Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Does anyone here never want to retire like I?

I cannot see myself never just stopping my career. There would be nothing to do, and its seems people who work even after retirement age seem to live longer and be healthier because they have a reason to wake up in the morning. I'm not saying any of this is fact but speculation on my part.

I agree, this is very important (having something to do everyday). I'm sure you'll find something. For example, I know a 94 year old WW2 veteran who volunteers at the hospital. He's a trooper and it's very encouraging.

wvuwhat

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2007
All I know is that if/when I do retire I will be working as a golf course "starter" in a warmer climate until I die.

iJohnHenry

macrumors P6
Mar 22, 2008
On tenterhooks
No problem if you stash it under your mattress.:rolleyes:

If you're talking paper currency, you might be better with toilet paper.

A little lumpy, but easier on your ass than all those dyes.

Krugerrands might be a better choice. You can lay them flat, and acquire a goodly sum. ;)

bizzle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2008
Always good to come to MR for thoughtful and well considered advice.:rolleyes:

Just because my opinion is different than yours means its not thoughtful? I am sorry I didn't go on with a six paragraph tirade and got straight to the point.

Last edited:

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Just because my opinion is different than yours means its not thoughtful? I am sorry I didn't go on with a six paragraph tirade and got straight to the pint.

If suggesting that someone should kill them self if they run out of money was your pint (sic), then you did make it succinctly.

I was commenting on the quality of the advice.

bizzle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2008
If suggesting that someone should kill them self if they run out of money was your pint (sic), then you did make it succinctly.

I was commenting on the quality of the advice.
Thanks for pointing out the typo, I fixed it.

What exactly is wrong with the advice?

bizzle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2008
If that's a serious question, I couldn't possibly answer it. Not succinctly, not in five paragraphs. We just have completely different views of human life.

It's completely serious question. If you are old as dirt, lived your life the best you could and you realize you are now a burden on the rest of your family and society there shouldn't be any problem. I am not saying if you run out of cash because you lost your job that you should off yourself.

firestarter

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2002
Green and pleasant land
It's completely serious question. If you are old as dirt, lived your life the best you could and you realize you are now a burden on the rest of your family and society there shouldn't be any problem. I am not saying if you run out of cash because you lost your job that you should off yourself.

I think your proposition is pragmatic and realistic, bizzle. It's only been during the last couple of generations that we've been faced with such an ageing demographic, along with the weakening of old family ties which would have had children care for their old relatives.

That said - given that Shrink has presumably spent his entire professional career persuading people not to take that course of action, I can also understand his disquiet.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA

As I said - different views of human life.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I want to retire because I want to be able to pursue my hobbies, new hobbies, and learn new things.

I suppose I'd feel the same way about retirement if my life has been so bad that I had no hobbies and nothing to really do, except more work. Even if you have an interesting job that you see as bring similar to a hobby, you can still do that sort of thing without the job pressure, and also have more time to try new hobbies and interests.

If you're young and don't see the point of retiring, you probably live a very boring life.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I want to retire because I want to be able to pursue my hobbies, new hobbies, and learn new things.
Same here but I have two reasons why retirement won't come soon or at all. My two daughters. The financial responsibilities for providing for them strips any hope of retirement from my plans.

I don't post this as a bitter person, because they've added more joy in my life then I though possible, I'm just stating a fact

Iscariot

macrumors 68030
Aug 16, 2007
Toronteazy
If things go according to plan I'll be able to semi-retire by 50 while enjoying a very nice quality of life. I don't think I'd ever want to retire fully, and the people in my industry who are over 50 are in amazing health.

ender land

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2010
I didn't say people immediately died after retiring... to the contrary, i don't want to put money in a retirement fund, and run out of money, but still have living to do and not be able to afford it, AND be too damn old to do anything about it.

I want to be able to comfortably retire so I can do things like donate my money/time, potentially contribute significantly to any grandkids' college educations, etc.

I'm also not expecting to have to work too much past 59 (if I live that long! who knows right?).

senseless

macrumors 68000
Apr 23, 2008
Pennsylvania, USA

I suppose I'd feel the same way about retirement if my life has been so bad that I had no hobbies and nothing to really do, except more work. Even if you have an interesting job that you see as bring similar to a hobby, you can still do that sort of thing without the job pressure, and also have more time to try new hobbies and interests.

If you're young and don't see the point of retiring, you probably live a very boring life.

Not entirely true. Some people see value and stimulation from their work. It defines their usefulness and purpose. (Steve Jobs among them). For some, retirement is something to look forward to, but to others it can be a death sentence. Everyone is different.

ender land

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2010
Not entirely true. Some people see value and stimulation from their work. It defines their usefulness and purpose. (Steve Jobs among them). For some, retirement is something to look forward to, but to others it can be a death sentence. Everyone is different.

And for some it's a career change :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.