Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Back in July, Adobe entered the Mac App Store for the first time with the release of Adobe Photoshop Elements 9 Editor, a slightly scaled-down version of the company's consumer image editing application. When the company released Photoshop Elements 10 in boxed form in mid-September, we asked Adobe about a Mac App Store release for the new version and were told that it was in the works but under a different timeline given that it is a separate application.

photoshop_elements_10_editor.jpg

Adobe Photoshop Elements 10 Editor
Adobe has now completed work on not only the Mac App Store version of Photoshop Elements 10 Editor but also Premiere Elements 10 Editor, which are now available in the Mac App Store for $79.99 each.

premiere_elements_10_editor.jpg

Adobe Premiere Elements 10 Editor
Like the earlier Photoshop Elements release for the Mac App Store, the new releases do not include the Elements Organizer functionality found in their non-Mac App Store counterparts, and do not support case-sensitive HFS+ (HFSX) volumes. Premiere Elements 10 Editor also does not support the SmartSound capabilities found in the full version.

Current users of Photoshop Elements 9 Editor from the Mac App Store should note that the new Version 10 is a separate application and thus not available as a free upgrade.

Article Link: Adobe Brings Photoshop Elements 10 and Premiere Elements 10 Editors to Mac App Store

cire

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2007
I come to a site called MacRumors to hear authoritative news and information about iPhones and other iOS devices along with Android and Window phones, not to hear rumors about Macs and Mac related software. Stop clogging up the front page!

Update: My first down vote! :D

parseckadet

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
Denver, CO
Why does it seem that half the third party software for OS X doesn't support case sensitive volumes? Has Adobe looked at a calendar lately? Mine says it's 2011, not 1981. This is inexcusable in the 21st century.

coder12

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2010
Hmm...

I think I'll stick with my copy of Elements from the early 2000s for windows and use pixelmator for everything else ;)

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Why does it seem that half the third party software for OS X doesn't support case sensitive volumes? Has Adobe looked at a calendar lately? Mine says it's 2011, not 1981. This is inexcusable in the 21st century.

Possibly because 95% of the desktops and laptops sold have case-preserving filesystems?

ombrenelcielo

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2011
Helsinki, Finland
Like the earlier Photoshop Elements release for the Mac App Store, the new releases do not include the Elements Organizer functionality found in their non-Mac App Store counterparts, and do not support case-sensitive HFS+ (HFSX) volumes.

Is there a specific reason why Adobe is putting this limitation on these two products?

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon

I don't know much about Mac OS history but do about UNIX (I've used since 1980). UNIX file systems were and still are case sensitive. I can only guess that Apple went with case insensitive volumes for backwards compatibility with earlier Mac OS versions? Of course Microsoft DOS and Windows has always been case insensitive.

I don't know that it matters what century we are in.

So unless you have gone out of your way to create a case sensitive volume on your Mac, I can only guess you are trying to access shared Linux volumes which are case sensitive?

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
teeth whitening filters? seriously? just brush your damn teeth and or whiten in the real world.

trip1ex

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2008
Price should be lower. There are routinely deals for these programs for much cheaper.

charlesdayton

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2011
I come to a site called MacRumors to hear authoritative news and information about iPhones and other iOS devices along with Android and Window phones, not to hear rumors about Macs and Mac related software. Stop clogging up the front page!

The word MAC on Macrumors should have given you a clue...

About the article:

The price is quite high for such basic editing. Gimp is better for this and is free.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
If I can upgrade a previous version of Elements for $79 and get the full package, there's no real point in getting a dumbed own restricted MAS version...

In fact, I'd rather pay the full price instead of going the MAS route.

throttlemeister

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2009
Netherlands

OT: what is a case-sensitive HFS volume under OSX anyway? My filesystems are HFS journaled (not case-sensitive) and they perfectly allow for filenames and directories with upper- and lowercase or mixed names. They show up as such in Finder, as well as on the UNIX shell.

So, how does a case-sensitive HFS+ filesystem differ from a standard HFS+ filesystem? And what is the big deal if a program doesn't support it?

Chobit

macrumors member
Jan 4, 2003
NY

I got a chuckle out of it, at least. People's sarcasm detectors must be broken… Unless you were serious, in which case mine is broken.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California

Update: My first down vote! :D

Ha... your sarcasm seems to have been missed by many.... :)

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.