Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Just yesterday, Digitimes noted that Apple had reduced its fourth-quarter orders for iPad 2 display components in order to accommodate production of iPad 3 parts. Apple's strategy has apparently involved boosting production of iPad 2 parts during the third quarter and stockpiling them as it begins the transition to the iPad 3 this quarter.

white_ipad_2_oblique.jpg

Digitimes now expands upon that information in a new report claiming that Apple's iPad 3 display panel suppliers Samsung, LG, and Sharp will have delivered approximately three million units to Apple's manufacturing chain by the end of this month.
Samsung Electronics, LG Display and Sharp reportedly shipped a total of one million units of high-resolution flat panels for next-generation iPads to Apple in October and will ramp up shipments to two million units in November, according to industry sources.
The report notes that the touch module component that is comparable to the one found in the iPad 2 should begin shipping from TPK and Wintek imminently as Apple's iPad manufacturing partner Foxconn is apparently targeting a January 2012 start for assembly. That timeframe appears to be in line with rumors of an early 2012 launch for the iPad 3, potentially around March or April as with the past two generations.

The report also reiterates claims of display manufacturers having sampled 7.85-inch screens for Apple, but it is unclear how independent Digitimes' claim is from the earlier report.

Article Link: iPad 3 Display Shipments Nearing 3 Million Units with Assembly Set for January Start

The Mad Mule

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2010
I have a feeling it's going to be just as much of an incremental update to the iPad 2, as that was to the first model.

douglaswilliams

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2010
Oklahoma
How rumors get started...

iPad 3 with a resolution of: 2048 x 1536 = 3,145,728

PI ~= 3.141592 --> 3,141,592

3,145,728 - 3,141,592 = 4136

http://www.4136.com is a website owned by some company in Shanghai, China.

Therefore, I predict the display for the iPad 3 will be manufactured somewhere in Asia, most likely China.

On another note, it might be called the iPie and be round instead of rectangle!

Rumors, rumors...

jhende7

macrumors regular
May 19, 2010
Retina display = instant sale

if not, Kindle Fire.

So the iPad has to use cutting edge technology, that today doesn't exist, or your going to buy a cheap product that isn't even in the same product category?

Tis like saying If the next Lamborghini has hovercraft abilities = instant buy

If not, Ford fiesta.

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
iPad 3 with a resolution of: 2048 x 1536 = 3,145,728

PI ~= 3.141592 --> 3,141,592

3,145,728 - 3,141,592 = 4136

http://www.4136.com is a website owned by some company in Shanghai, China.

Therefore, I predict the display for the iPad 3 will be manufactured somewhere in Asia, most likely China.

On another note, it might be called the iPie and be round instead of rectangle!

Rumors, rumors...

Stop smoking crack

Jerome Morrow

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2011
United Kingdom
Retina display = instant sale

if not, Kindle Fire.

Most idiotic thing i have heard today. Basically sounds like you have to choose from awesome device like iPad 2 and crappy device like Kindle Fire and you are saying if Apple doesn't make A. B. C. and make uber awesome device you will settle for crappy device over already awersome device.

Idiotic.

On a related note:

Cash ready for iPad 3.

ThanksSteve

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2011
Looks great!

That said, do these annoucements of January 2012 assembly have to come right around the holidays when we're buying iPad 2 as gifts? :)

blue22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2010
what are the anticipated spec improvements in the iPad3?

I think the chances of retina display actually debuting in the iPad3 is 50/50.

And if not then what's going to be the major improvement outside of a thinner form factor?

jhende7

macrumors regular
May 19, 2010
Most idiotic thing i have heard today. Basically sounds like you have to choose from awesome device like iPad 2 and crappy device like Kindle Fire and you are saying if Apple doesn't make A. B. C. and make uber awesome device you will settle for crappy device over already awersome device.

Idiotic.

On a related note:

Cash ready for iPad 3.

If Charlize Theron got a boob job= instant bang

If not, Sarah Jessica Parker

mcarling

macrumors 65816
Oct 22, 2009
I don't know exactly which specs are improved from the iPad 2, but my iPad is an important enough tool in my life that I plan to buy an iPad 3. Whatever is improved, I'm confident it will be well worth the money.

That said, I would be most pleased with a 2048x1536 display. I expect to see a faster A6 CPU, 1GB of RAM, and higher resolution cameras. I expect the iPad 3 to support Siri. We'll see.

shawnce

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2004
I think the chances of retina display actually debuting in the iPad3 is 50/50.

And if not then what's going to be the major improvement outside of a thinner form factor?

My guess would be ... "A6" which could possibly be a quad core chip (when in iPad) with enhanced GPU, possibility of LTE support (iPad has the battery size to deal with it even with current chipsets), "retina" display (pixel count x4 of current likely), slight modification to form factor.

...a wild guess iPad 3 will be same size physically as iPad 2 (height/width) with a 4x pixel count display and we will see a new iPad that will be smaller in terms of width and height but have the same screen pixel dimensions/ratio as the existing iPad 2. This smaller iPad will keep the same chipset as the iPad 2, have a smaller battery and be priced lower.

PeterQVenkman

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2005

Idiotic.

On a related note:

Cash ready for iPad 3.

Oh, poor baby is upset that I won't spend my own money how I see fit and now feels the need to throw around insults to make himself feel better.

Better insult this guy while you're at it, because he, like me, loves the retina display:

For me: Retina (or at least higher res) display=instant sale,
If not, hang on to my iPad 1 and hold out for iPad 4.
My iPhone 4 screen has completely spoiled me.

So the iPad has to use cutting edge technology, that today doesn't exist, or your going to buy a cheap product that isn't even in the same product category?

Yup. I will settle for a cheaper device that suits my needs and compliments my amazon prime membership, but also splurge for the iPad 3 if I like it. Amazing, huh?

Tis like saying If the next Lamborghini has hovercraft abilities = instant buy

Well, no, because nobody is talking about cars with hovering abilities except you.

If Charlize Theron got a boob job= instant bang

If not, Sarah Jessica Parker

It all feels the same in the dark. ;)

Besides: you're the one comparing an iPad to having sex. If those things are similar to you, you might need more practice with both.

Last edited:

scott911

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2009
gi'mme a thumbs up!

sure - interest in screen quality is understandable... but let's remember this is largely a media consumption device,

and a good part of good media is audio.

apple stinks at audio.

why? i don't know.

they seemingly only have to throw a few more nickles (almost literally) at the speakers in order to improve quality ten fold. And if they located speakers where it made sense - front of device - quality would ramp up to 100 fold improvement.

please do apple.:rolleyes:
although less sexy, there's more to a device that the screen.

thumb up this post to let apple know this is important to you.

iRobby

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2011
Fort Myers, FL USA
I hope the retina display and better camera happens because I been waiting for this in the iPad 3 to become my first iPad. If it wasn't for the non retina display I would've gotten the iPad 2. Given the pricing I can't upgrade every year. So I was waiting.

Basically, my thinking went like this:

iPad 1: wasn't sure of I have a use for it didn't buy.

iPad 2: after seeing the success and functionality of iPad 1 I wanted iPad 2. But once I demoed it at the Fifth Avenue store I was disappointed after comparing it to iPhone 4 display and the camera. So I decided to hold out for possible retina display iPad 3.

Currently, I own my 2nd iPhone. A iPhone 4S upgraded from my iPhone 3GS and saving money for the iPad 3 and my first iMac the 27" high end.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.