Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Unboxing photos via Electronista
Stores along the east coast of the U.S. have now started selling the iPhone 4S with the rest of the country to follow over the next few hours. The worldwide launch has seen large crowds at several locations, though some readers are finding it specific stores or areas with few crowds.

New York City's 5th Avenue Apple Store did draw a large crowd but according to AppleInsider the line was shorter at that location than the iPhone 4 launch.

The new iPhone 4S comes with a faster processor, improved camera and new voice technology called Siri.

One person has already posted a side-by-side video comparing the video recording of the iPhone 4 to the iPhone 4S:

Siri, of course, is the new feature that many are anxious to try out. Apple has done a great job including many humorous responses in Siri. ThisisMyNext highlighted many of these:

Some early users are finding that Siri is having trouble with specific accents. Map integration also seems limited to the U.S. We expect to see many more reviews and evaluations of the device as it more people start receiving the device. Many early adopters are posting in our iPhone forum with questions and impressions of their new devices.

Apple saw more 1 million in pre-orders for the iPhone 4S with analyst predictions for opening weekend ranging from 2 to 4 million.

Article Link: iPhone 4S Launches in the U.S. with A5, Better Camera, and Siri

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Best phone ever . . . until the iPhone 5, which is the phone that I will be getting.

Glad to see that Siri has a sense of humor, I am sure people will be spending more time with that aspect than getting directions from it.

Both video samples do look the same to me, like cell phones with tiny sensors footage. I am just going to assume its YouTube compression.

parasitius

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2011
accent

"finding that Siri is having trouble with specific accents"

Yeah good, maybe these people can learn to talk right

Americans have wayyyy too much patience with foreign or screwed up accents because they don't learn foreign languages. Ever since learning a new language I have had absolutely no pity on college professors that have been in US 20+ years and still can't speak comprehensibly. Their LAZINESS is being inflicted on everyone around them, THEY are the rude ones who should be punished. A small accent might be unavoidable, but thick accents are nothing but being LAZY

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination

Americans have wayyyy too much patience with foreign or screwed up accents because they don't learn foreign languages. Ever since learning a new language I have had absolutely no pity on college professors that have been in US 20+ years and still can't speak comprehensibly. Their LAZINESS is being inflicted on everyone around them, THEY are the rude ones who should be punished. A small accent might be unavoidable, but thick accents are nothing but being LAZY

You can't be serious. :confused:

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001

Attachments

• siri_weird_verge2.jpg
    siri_weird_verge2.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 2,651

p3gamer

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2008
I got mine this morning. Is it me or is the glass not as slippery as the 4? Maybe it's because my oily fingers haven't been on it long enough.

Mr. Pezman

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2011
So sad I just got an email from UPS that mine was only shipped yesterday. Boo! Guess I'll stand in line this morning and try to get one now. Rogers has no problem canceling my pre-order if I succeed.

Nocaster

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2009

You're a tool

delonh92

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2011
Liverpool NY
Best phone ever . . . until the iPhone 5, which is the phone that I will be getting.

Glad to see that Siri has a sense of humor, I am sure people will be spending more time with that aspect than getting directions from it.

Both video samples do look the same to me, like cell phones with tiny sensors footage. I am just going to assume its YouTube compression.

Watch the video in 1080p and you can see the difference

Last edited:

Hawk7883

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2011
Location Date Local Time Activity
Miami, FL, United States 10/14/2011 3:47 A.M. Out For Delivery
Miami, FL, United States 10/13/2011 8:20 P.M. Departure Scan
10/13/2011 6:54 P.M. Arrival Scan
Louisville, KY, United States 10/13/2011 4:38 P.M. Departure Scan
10/13/2011 7:53 A.M. Import Scan
Anchorage, AK, United States 10/12/2011 8:48 P.M. Departure Scan
10/12/2011 5:49 P.M. Arrival Scan
Chek Lap Kok, Hong Kong 10/13/2011 12:49 A.M. Departure Scan
Chek Lap Kok, Hong Kong 10/12/2011 10:00 P.M. Arrival Scan
Shenzhen, China 10/12/2011 4:50 P.M. Departure Scan
10/12/2011 7:53 A.M. Origin Scan
China 10/12/2011 12:44 A.M. Order Processed: Ready for UPS

I'm can't stop looking out the window.lol:D:D

jmpnop

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2010
I was really impressed by the camera, stabilization is really good, low-light performance is awesome, colors are vibrant and overall a great camera. Gotta see how this stacks up against Galaxy S2 and Nexus Prime...

guch20

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2011
Michigan, USA
Lined up at my local Sprint store, was second in line. They had a total of two iPhone 4S's and both were reserved. Now mind you, I put my name on that same reserve list on the day the phone was announced. However, I was fourth on that list, so they didn't have enough for me.

So I bought a Galaxy SII instead...

No, just kidding (about the Galaxy, not about being screwed over for the iPhone). I'd rather wait til Monday for a 4S than get a POS like the SII today.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA

This is pretty harsh because I would think trying to get rid of an accent might not be easy, however people cannot expect Siri to work with strong accents and Apple shouldn't be to blame if it doesn't work in this case.

The video quality on the 4s is amazing. More color and detail. DAMN WHY DID I HAVE TO GO AND GET THE IPHONE 4 2 MONTHS AGO!!

Go buy one retail. That's why they make Credit Cards! :)

delonh92

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2011
Liverpool NY
This is pretty harsh because I would think trying to get rid of an accent might not be easy, however people cannot expect Siri to work with strong accents and Apple shouldn't be to blame if it doesn't work in this case.

Go buy one retail. That's why they make Credit Cards! :)

I don't have a credit card. I'm 19, And the stupid people wouldn't give me one.....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.