Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following closely after a previously-rumored launch date of December 8th, Apple has now turned on new iTunes Store music and movie content in 16 Latin American countries. The countries seeing the new iTunes Store content include: Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, and Venezuela.

In addition, Brazil appears to have gained the notable distinction of being the first country outside of the United States to offer iTunes Match. We received one report over the weekend from a user in the Netherlands who was able to activate iTunes Match, but that functionality appears to have been a very short-lived glitch.

brazil_itunes_match.jpg

iTunes Match subscription page in Brazilian iTunes Store
MacMagazine.com.br has a running commentary [Google translation] documenting the situation as the various components of iTunes music and movie purchases and iTunes Match are going live in Brazil.

As had been rumored for the Brazilian iTunes Store, prices are currently in U.S. dollars, requiring users to fund their accounts with international credit cards. Pricing in local currencies for the Latin American countries is said to be coming at some point in the future, perhaps within six months.

Update: Apple has published a press release announcing the new additions.
Launching with a catalog of over 20 million songs, the iTunes Store in Brazil features local artists including Ivete Sangalo, Marisa Monte and the digital debut of Roberto Carlos' catalog, available to purchase and download along with a wide range of international artists including the Beatles, Rihanna, Coldplay and thousands more. With most songs priced at 99 cents and most albums at $9.99, the iTunes Store in Brazil is the best way for iPad, iPhone, iPod, Mac and PC users to legally discover, purchase and download music online.

Article Link: iTunes Music and Movies Debut in 16 Latin American Countries, Brazil Gets iTunes Match

X5-452

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2006
Calgary, Canada
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3GS: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Interesting choice. I wonder what factors influenced the decision to allow Brazil access to the iTunes Match program over other countries.

tjanssen1990

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2009
Look north

What, no love for Canada?

I am really looking forward to iTunes Match if/when it ever arrives.

camiloken

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2009
ColOmbia

Sorry, but it is Colombia with an O after the l. Most US people get this wrong.

psalazarc

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2010
Chile
Woah, I'm astonished... :eek:
I just can't believe the iTunes Music Store launched in Chile. I know it may not look like a big deal to many, but it is for me. Finally, for Jobs sake. It seems like Apple is finally taking Latin America seriously. Or beginning to. :apple:

:p

kiwiboi87

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2011
New Zealand
well its great that the music store is expnading

i dont understand why apple picked Brazil as the next launch pad for iTunes Match,
they must have a good reason

hopefully it means the world wide rollout could be faster

waloshin

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3GS: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Interesting choice. I wonder what factors influenced the decision to allow Brazil access to the iTunes Match program over other countries.

Because Brazil is more developed compared to most country; Brazil is a semi-periphery country.

World_trade_map.PNG

Bumflake

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2010
The Netherlands
It was orderable in the Netherlands last weekend (and I did), however I received a mail from Apple this morning:

Dear iTunes Customer,

Our records indicate that you purchased iTunes Match, which is unavailable for your country. We have refunded the purchase, plus any applicable tax, back to the original payment source. You should see this credit applied to your payment method within 5 business days.

Regards,

iTunes Customer Experience
http://www.apple.com/support/itunes/ww/

The service never worked for me though....

Starship77

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2006
WOW! iTunes Music Store was long overdue, but iTunes Match was totally unexpected! I'm brazilian and I'm also wondering why Brazil got it first... Super cool!

But I'll not be able to use it anyway, since I don't have a brazilian account and I don't feel like creating one right now, just because there are no games in the app store... (Because of the age restriction system in Brazil being different from the U.S.) I hope they fix that as well.

As for the other countries getting iTunes match, it's probably happening really soon. They must be using Brazil as a test bed and with everything, hopefully, going right, it's gonna roll out to all the others that have music stores.

Go Brazil! :D

SeaFox

macrumors 68030
Jul 22, 2003
Somewhere Else
I don't understand why it can't launch in every country at once. It is just software stuff...

Yes, that's a point people have been trying to make for decades now. DVD region encoding and game console staggered launches being two glaring examples. It's called "the RIAA/MPAA doesn't know how to admit they're Dinosaurs and still think a location-limited business model is sustainable in a world where you can get FedEx to bring you something from anywhere in the world in two days."

Edit: Oyeah: Welcome Brazilians!

pmz

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2009
NJ
Awesome for them.

I can't help but think of the Family Guy skit: "Come back here and listen to our American 1980s records that we got here yesterday!"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.