Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

ihome.jpg
Japanese blog Mac Otakara (via AppleInsider) reports that Apple held a MFI Conference conference in Shenzhen, China this past week. "MFI" is Apple's Made for iPod / iPhone / iPad certification program for accessory manufacturers.

During the talk, Apple reportedly revealed that they were going to provide a new certification chip for their MFI program to encourage more iOS-compatible accessories. The new chip will allow access to iOS devices over AirPlay, Bluetooth and Wi-Fi. While Macotakara does not specify how this differs from the current program, the current program seems to be limited to physical dock accessories and specific AirPlay vendors.

In fact, TouchArcade recently touched on this fact in a recent article on iOS gaming accessories. TouchArcade noted that the reason why all the current gaming accessories such as the ThinkGeek iCade relies on Bluetooth keyboard emulation is due to the restrictions Apple has placed over bluetooth connections. It seems that this restriction will be loosened with the new certification chip, though details are sparse at the moment. TouchArcade suggests this could open the way to low-latency analog control sticks for iOS gaming.

Apple was also promoting the use of the new version of Low Energy Bluetooth 4.0 which was added in the iPhone 4S, noting that it could be used to support new applications in health care and gaming markets. We profiled the possibilities for Bluetooth Low Energy back in July.

Finally, Apple reportedly revealed that they would be adding support for AirPlay over Bluetooth, though it's not entirely clear what advantages this will offer.

Update: We've received some additional clarification on Apple's MFI program and the conference presentation, with the source noting that the new chip does not bring with it any additional capabilities. The chip, which has already been available for some time, is simply an authorization chip to verify compliance with the MFI program. The new chip is said to be faster and smaller and require less power than its predecessor, but does not confer any other functionality for devices.

Article Link: Apple Planning to Add Bluetooth Support for AirPlay, and Expand iOS Accessory Capabilities

TC03

macrumors 65816
Aug 17, 2008
I don't understand this article for one bit. How does this differ from the current situation?

When I'm at home and my iPhone is paired with my bluetoooth speaker, I can select my AirPlay-enabled laptop just as easily as my bluetooth paired speaker.

AirPlay is the name for streaming music over WiFi, AirPlay for bluetooth is just streaming using the AD2P-protocol, no difference.

This article makes no sense at all.

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
I don't understand this article for one bit. How does this differ from the current situation?

When I'm at home and my iPhone is paired with my bluetoooth speaker, I can select my AirPlay-enabled laptop just as easily as my bluetooth paired speaker.

AirPlay is the name for streaming music over WiFi, AirPlay for bluetooth is just streaming using the AD2P-protocol, no difference.

That was my first thought aas well. When connected to an audio device, like a speaker/stereo/headset/vehicle with bluetooth A2DP it shows up under the AirPlay icon.

Maybe though they'll allow the actual airplay protocol to work specifically over a bluetooth connection?

One thing that would be awesome would be the addition of bluetooth to the iPod nano. Wearing that as a watch and having the ability to stream audio wirelessly or get notifications from an iPhone would be beautiful.

AAPLDroid

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2011
The low energy protocol introduced with the latest iteration of Bluetooth doesn't support A2DP and other audio transmissions it would seem, which is what most of us use Bluetooth for. Hopefully the next version will solve that and save our batteries some extra mA's.

chochazel

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2010
Leeds

Airplay is far higher quality than AD2P, which is very lossy.

At the moment it requires a wifi network. Any devices which connect over airplay must first connect to wifi. This makes it difficult to travel with this setup. On the road, there will be no wifi, and when you get there, you'll have to connect two different devices.

Also, if you have more than one Wifi point, you can often lose connection while the devices switch.

This may also mean a much lower power consumption for airplay. It's possible that you could have portable Airplay speakers and Airplay headphones with far higher quality and reliability than A2DP.

I'm just speculating though.

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
Been using, and enjoying my Jambox for several months now without a hitch. The sound quality is excellent with airplay, and I expect even more awesome accessories now with Apples restrictions being loosened a bit.

pmz

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2009
NJ
Except Bluetooth support is already built in to AirPlay...it's just not universally available yet to all Bluetooth devices.

Next time you get in your Uconnect enabled car and your iPhone connects over Bluetooth, take a lot at how the music is routed from your phone to the stereo....via the AirPlay controls.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
This has been built in for a while. I'm not sure what they're talking about here. Apple doesn't call it AirPlay when you connect via bluetooth or even the physical dock connection, but those are controlled via the AirPlay icon.

I'm just hoping Sonos and Jawbone support AirPlay directly (via Wi fi). Hopefully, we'll see more AirPlay devices at CES because the current crop are either really expensive or have poor reviews (iHome, Philips, Zepplin, etc).

And the current way Sonos supports it (via an AirPort Express) is pretty ridiculous.

Vantage Point

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2010
New Jersey
The BT range for streaming wireless music from my MBP is limited (about 10') compared to the range on my iPhone 3GS, about 30'. I'd rather stream from my MBP because it is plugged in instead of rapidly draining my iphone battery.

So I wonder it BlueTooth 4 has a greater range AND if it will be standard in the new Macs, or if they are planning something even better in 2012 ;)

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
The BT range for streaming wireless music from my MBP is limited (about 10') compared to the range on my iPhone 3GS, about 30'. I'd rather stream from my MBP because it is plugged in instead of rapidly draining my iphone battery.

So I wonder it BlueTooth 4 has a greater range AND if it will be standard in the new Macs, or if they are planning something even better in 2012 ;)
BT 4 low profile has less of a range.

Hardtimes

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2011
It would be nice to see some airplay enabled speakers that everyday people can afford.

My airport extremes and powered speaker devices are messy and use two plugs sockets.

Affordable all in one solutions are what I am after.
Maybe even a steam resistant bathroom device.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
I imagine one of the things that will come from these relaxed restrictions is active styluses. With pressure sensitive tips and/or distinct draw and erase ends.

lfc

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2010
Australia
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

bushido said:
A 2003 nokia isn't a file??:confused:

But really, yes it can...

No it cant. Try sending a pic or song over bluetooth with an iPhone. Good luck with that

"There's an app for that."
Maybe you should do some research first before you try (read: fail) to troll...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.