Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
So will the ppi be the same as the iPhone 4 and 4s?

Not quite. This would be double the current iPad's PPI (264 > 132), which is still a bit below the iPhone 4/4s's (326). But realize that distance is also a factor with how much detail the eyes pick up, and generally people seem to hold their iPads further away.

smiddlehurst

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2007
Maybe it will be used mainly for text apps, with games tending to run pixel-doubled at 1024x768. That could be OK, I guess. Otherwise, I don’t see how the thing could have the graphics power (including RAM) to drive 4x the pixels without slowing down or killing battery life! I’d love to be wrong of course :) When/if a retina iPad display appears, it will be gorgeous.

Yes! But now imagine an iMac’s GPU, with all that heat and power consumption, crammed into an iPad. If it sounds too good to be true, I fear it is (for now).

Ah, but the iPad doesn't need a desktop class GPU because it doesn't run games with the graphical detail of modern games. That's something that tends to get overlooked in these discussions, the iPad 3 would basically need to run... what, PS2 level graphics at 2048 x 1536, not PS3.

Ultimately it's going to come down to what Apple can put into the A6 as to whether this is pracitcal or not. My guess (and that's all it is) is that the A6 is likely to be almost identical to the CPU / GPU combo in the Sony PS Vita - quad core A9 CPU and quad core 543 graphics, double that of the A5. Would doubling the GPU cores be enough to run four times the pixels at the same performance levels? God knows, but I think it's at least a possibility. Gut feel at this point is iPad 3 will perform much like the iPad 2 but with a Retina display. The iPad 4 will get the same sort of performance boost the A5 gave the iPad 2 as 2013 would be about right for Cortex A15 processors and the Rogue class of GPU's.

CptBucky

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

A retina display on the iPad is just out of the question at this point. It would mean that any advancements made in GPU and CPU power would be reset, and we'd end up with a great display but no guts to fully take advantage of it.

When I played games on the iPad 2, I really got excited for further improvements mainly the GPU, because the graphics are getting better with each incremental upgrade. If we have a retina display it'll probably have the benchmark power of iPad 1 until huge advancements are made in mobile graphics.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Consumers response: YAY!

Developers response: Oh crap!

---

I know I'll get downvoted for this, but its got to be said as its completely true...this WILL unquestionably be the start of fragmentation on iOS. People will still be using the iPad 1 and 2 for a good 3-5 years from now, meaning developers who do universal iOS design will have to create 4 sets of images.

You simply cant keep messing around with screen resolution changes.

knightlie

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2008
It still has a crippled and restricted operating system, so I strongly doubt that it will kick anybody's ass except for that of its own user.

As someone struggling to use a Windows 7 tablet, I laugh in your face.

nexsta

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2007
I hate the timeframe for new iPads, the beginning of a year is not a good time for new products, everyone that buys a iPad for christmas is ****ed because of that.

Last edited:

jaygenuine

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2011
Great!!!!!!!!!!

And Great!!!!!!!!!

I have put the money in the bank waiting for it!!!!!!!!!!

I love retina display!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Apple, I love you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NutsNGum

macrumors 68030
Jul 30, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
I know I'll get downvoted for this, but its got to be said as its completely true...this WILL unquestionably be the start of fragmentation on iOS. People will still be using the iPad 1 and 2 for a good 3-5 years from now, meaning developers who do universal iOS design will have to create 4 sets of images.

Not really, any developer worth their salt would have been paying attention to the likelihood of this occurring at some point.

Its a case of designing your attributes for use at the higher pixel count and then halving that. Not exactly rocket science. For example, PNGs can be resized with specific parameters in a batch process in Photoshop in seconds without any image quality degradation.

I also can't imagine people will be able to use games/software made 3-5 years from now on the iPad 1 and 2, due to software and hardware incompatibility.

