Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
That odd because I just checked and its #2

Should be number 1 though.

It's #1 book for 2011, not meaning that at certain specific date it may go to a different position for a determined amount of time.
A new book launch could place it at a lower level temporarily.

It makes sense to assume that books are qualified considering price, sales volume both at launch as over a period of time, total sales, profit, etc.

acidfast7

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2008
EU

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    245.6 KB · Views: 111

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.

I guess that confirms that reading preferences and habits may vary according to geographical location and culture.

Now, compare the population that accesses that foreign Amazon store vs the population that has access to the U.S. Amazon store.

Overall, adding up all sales all over the world, it could still be the #1 selling book of 2011.

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
I guess that confirms that reading preferences and habits may vary according to geographical location and culture.

Now, compare the population that accesses that foreign Amazon store vs the population that has access to the U.S. Amazon store.

Overall, adding up all sales all over the world, it could still be the #1 selling book of 2011.

This seems to be very important to you.
Why?

If it is No. 1 it is… if not then something else is.
Life goes on. :)

acidfast7

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2008
EU

amazon.com vs. amazon.de (roughly 4:1 or so). i would say that all of the European amazon sites combined probably get more hits than the US site (assuming roughly 650M ppl in Europe.)

cambox

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2010
omnipresent
Who?

Who is this Steve Guy? I mean the guy who is the Voice of Siri was called up and told to stop talking to the press, as Apple isn't about one person. So there you have it, shut up talking about one person, Apple is about many people, you heard that from the corporate marketing people so it has to be right.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
This seems to be very important to you.
Why?

If it is No. 1 it is… if not then something else is.
Life goes on. :)

I just had to create some argument, there hasn't been any interesting rumors lately...

Also, it bothers me that people can't understand what they read.
... Aaaagh, forget about it! :mad:

and life goes on. :D

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
This is a discussion forum....you know, where you...discuss things?

Of course it is. But thanks for your input in any case.

I was asking why it was so important for this book to be No. 1… that's all. ;)

Reason I ask is I am always curious about people's support for things — sport teams, multi-billionaire CEOs etc…
Why is it so important that the team wins… or this book is No. 1.
Does it not being the "winner" diminish your life at all?

I just had to create some argument, there hasn't been any interesting rumors lately...
:D
As valid an answer as any other.

HellDiverUK

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2009
Belfast, UK
Yeah, I agree.

I walked away from the book underwhelmed, but couldn't really put my finger on why. John Siracusa did a heck of a job putting it into words. Anyone who thought it was lacking needs to listen to Siracusa's podcast "Hypercritical", episodes 42 and 43 (I think). He just utterly obliterates Isaacson (and rightfully so IMO).

Also agree. I got it on release day. I'm only half way through it, and no particular desire to finish it.

I much preferred Michael Malone's "Infinite Loop".

voonyx

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2011
Of course it is. But thanks for your input in any case.

I was asking why it was so important for this book to be No. 1… that's all. ;)

Reason I ask is I am always curious about people's support for things —*sport teams, multi-billionnaire CEOs etc…
Why is it so important that the team wins… or this book is No. 1.
Does it not being the "winner" diminish your life at all?

Human nature? I think you're over-analyzing something grossly unimportant. If you support something, you want it to be No. 1. Are you saying that there is nothing that you admire that you would want to succeed?

There's really no need to turn this into a philosophical/psychological argument about human behavior

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
Everyone have a beer at exactly 11:00am EST, in pro of forum peace. :D

The year hasn't ended yet, so anything could happen. Maybe there's a Bill Gates biography published before the end of the year, and who knows what could happen then.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
yeah, Amazon doesn't sell any books abroad, at all.

and it's capisce, FWIW, just so you don't appear uncultured.

You really think so? I just used the most common way to spell it, so EVERYONE would understand it too:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Capish

Capisce, Capisci, Capish are all acceptable. Ooh I guess you didn't know that! :p

----------

Yep.
That is what happens when you price fix the price to $15 for an e-book.

LOL... but true. eBook more fun to read but hard copy looks nice on a bookshelf.

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
I guess I am in the minority that thought the book wasn't really all that. It was just average.

linux2mac

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2009
"City of Lakes", MN
MacBookPro13";13968661 said:
Bought it on my iPhone with iBooks, out of my respect and appreciation for all that Steve Job's has done for us.

Absolutely.

Plus, I always have my iPhone with me which makes it more convenient to kill downtime like waiting for someone that is running late or long holiday lines. I can't say I would be carrying the physical book or iPad with me everywhere I go.

Abyssgh0st

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2009
Colorado
I'm pretty positive that it is obviously the US #1, and the aggregate worldwide #1; not sure what is confusing people so much about that, because even though it is #2-5 at other large places worldwide, the US is obviously Amazon's biggest market- and that stupid Heaven book isn't the #1's in the other countries.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I agree.

For me it was definitely a below average book about an above average individual.

I enjoyed reading the book. But that doesn't mean I think it was a GOOD book. I think somewhere along the journey, Isaacson lost his way and even though he clearly included negativity in his book, it was clear at times that he just took Steve's word as gospel without balancing it with other viewpoints on some subjects.

That being said - even if the book was complete crap - it would have been the #1 seller because of the subject matter.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.