Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

new_fifth_avenue_cube_front.jpg

While Apple's Fifth Avenue retail store in Manhattan is not set to reopen until 10:00 AM this morning, crews have completed their work on the revamped glass cube, fully revealing the streamlined design for the first time.

new_fifth_avenue_cube_back.jpg

MacRumors reader Vincent sent along these photos of the new cube, which utilizes only 15 panes of glass rather than the 90 used in the original cube. The new cube is also "seamless", doing away with nearly all of the hardware that previously held the panes of glass together.

In addition to the new cube, Apple has also upgraded the plaza, refreshing or installing new water drains and pavers while removing the small bollards that had previously surrounded the cube.

Update: YouTube user patjem2 has posted a brief video showing the new cube and a growing crowd of customers just prior to the store's reopening.

A second video also shows the first customers entering the newly-reopened store through the updated glass cube.

Article Link: Apple's New Fifth Avenue Store Cube Fully Revealed [Update: Video]

propynyl

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Awsome

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA
oh wow it looks so.... oh wait, it looks exactly the same.

Except with far fewer pieces and less of a Rubik's Cube effect. It never was expected to be a vast change. The little things matter. The next update will likely not happen, however, until Kirk and the crew come back in time and Scotty teaches someone to manufacture transparent aluminum. Glass can only handle so much. :D

DanielSw

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2009
Clearwater, FL

No it doesn't--which was the whole point of the renovations: to replace many smaller panes with fewer larger ones--for heightened aesthetics, greater structural integrity, and enhanced viability. It's also simply that much more impressive an architectural feat, one which already HAS made history for Apple and NYC.

Surreal

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2004

Very similar if the details of hardware and implementation don't bother you, yes.

It does look different if you 'remember' how many panes there were and how much 'extra' hardware there was to support all of the extra panes.

Rot'nApple

macrumors 65816
Dec 27, 2006
I DID build that!
Nnnnice!

Now does :apple: hire a professional window washing crew or do they give some Apple employee a roll of paper towels and a bottle of Windex???... ;):D
/
/
/

rosalindavenue

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2003
Virginia, USA
Seems like it could be a last hurrah for Steve's over-the-top perfectionism and cube fetishism.

Note: I'm not saying that Apple won't still be perfectionist, but I'm guessing they won't drop 6 million willy-nilly to replace things just because they could possibly be more perfect.... or to fix things that didn't need fixing...

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
Now THAT'S how you make a cube! Totally worth the $6 million price tag.

That is not a window you want to accidentally hit with a baseball...

I actually wouldn't be surprised that cube could withstand a slow moving car crashing into it. Now, I just have to define 'slow'...

Tonewheel

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2007

Everyone is ragging on you, but I agree with you.

And how much did this little necessity cost? Just like America... Like football and baseball stadiums, for example. Tear it down and put up a new one, when the existing one was just fine.

lamerica80

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2008
Wow, a new glass cube slightly different than the previous glass cube.

Not exacly front page news if you ask me.

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
Everyone is ragging on you, but I agree with you.

And how much did this little necessity cost? Just like America... Like football and baseball stadiums, for example. Tear it down and put up a new one, when the existing one was just fine.

That attitude is the one which could have prevented for Apple to emerge in the first place as a company, fortunately it didn't.

slimbek

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I always though those bollards were there to stop any thought of ramming a car through the store. I'd hate to see one of these crack!
I wonder what they can handle?

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
People really can't see the difference between the pic at the top of this discussion and this:

apple-store-nyc4.jpg

Really?

Cancelled
Apr 14, 2008

I think a photo of the old one should suffice to show the difference. It's still a glass cube but check out the difference in hardware etc. Details matter.

2656828483_7e09b39c3d_z.jpg

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
From the renderings we saw a few months back, I know myself and others thought the old design of the cube looked better and that this one took away from the special look of it.

But now actually seeing it, it looks awesome.

JerZyT28

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2011
i think it looks nice and clean, but for how much they spent...serious waste of money....did they remodel the actual store too or just the cube?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.