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
Maybe it will be used mainly for text apps, with games tending to run pixel-doubled at 1024x768. That could be OK, I guess. Otherwise, I don’t see how the thing could have the graphics power (including RAM) to drive 4x the pixels without slowing down or killing battery life! I’d love to be wrong of course :)

My 90 MHz, 4 MB video RAM PowerMac 7200 from 1995 supported 1024x768 pixels @ 24-Bit. So it is probably not a GPU problem.

fmaxwell

Nov 27, 2008
I believe that Apple intended to have the higher resolution in the iPad 2. That's why the iPad two has three to five times faster graphics at 1024x768 than the iPad 1 had. If you double the resolution in both directions, you quadruple the pixels, requiring four times the graphic processing power.

kapa1686

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2011
ITunes has to be upgraded to 1080p now. 720 wouldn't look right on this. Also hopefully better cameras for the better screen

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Consumers response: YAY!

Developers response: Oh crap!

---

You simply cant keep messing around with screen resolution changes.

If the rumors are true (a big if), quadrupling the resolution is actually easier since it makes backward compatibility possible at the OS level. That was the stated reason for the "retina display's" resolution in the iPhone 4.

My only qualm about this rumor is that there are other rumors that Samsung and LG are having difficulty with volume at this high a resolution, and that Apple might go to 1600x1200 (1.5x in each axis), which would be more difficult for developers since existing applications won't scale as easily.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
My only qualm about this rumor is that there are other rumors that Samsung and LG are having difficulty with volume at this high a resolution, and that Apple might go to 1600x1200 (1.5x in each axis), which would be more difficult for developers since existing applications won't scale as easily.

There are really two questions: How much does it cost, and how many displays can Apple buy? If they can buy 100,000 a quarter, then it will not be used. If they can buy enough for all iPads they sell, then Apple will do what they can to keep the price down. But if it is in between, like Apple can get 5 million hi-res displays and sell 12 million iPads, then we will get two iPads with different displays at different prices.

franzmueller

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2007
Spain
Excuse my ignorance ... but for normal users like me , a retina display type of screen on the iPad should be better for ...?

mrklaw

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2008
Ah, but the iPad doesn't need a desktop class GPU because it doesn't run games with the graphical detail of modern games. That's something that tends to get overlooked in these discussions, the iPad 3 would basically need to run... what, PS2 level graphics at 2048 x 1536, not PS3.

Ultimately it's going to come down to what Apple can put into the A6 as to whether this is pracitcal or not. My guess (and that's all it is) is that the A6 is likely to be almost identical to the CPU / GPU combo in the Sony PS Vita - quad core A9 CPU and quad core 543 graphics, double that of the A5. Would doubling the GPU cores be enough to run four times the pixels at the same performance levels? God knows, but I think it's at least a possibility. Gut feel at this point is iPad 3 will perform much like the iPad 2 but with a Retina display. The iPad 4 will get the same sort of performance boost the A5 gave the iPad 2 as 2013 would be about right for Cortex A15 processors and the Rogue class of GPU's.

Apple needs to decide their priorities. IMO the rapid improvement in mobile GPU/CPU should be delivering us great graphics improvements for games etc - look at Infinity Blade for example. Instead Apple seem to be sinking that technological evolution into just supporting the higher resolution with the potential result being that graphics capability remains fairly static.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I probably can't go into details but a few months ago I was talking with a team of industrial designers... actually I guess you can just use common sense here;

How is a current gen graphics chip and battery going to power a 2048x1536 display?

I can imagine games running in a quarter of that with only the OS and non-demanding apps running at native res. Let's not be silly here. That's a huge resolution that currently only the best desktop cards can run games at. So I'm very interested to see what comes from this. Could they pull it off? As it stands right now they'd need 4xiPad 2 graphics chips, but they also have to offer improved performance (frame rate) over the last iPad 2. Plus the power to run them.

----------

But it does. The overwhelmingly vast majority of iOS games won't need that power. But what about UE3 engine games? They're almost on par with modern consoles (just without the intense overhead from larger scale games).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.