forward to iCloud and playing around with that. However I am unsure about upgrading to iOS5 and losing my jailbreak. Decisions decisions...:cool:

The current ios 5 JB is very stable on the GM. I'm currently running that with no issues... :cool:

Oh and this update isnt showing up on my software update option so have downloaded it :rolleyes:

lozanoj83

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2006
Southern California
I meant iTunes Wi-Fi syncing not iCloud backups.

Speaking of backups, it appears that if you have iCloud backups turned on then iTunes doesn't do backups when you sync. You have to toggle iCloud backups off to sync locally to iTunes (both wirelessly and by USB). I just assumed you could do both without toggling a control on/off each time.

This is true. You can only backup one way, either iCloud or iTunes. However, you can sync both wirelessly and locally through USB even if you use iCloud or iTunes to backup.

Frankied22

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

When do you guys think iOS 5 will release tomorrow, based on previous releases?

SkippyThorson

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2007
Utica, NY
Downloading and installing now. Going very quickly, actually.

I have one gripe. Wifi syncing is great and all, but really, since the computer it syncs to has to be on AND the device must be plugged in to a power source, what do I have to gain?

I still have to turn my computer on either way, I still have to plug in my iPhone either way, and so I might as well just sync it via cable and save myself some time.

Same for my iPad that's synced to my MacBook. If both are portable, and both have to be on the same Wifi network, and my iPad needs to be plugged in, I might as well sync it via cable.

Even if I plug my iPhone into the dock that's connected to my TV downstairs, I still have to go upstairs to turn my iMac on. This will be an unused feature for me, I think.

Last edited:

apprunner

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2010
Wi-Fi syncing was one of my most anticipated features, but it turns out that it sucks. Your iPhone/iPad still has to be plugged into a power source. Cut the cord my butt.

No. Just hit the "Sync Now" button and you will sync without being attached to the cord. Just did it and it works great. Also, if you keep the iPhone on, you have access to the iPhone as if its corded (can move apps around and other things). Pretty nice... :D

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Your iPhone/iPad doesn't need to be plugged into a power source to sync wirelessly. Apple just says that so people don't go syncing when their battery level is at 2%.

HelveticaNeue

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
This is true. You can only backup one way, either iCloud or iTunes. However, you can sync both wirelessly and locally through USB even if you use iCloud or iTunes to backup.

Sorry, I mis-typed. I corrected my post. I meant "backup locally" not "sync locally". I guess it is difficult for my brain to separate backup from sync since they have both been done simultaneously for so long.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
Wi-Fi syncing was one of my most anticipated features, but it turns out that it sucks. Your iPhone/iPad still has to be plugged into a power source. Cut the cord my butt.

No you don't. You can initiate a wifi sync manually when not charging.

machattan

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2011
iTunes Match

Is it just me, or is Match not available in this release? I don't see it in any of the options menus or iTunes Store?

Edit: Maybe 10.7.2 is required.

In the media event they said Match would be available at the end of the month :)

vitzr

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2011
California
Not that it's new, but the icon looks more Disney-esq than ever, and that's Great !

Hey, at least Mickey brings a little humor :)

MickeyMouse.jpg

gibbz

macrumors 68030
May 31, 2007
Norman, OK
Sorry, I mis-typed. I corrected my post. I meant "backup locally" not "sync locally". I guess it is difficult for my brain to separate backup from sync since they have both been done simultaneously for so long.

Can you not just force a local backup by right-clicking the iPhone under the device list in iTunes?

Darth.Titan

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
Austin, TX

No. It only syncs automatically via WiFi when you're plugged into power. You can still manually initiate a wireless sync when on battery under Settings->General->iTunes WiFi Sync.

Just FYI

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.