Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tbobmccoy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2007
Austin, TX
Having a iPhone 4 moved up to iOS 5, I see very little reason to upgrade today. I am overjoyed with the improvements to the iPhone now, and I am pretty confident that most developers will still keep the iPhone 4 in mind when writing apps for compatibility. Sure, there will be the odd app that needs the iPhone 4S, but that's why I have an iPad 2, which has better performance than the 4S anyway :D

mikethebigo

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2009
That electronista picture in the article is the primary reason I didn't buy white. It looks really annoying to have such a bright border.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Both video samples do look the same to me, like cell phones with tiny sensors footage. I am just going to assume its YouTube compression.

I hate these "quality tests" on Youtube. Even at 1080p YT tends to have a sort of 'mushiness' to it. My personal iPhone 4 footage and work-related Sony EX3 ($8,000) footage tend to look pretty similar on Youtube.

Watch them on a monitor straight from the source and you'll get a different impression.

Still, that sample was good enough to show that the 4S stabilizer is pretty awesome.

Leaping Tortois

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
This is pretty harsh because I would think trying to get rid of an accent might not be easy, however people cannot expect Siri to work with strong accents and Apple shouldn't be to blame if it doesn't work in this case.

I think it's actually very short sighted and very arrogent to not try to make the phone work with different accents. My GS2 has worked fine with British, American and Australian (my) accent. Admittedly the voice control isn't as sofisticated, but it seems that my phone picks up voice just as well as siri. The biggest difference I can see is that Siri is far better integrated, but what use is that if it can't understand me if there's a little background noise... Anyways... Just my 2c because I would really like to see voice features that work regardless of background noise. Maybe Siri will improve with that. We'll see :)

Damitri

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2007
New York, NY
Dynamic range

The camera seems much improved. Sure the stabilizer is fine but check out the dynamic range! Way way better in with the iP4S. More detail in the shadows without blowing out the highlights. Also color balance seems to be warmer (good) than the iP4. Hope all that carries over to sill shots as well.

Jdterry

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2008
Best phone ever . . . until the iPhone 5, which is the phone that I will be getting.

Glad to see that Siri has a sense of humor, I am sure people will be spending more time with that aspect than getting directions from it.

Both video samples do look the same to me, like cell phones with tiny sensors footage. I am just going to assume its YouTube compression.

Whoa! they don't look the same at all. 4s has warmer colors, more details, and better light sensitivity.

bradkrischel

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2010
USA
"finding that Siri is having trouble with specific accents"

Yeah good, maybe these people can learn to talk right

Americans have wayyyy too much patience with foreign or screwed up accents because they don't learn foreign languages. Ever since learning a new language I have had absolutely no pity on college professors that have been in US 20+ years and still can't speak comprehensibly. Their LAZINESS is being inflicted on everyone around them, THEY are the rude ones who should be punished. A small accent might be unavoidable, but thick accents are nothing but being LAZY

You consider that rude, yet you make a post like this...? Pot calling the kettle black?
-Your fellow American

Clown Boy

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2008
Sadly Siri doesn't understand my Scottish accent, however when I put on a fake yankee American accent it understands me.

So to sum up Apple think America is the centre of the universe and I am just about to return my iPhone 4S and get a Nexus Prime.

Apple suck

HitchHykr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2007
Virginia
"finding that Siri is having trouble with specific accents"

Yeah good, maybe these people can learn to talk right

Americans have wayyyy too much patience with foreign or screwed up accents because they don't learn foreign languages. Ever since learning a new language I have had absolutely no pity on college professors that have been in US 20+ years and still can't speak comprehensibly. Their LAZINESS is being inflicted on everyone around them, THEY are the rude ones who should be punished. A small accent might be unavoidable, but thick accents are nothing but being LAZY

Sorry but learning the language in southern Alabama is not learning a "new language" :rolleyes:

fenwah

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2011
The side by side video is interesting. The stabilizer makes a pretty big difference. I also noticed the colors on the 4S are much warmer and lifelike than that of the 4. Nice job to the person who did the video comparison.

BTW, my phone is on the FedEx truck right now. GIVE IT TO ME NOW! :D

I8P'CS

Suspended
Jul 29, 2010
This is pretty harsh because I would think trying to get rid of an accent might not be easy, however people cannot expect Siri to work with strong accents and Apple shouldn't be to blame if it doesn't work in this case.

Go buy one retail. That's why they make Credit Cards! :)

Or enjoy the 4 skip the 4s and reap the benefits of ip5 with same as ip4s but new design and a little extra. You will only notice speed difference if you ara a gamer. Each to their own though but if you have a 4 just be happy you have a phone.

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
Yay!!!

Showed up this morning at my local Apple Store (Florida Mall, Orlando FL) and was 28th in line, at 5:04am. Doors opened promptly at 8am and I was out by 8:12. The staff was awesome and handed out bottles of Smart Water, snacks (Pop-tarts, cookies, etc) AND bottles of 5-Hour Energy (no joke). Overall, a great experience!

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I think it's actually very short sighted and very arrogent to not try to make the phone work with different accents. My GS2 has worked fine with British, American and Australian (my) accent. Admittedly the voice control isn't as sofisticated, but it seems that my phone picks up voice just as well as siri. The biggest difference I can see is that Siri is far better integrated, but what use is that if it can't understand me if there's a little background noise... Anyways... Just my 2c because I would really like to see voice features that work regardless of background noise. Maybe Siri will improve with that. We'll see :)

There's a reason it's called "beta." Plus, there are so many accents it's impossible to get it completely right. Whole books have been written about differences just within one country.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
The new camera seems to be warmer - and handle some situations better (although the noise when looking at fluorescent bulbs is wacky). But when looking at that video in 1080p - I have to say that the new camera's footage was not always better than the 4.

BTW - I think the issue with fluorescent bulbs could be tweaked via software...

Dr Kevorkian94

macrumors 68020
Jun 9, 2009
SI, NY
I got in line at my apple store at 3:30 this morning and was 20th in line, there was a total of 40 people @ 8. i was in and out in 20 min and now a we speak i am configuring my iPhone 4s. I now must change my signature...

fenwah

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2011
The side by side video is interesting. The stabilizer makes a pretty big difference. I also noticed the colors on the 4S are much warmer and lifelike than that of the 4. Nice job to the person who did the video comparison.

BTW, my phone is on the FedEx truck right now. GIVE IT TO ME NOW! :D

WTF? The FedEx truck just drove down my street and didn't stop. Come back! Come back!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.