Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Dec 13, 2011, 12:41 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Microsoft Tackles iOS Gaming with 'Kinectimals'

Microsoft today took a major step onto the iOS gaming platform with the release of Kinectimals. The game, which is aimed at children and involves interacting with virtual animals, debuted last year as an Xbox 360 game taking advantage of the Kinect motion-sensing control system.
Quote:
This irresistible mobile experience gives you the chance to use your phone to visit the island of Lemuria and play with, care for and fall in love with your very own cub. Bring your pet with you wherever you go! If you've already experienced Kinectimals on Kinect for Xbox 360, your phone becomes the key to unlocking five new cubs on your console.
The release marks an interesting move for Microsoft, which has an established gaming brand with the Xbox/Kinect line and has been thought to be looking to use that leverage to promote its own Windows Phone platform. But Microsoft has been making a significant push into iOS gaming tie-ins over the past week, beginning with the My Xbox LIVE profile management app and Halo Waypoint companion app for the popular gaming franchise.

Beyond those new offerings, today's addition of Kinectimals signals an even more substantial investment in iOS by Microsoft, which has now proven willing to branch out from its own platforms to support games running directly on iOS devices.

Kinectimals is a universal iOS application for iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch, and is priced at $2.99 [App Store].

Article Link: Microsoft Tackles iOS Gaming with 'Kinectimals'
MacRumors is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2011, 12:43 PM   #2
ct2k7
macrumors 603

Let's see of this game is worth it. I'm going to download it right away.
ct2k7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2011, 12:47 PM   #3
AAPLaday

I have this game. My mates daughter loves playing on it. Its great casual fun
AAPLaday is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2011, 12:48 PM   #4
TheOrioles33
macrumors 6502

Good to see MS getting in on the action! Thanks for the XBOX app. Bring on Office!
TheOrioles33 is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2011, 12:50 PM   #5
Daveoc64
macrumors 601

This is actually a dream come true for me.

This is one of my favourite Kinect games.
Windows 8.1 | iCloud, Dropbox, Spotify Premium
Daveoc64 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2011, 12:50 PM   #6
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

First it's Kinectimals, then it's Windows and Office. Won't someone think of the children?
Old Dec 13, 2011, 12:52 PM   #7
Eidorian
macrumors Penryn

Send a message via AIM to Eidorian
HNNNGGGG My heart. The Sesame Street Kinect game was so cute too.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 12:54 PM   #8
travis64
macrumors 6502

i hope they keep making games for ios
travis64 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2011, 12:56 PM   #9
ChrisA
macrumors G4

Even if they sell 10 million copies of this at $3 each this is pocket change for Microsoft. Clearly, I think their goal is not to make money. I think maybe they want to train their staff ad this just covers the cost. They did this for some reason and it was not to make money.
ChrisA is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2011, 12:57 PM   #10
newrocket
macrumors newbie

Come on microsoft.... we want Office !!
newrocket is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2011, 12:58 PM   #11
ProVideo
macrumors 6502

Looking into that tiger's eyes one cannot ignore the deep hatred and resentment for it's owner that is present. It is more than happy to do tricks and obey the commands because it knows that one day the tables will turn in the struggle of control and life span.
ProVideo is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2011, 12:59 PM   #12
Small White Car
macrumors G3

Microsoft is a software company. They've spent the last 30 years confusing themselves into thinking they're a 'platform company.'

That's nice and all, but it's not the only way. I sure hope this is a sign to come. I'd like to see Microsoft succeed and I think it will happen like this...by becoming the dominant software provider on OTHER platforms. They've been allergic to that in the past because they wanted to protect Windows, but those days are over. I'd love to see them branch out more.
Small White Car is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2011, 01:01 PM   #13
laserfox
macrumors 6502

Send a message via Yahoo to laserfox
Trojan horse

Get iOS users to start liking Microsoft again

Launch Windows 8 with tablet form factors and xbox live integrated
Free Office Suite
Just like Windows Phone 7
Critically acclaimed

Wean iOS users off apple and into Microsoft ecosystem
Old Dec 13, 2011, 01:03 PM   #14
nepalisherpa
macrumors 65816

I hope they release Age of Empires series also!
Old Dec 13, 2011, 01:08 PM   #15
kasei
macrumors 6502a

It is possible Microsoft decided if they can't beat iOS to make a many apps fro it as they can and possibly win some customers back. I think it is a smart move and the development of the Kinect and releasing the SDK for it is even smarter.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 01:09 PM   #16
pgiguere1
macrumors 68000

It could look like a strategic move, but then again why would you switch from iOS to Windows Phone if they offer the same apps on both. Yes, they could make you "like" Microsoft again but that's not enough to switch your whole ecosystem if there is no true reason of switching.

