Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Tether.com has somehow gotten App Store approval for their iPhone companion application "iTether". The $14.99 App Store app allows users to share their iPhone's internet connection with their Mac or PC computer over USB.
Tether is an application that allows your Mac and PC to take advantage of your smartphone's data plan, providing you access to the Internet on your laptop anywhere there is cellular coverage from your smartphone.

Tether is easy to install, easy to use, works practically anywhere, and is very cost-effective.

To download the PC software visit:
http://tether.com/i/Tether-iPhone.exe

To download the Mac software visit:
http://tether.com/i/Tether-iPhone.dmg
Tether offers companion applications for the Mac and PC. Mac version shown here:

tether.png

Running both apps on your iPhone and your Mac allows your Mac to use your iPhone's internet connection over a USB cable (no Wi-Fi or Bluetooth support). Apple has traditionally not allowed such applications to become available on the App Store due to agreements with carriers.

Back in 2008, Apple briefly approved another tethering app called Netshare but quickly pulled it from the App Store. Instead, users have been expected to pay additional fees to U.S. carriers such as AT&T and Verizon who offer tethering as an add-on service for $20/month. The approval of iTether may have been inadvertent by Apple again and could be pulled at any time. It is presently available in the App Store for $14.99. As in the case of Netshare, if Apple does pull the app from the App Store, it should continue to work for those who bought it.

Tether offers a similar app for both BlackBerry and Android platforms and has been reviewed in the NYTimes and Entrepreneur.com.

We should note that excessive unauthorized tethering has previously resulted in warnings from AT&T to users about their usage. In many of these examples, however, the unauthorized use was dramatic and on unlimited plans. Still, it is good to be aware of that possibility. [App Store Link]

[via 9to5Mac]

Update: Tether's website is presently down due to the traffic, which means you can't download the Mac/PC apps and it also appears the iOS app verifies with Tether.com on each run, so it won't work while the main website is down.

Update 2: Tether claims "We were very clear with Apple what our app did. They asked us a bunch of questions and then approved us." So it may not be getting pulled.

Article Link: iTether App Offers Internet Tethering On Your iPhone for One Time Fee

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I can verify that this app does work. Don't hesitate people! This is Netshare all over again. MOVE MOVE MOVE!

I'm posting this using my iPhone's data connection. Only issue so far is that if I close the app on my iPhone and reopen it, I have to restart the app on the Mac side. Otherwise it works like a dream!

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
I can verify that this app does work. Don't hesitate people! This is Netshare all over again. MOVE MOVE MOVE!

Confirmed here too. Works for me on Mac/iPhone.

Also, Tether seems a real company. previous products for other platforms.

arn

carbonfly

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2007
I picked this up. I used to use the Handylight app to tether but that was a pain to remember the color combo and set up a SOCK Proxy. This is much easier to use. Thanks for the heads up.

kirk26

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2003
West Virginia
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A405)

Won't AT&T be able to detect you tethering like they did with jailbroken iPhones?

ghost187

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
IT WORKS IT WORKS IT WORKS. This is the only reason I've always jailbroken my iPhone, and than it always made my phone laggy like an android and I reformatted. Now with this app, I will NEVER jailbreak again.

GET IT NOW!!! Don't be cheap, that $15 is nothing compared what you'd pay. Even if you won't use it, once you have it, you will start using it more than you know, I literally live off of tethering.

cacophony555

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2010
Does this allow you to share the internet connection with other wifi devices such as ipods, other iphones, etc ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.