Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sgfernandez

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 4, 2011
Hey everyone. I just purchased a new late 2011 MacBook Pro (15 inch model, 2.2GHz i7, 4GB RAM) and almost splurged on buying an 8GB RAM module from OWC. However, it costs $300 dollars and I already have an extra compatible 4GB module I could put into the computer to make 6GB. I don't do any serious video editing or photo editing (maybe on occasion, if that). Apart from that, would 6GB be sufficient for multitasking and some game playing (the Sims 3 basically)? Or would there still be significant improvement with more RAM, given what I use the computer for? Thanks in advance!

Lee Adama

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2011
California
$300 for 8GB Ram? I just purchased some for $50 last night on Amazon!

What kind of ram are you pricing? That seems very high compared to the prices I see on ram.

sgfernandez

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 4, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Lee Adama said:
$300 for 8GB Ram? I just purchased some for $50 last night on Amazon!

What kind of ram are you pricing? That seems very high compared to the prices I see on ram.

Well since the MBP only has 2 RAM slots, and my idea was to upgrade to 12GB of RAM (I already have a 4GB stick), I woukd need an 8GB stick to make 12. A single stick with 8GB on it is a lot more expensive. I looked at other world computing as well as eBay and amazon

mape2k

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2011
Germany
The performance gain of 12gb vs. 8gb is so low compared to the added 250$ you would have to pay to reach that (if you don't max out the 8gb that is).

But a paired 4gb kit, than you have 8gb dual channel, which is even faster than 4gb+8gb.

sgfernandez

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 4, 2011
The performance gain of 12gb vs. 8gb is so low compared to the added 250$ you would have to pay to reach that (if you don't max out the 8gb that is).

But a paired 4gb kit, than you have 8gb dual channel, which is even faster than 4gb+8gb.

Thanks for the advice! It didn't occur to me that the 4+4 pair would be faster than 8+4! I just bought another 4gb stick from OWC (identical to the 4gb stick I already bought from OWC) to make 8GB thanks to your help. And it was around 32 dollars. WAY better than the $300 I almost wasted!

mape2k

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2011
Germany
Good to know, that would have been indeed wasted money. Unless you are a real power user, the 8gb will last a while and the price/benefit ratio is much better.

You can check the page-out value under the memory tab in the activity monitor. If there are high values (more than 1gb e.g.) then you are limited by RAM.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.