Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

kinectimals_tiger.jpg

Microsoft today took a major step onto the iOS gaming platform with the release of Kinectimals. The game, which is aimed at children and involves interacting with virtual animals, debuted last year as an Xbox 360 game taking advantage of the Kinect motion-sensing control system.
This irresistible mobile experience gives you the chance to use your phone to visit the island of Lemuria and play with, care for and fall in love with your very own cub. Bring your pet with you wherever you go! If you've already experienced Kinectimals on Kinect for Xbox 360, your phone becomes the key to unlocking five new cubs on your console.
The release marks an interesting move for Microsoft, which has an established gaming brand with the Xbox/Kinect line and has been thought to be looking to use that leverage to promote its own Windows Phone platform. But Microsoft has been making a significant push into iOS gaming tie-ins over the past week, beginning with the My Xbox LIVE profile management app and Halo Waypoint companion app for the popular gaming franchise.

Beyond those new offerings, today's addition of Kinectimals signals an even more substantial investment in iOS by Microsoft, which has now proven willing to branch out from its own platforms to support games running directly on iOS devices.

Kinectimals is a universal iOS application for iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch, and is priced at $2.99 [App Store].

Article Link: Microsoft Tackles iOS Gaming with 'Kinectimals'

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
First it's Kinectimals, then it's Windows and Office. Won't someone think of the children? :D

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Even if they sell 10 million copies of this at $3 each this is pocket change for Microsoft. Clearly, I think their goal is not to make money. I think maybe they want to train their staff ad this just covers the cost. They did this for some reason and it was not to make money.

ProVideo

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2011
Looking into that tiger's eyes one cannot ignore the deep hatred and resentment for it's owner that is present. It is more than happy to do tricks and obey the commands because it knows that one day the tables will turn in the struggle of control and life span.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Microsoft is a software company. They've spent the last 30 years confusing themselves into thinking they're a 'platform company.'

That's nice and all, but it's not the only way. I sure hope this is a sign to come. I'd like to see Microsoft succeed and I think it will happen like this...by becoming the dominant software provider on OTHER platforms. They've been allergic to that in the past because they wanted to protect Windows, but those days are over. I'd love to see them branch out more.

laserfox

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2008
new york
Trojan horse :D

Get iOS users to start liking Microsoft again

Launch Windows 8 with tablet form factors and xbox live integrated
Free Office Suite
Just like Windows Phone 7
Critically acclaimed

Wean iOS users off apple and into Microsoft ecosystem

kasei

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
It is possible Microsoft decided if they can't beat iOS to make a many apps fro it as they can and possibly win some customers back. I think it is a smart move and the development of the Kinect and releasing the SDK for it is even smarter.

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
It could look like a strategic move, but then again why would you switch from iOS to Windows Phone if they offer the same apps on both. Yes, they could make you "like" Microsoft again but that's not enough to switch your whole ecosystem if there is no true reason of switching.

It would make more sense to keep the Windows Phone games exclusive and come up while lots of mobile versions of Xbox games, like Halo, Gears of War, Forza, Fable etc. that could compensate by their quality for the small number of games/apps on Windows Phone compared to iOS and Android. That could make a gamer choose a Windows Phone, especially with Xbox Live integration.

commander.data

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2006
It's likely an acknowledgement that many XBox gamers are also iOS users. Microsoft could either ignore them or embrace them. XBox tie-ins are a way to do the latter.

prowlmedia

Suspended
Jan 26, 2010
London
Even if they sell 10 million copies of this at $3 each this is pocket change for Microsoft. Clearly, I think their goal is not to make money. I think maybe they want to train their staff ad this just covers the cost. They did this for some reason and it was not to make money.

I think any company would still be happy with a fairly simple port making 30mill. Bet this cost them about 100K max to make -

Wean iOS users off apple and into Microsoft ecosystem

With this and the xbox companion app on iOS, this is more of a driver to XBox thatn

darkfiber

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
Columbus, OH USA
They also released "My XBOX Live" recently which while giving Xbox users a way to view their Xbox Live Profile, gives you a taste of their "Metro" interface, which I have to admit is kinda nice looking at least.

ikelleigh

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2008
Microsoft will probably make more money from the release of this game on iOS than they ever did from the Zune.

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
i hope they keep making games for ios

Me too. But I'm also hoping (probably fruitlessly) that maybe this will get them making games for Mac again (or at least a game, MS Flight Sim. It's the one reason I went to a PC for a while but now I'm back. Of course the mac I have is totally not suited for that kind of game so I'd probably fire up my PC anyways. But be nice to have my Mac do everything).

----------

Microsoft is a software company. They've spent the last 30 years confusing themselves into thinking they're a 'platform company.'

That's nice and all, but it's not the only way. I sure hope this is a sign to come. I'd like to see Microsoft succeed and I think it will happen like this...by becoming the dominant software provider on OTHER platforms. They've been allergic to that in the past because they wanted to protect Windows, but those days are over. I'd love to see them branch out more.

I wish I could up vote this more. I do like some of their software (not all, but Excel and Flight sim for sure and I begrudgingly use Word though honestly, I'm really starting to think I could probably get away with some other text editor that isn't so damn quirky and really the only thing I need compatibiity for is resumes which I could just use PDF format which will definitely keep the formatting amongst different computers). I certainly wouldn't object to buying MS software, I just prefer Apple's OS over their's.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.