It would make more sense to keep the Windows Phone games exclusive and come up while lots of mobile versions of Xbox games, like Halo, Gears of War, Forza, Fable etc. that could compensate by their quality for the small number of games/apps on Windows Phone compared to iOS and Android. That could make a gamer choose a Windows Phone, especially with Xbox Live integration.
pgiguere1 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2011, 01:10 PM   #17
commander.data
macrumors 6502a

It's likely an acknowledgement that many XBox gamers are also iOS users. Microsoft could either ignore them or embrace them. XBox tie-ins are a way to do the latter.
commander.data is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2011, 01:21 PM   #18
prowlmedia
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA View Post
Even if they sell 10 million copies of this at $3 each this is pocket change for Microsoft. Clearly, I think their goal is not to make money. I think maybe they want to train their staff ad this just covers the cost. They did this for some reason and it was not to make money.
I think any company would still be happy with a fairly simple port making 30mill. Bet this cost them about 100K max to make -

Quote:
Originally Posted by laserfox View Post
Wean iOS users off apple and into Microsoft ecosystem
With this and the xbox companion app on iOS, this is more of a driver to XBox thatn
prowlmedia is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2011, 01:26 PM   #19
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepalisherpa View Post
I hope they release Age of Empires series also!
That would be so sweet to have it on the iPad .... used to be one of my favorite games and I wasted endless nights playing it. My son recently discovered my old DVD with Age of Empires III and now he is addicted to it ... Would be cool to play it against each other on the iPads.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 01:27 PM   #20
laserfox
macrumors 6502

Send a message via Yahoo to laserfox
Microsoft also released Skydrive for iOS and wp7 today!

http://windowsteamblog.com/windows_live/b/windowslive/

Old Dec 13, 2011, 01:40 PM   #21
dissemin8or
macrumors member

Cinnamon NO!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEUULIs_UWE
dissemin8or is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2011, 01:43 PM   #22
darkfiber
macrumors 6502a

They also released "My XBOX Live" recently which while giving Xbox users a way to view their Xbox Live Profile, gives you a taste of their "Metro" interface, which I have to admit is kinda nice looking at least.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 01:44 PM   #23
ikelleigh
macrumors newbie

Microsoft will probably make more money from the release of this game on iOS than they ever did from the Zune.
ikelleigh is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2011, 01:47 PM   #24
tigress666
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis64 View Post
i hope they keep making games for ios
Me too. But I'm also hoping (probably fruitlessly) that maybe this will get them making games for Mac again (or at least a game, MS Flight Sim. It's the one reason I went to a PC for a while but now I'm back. Of course the mac I have is totally not suited for that kind of game so I'd probably fire up my PC anyways. But be nice to have my Mac do everything).

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Small White Car View Post
Microsoft is a software company. They've spent the last 30 years confusing themselves into thinking they're a 'platform company.'

That's nice and all, but it's not the only way. I sure hope this is a sign to come. I'd like to see Microsoft succeed and I think it will happen like this...by becoming the dominant software provider on OTHER platforms. They've been allergic to that in the past because they wanted to protect Windows, but those days are over. I'd love to see them branch out more.
I wish I could up vote this more. I do like some of their software (not all, but Excel and Flight sim for sure and I begrudgingly use Word though honestly, I'm really starting to think I could probably get away with some other text editor that isn't so damn quirky and really the only thing I need compatibiity for is resumes which I could just use PDF format which will definitely keep the formatting amongst different computers). I certainly wouldn't object to buying MS software, I just prefer Apple's OS over their's.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 01:48 PM   #25
Wayfarer
macrumors 6502a

It's too cutesy for my taste.

Wayfarer is offline   -3 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion