Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Adobe's licensing is good for two systems for most products, and it certainly covers two systems for the Windows version of Elements.

My PSE license was a bundle with my Wacom Bamboo Fun and is limited to a single install. I'm sure it's not enforced, but why bother.

Not offering free upgrades? I'm pretty sure Pixelmator just did a free upgrade to version 2.0.

Discounted upgrades: yeah, Apple hasn't given a good way to do that on the Mac App Store yet. But Adobe definitely isn't being forced into charging for the update.

Yes, able to run on 5 computers (that you own and control, no matter who is running it at the moment) is much better than being able to run it on 2 (I wonder if it still requires only one of them to be running at any time, though... the MAS license is a little different regarding who uses the software than Adobe's license).

Yeah, I was referring only to the latter part. You know how it is activated (Apple ID) and how you can use it (5 Macs you control).

Didn't Pixelmator or someone like that do some sort of redemption code for "conversion" of licenses to MAS?

B

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
Bluer skies? Seriously? Just stop polluting the air in the real world. Right?

so I take it you would be making use of the teeth whitening feature? don't you feel that is...fraudulent? it's like a filter that gave women larger breasts in their pics. it's inherently untruthful. that's wrong to me.

jfletcha

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2011
Did no one else notice?

that the picture with the 3 jumping kids is the MEADOW IN FRONT OF THE FULL HOUSE HOUSE? ;)

I just created a macrumors account to post that, I feel very accomplished.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
Yes, able to run on 5 computers (that you own and control, no matter who is running it at the moment) is much better than being able to run it on 2 (I wonder if it still requires only one of them to be running at any time, though... the MAS license is a little different regarding who uses the software than Adobe's license).

There is no limit of 5 systems for the Mac App Store. It's any number of systems you control. This would mean any system for which you have an administrator account. The 5 system limit is in iTunes, which is why I don't stream music with iTunes (I've got more than five systems).

Adobe software doesn't seem to prevent you from running on two systems at once. At least I've never have been bitten by this (I have with some other programs that allow multiple installs but only one running instance.) What it does is prevent enabling the license from being enabled on more than two systems -- you can install on more than two systems but need to disable the license on one to enable on another.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
What [Adobe] does is prevent enabling the license from being enabled on more than two systems -- you can install on more than two systems but need to disable the license on one to enable on another.

There's a counter on the license as well - it can only be transferred a limited number of times.

jettredmont

macrumors 68030
Jul 25, 2002
so I take it you would be making use of the teeth whitening feature? don't you feel that is...fraudulent? it's like a filter that gave women larger breasts in their pics. it's inherently untruthful. that's wrong to me.

Welcome to the world of Photoshop.

You may enjoy http://photoshopdisasters.com

----------

There is no limit of 5 systems for the Mac App Store. It's any number of systems you control. This would mean any system for which you have an administrator account. The 5 system limit is in iTunes, which is why I don't stream music with iTunes (I've got more than five systems).

I stand corrected!

The actual license reads "(i) If you are an individual acting in your personal capacity, you may download and sync an App Store Product for personal, noncommercial use on any iOS Device you own or control." ... no mention of a limited number of devices. Good to know!

Adobe software doesn't seem to prevent you from running on two systems at once. At least I've never have been bitten by this (I have with some other programs that allow multiple installs but only one running instance.) What it does is prevent enabling the license from being enabled on more than two systems -- you can install on more than two systems but need to disable the license on one to enable on another.

Yeah, the "you can't use it on more than one at a time" restriction is not directly enforced, but is a part of the license agreement. Doesn't matter much for home users, but the strict letter of what Adobe allows is (1) install on two devices and (2) only ever use it by you and on one device at a time. Not family-friendly at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.