Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Dec 13, 2011, 02:48 PM   #26
divinox
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Small White Car View Post
Microsoft is a software company. They've spent the last 30 years confusing themselves into thinking they're a 'platform company.'

That's nice and all, but it's not the only way. I sure hope this is a sign to come. I'd like to see Microsoft succeed and I think it will happen like this...by becoming the dominant software provider on OTHER platforms. They've been allergic to that in the past because they wanted to protect Windows, but those days are over. I'd love to see them branch out more.
Days of Windows are over? You high?
divinox is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2011, 02:49 PM   #27
*LTD*
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by laserfox View Post
Trojan horse

Get iOS users to start liking Microsoft again

Launch Windows 8 with tablet form factors and xbox live integrated
Free Office Suite
Just like Windows Phone 7
Critically acclaimed

Wean iOS users off apple and into Microsoft ecosystem
Yeah good luck with that.
*LTD* is offline   -3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2011, 02:49 PM   #28
divinox
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgiguere1 View Post
It could look like a strategic move, but then again why would you switch from iOS to Windows Phone if they offer the same apps on both. Yes, they could make you "like" Microsoft again but that's not enough to switch your whole ecosystem if there is no true reason of switching.

It would make more sense to keep the Windows Phone games exclusive and come up while lots of mobile versions of Xbox games, like Halo, Gears of War, Forza, Fable etc. that could compensate by their quality for the small number of games/apps on Windows Phone compared to iOS and Android. That could make a gamer choose a Windows Phone, especially with Xbox Live integration.
They'll make you realize the neatness of the Xbox integration, then make provide an even better experience once you switch over to the MSFT-side of the river. Simple as that.
divinox is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2011, 02:55 PM   #29
rmwebs
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA View Post
Even if they sell 10 million copies of this at $3 each this is pocket change for Microsoft. Clearly, I think their goal is not to make money. I think maybe they want to train their staff ad this just covers the cost. They did this for some reason and it was not to make money.
It's about a $25 Mil profit. Whilst its nowhere near the levels on anything else they have, it'll be a good start. Even if it boosts yearly profits by 0.1% it'll make the shareholders happy.
rmwebs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2011, 02:55 PM   #30
Xenomorph
macrumors 6502a

This is wonderful. The description for Kinectimals says it unlocks content on the 360. Microsoft is rewarding people for buying their products (regardless of platform) - instead of punishing them for not buying only their products.

There are over a dozen Microsoft programs for iOS now. I'm looking forward to more.
Xenomorph is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2011, 02:56 PM   #31
rmwebs
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by *LTD* View Post
Yeah good luck with that.
You my friend need to learn how to see a joke. The guy was clearly not being serious.
rmwebs is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2011, 02:59 PM   #32
PhoneI
macrumors 65816

now give me Office on my iPad and onenote on my MacBook and I am set.
PhoneI is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2011, 03:03 PM   #33
The Economist
macrumors regular

I'm impressed. It seems like Microsoft is finally behaving as a real software company and it is focusing its efforts on good things. However, I wonder if releasing games on iOS will hurt their Windows Phone project. One would expect that games by Microsoft would be a WP exclusive.
The Economist is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2011, 03:21 PM   #34
powers74
macrumors 68000

Who locked Ballmer in a closet?
Old Dec 13, 2011, 03:28 PM   #35
Drunken Master
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProVideo View Post
Looking into that tiger's eyes one cannot ignore the deep hatred and resentment for it's owner that is present. It is more than happy to do tricks and obey the commands because it knows that one day the tables will turn in the struggle of control and life span.
*snaps fingers*

That's deep, daddy-o, deep.
Drunken Master is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2011, 03:37 PM   #36
Small White Car
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by divinox View Post
Days of Windows are over? You high?
I should clarify. The Days of "Windows and Windows-only software being enough to keep Microsoft huge" are ending.

Disagree? Where do you think Microsoft will be in 10 years if they don't start making popular iOS, Mac, and Android software?

Do you think they'll grow larger if they don't do those things?

I don't mean Windows is over. I mean Microsoft as a 'Windows-only' company are over.
Small White Car is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2011, 03:39 PM   #37
solaris7
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissemin8or View Post
Yay! Someone watches RoosterTeeth!
solaris7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2011, 03:42 PM   #38
GreyStreet
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by commander.data View Post
It's likely an acknowledgement that many XBox gamers are also iOS users. Microsoft could either ignore them or embrace them. XBox tie-ins are a way to do the latter.
This

It's similar to Apple putting iTunes on Windows. Helps sell hardware/media. MS isn't dumb enough to think that all iOS users will switch to WP7/8. But if you make it easier for iOS users to integrate w/ Xbox, MS sells more hardware/media.
GreyStreet is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2011, 04:03 PM   #39
SandynJosh
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Small White Car View Post
Microsoft is a software company. They've spent the last 30 years confusing themselves into thinking they're a 'platform company.'

That's nice and all, but it's not the only way. I sure hope this is a sign to come. I'd like to see Microsoft succeed and I think it will happen like this...by becoming the dominant software provider on OTHER platforms. They've been allergic to that in the past because they wanted to protect Windows, but those days are over. I'd love to see them branch out more.
Microsoft has been somewhat rudderless since the dancing monkey's been in charge. However, by supporting iOS Microsoft is doing two things:
1. Making their gaming platform stronger. They see iOS as a stable platform with a strong future, and therefore worth supporting. That vs. Android which is highly fractured and hard to support in a quality way. Keep in mind that a bad experience on a phone as a controller reflects badly on the XBox as well.
2. Making iOS-driven devices stronger. Stronger iOS devices mean weaker Android market, therefore a less-crowded opening for the MS mobile/metro OS whenever that straggles to market...

You may remember that initially Microsoft envisioned the PC being the center of the home entertainment stage, by releasing the XBox they signaled defeat of the PC-cetric strategy. Supporting iOS is further hardening the XBox-cetric strategy.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoneI View Post
now give me Office on my iPad and onenote on my MacBook and I am set.
OneNote on the MacBook is already on the market. Office in the iOS devices is on the horizon.

All things come to those who stand and wait.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayfarer View Post
It's too cutesy for my taste.

I agree, but I'd buy it in an instant if the tiger cub were replaced with a dancing monkey in a sweaty blue shirt!
Old Dec 13, 2011, 05:29 PM   #40
pubwvj
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProVideo View Post
Looking into that tiger's eyes one cannot ignore the deep hatred and resentment for it's owner that is present. It is more than happy to do tricks and obey the commands because it knows that one day the tables will turn in the struggle of control and life span.
And when you look at a pig it looks back at you thinking, "Food!"
pubwvj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2011, 05:36 PM   #41
McKs
macrumors member

well

Maybe I'm too much of a cynic, but we've seen this many times in the past from MS. We start out with feature parity, and a few versions later, all non-MS platform versions are lagging behind, with MS citing technical shortcomings (read proprietary MS code disallowed to be ported to other platforms)
Windows Phone will get the full version, of course.
McKs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2011, 05:40 PM   #42
Wayfarer
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandynJosh View Post
I agree, but I'd buy it in an instant if the tiger cub were replaced with a dancing monkey in a sweaty blue shirt!
Now, now, that'd be quite the spectacle. Definitely a buy for me. Chairs will be flying.
Wayfarer is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2011, 05:56 PM   #43
notabadname
macrumors 65816

Already ooohhs and awwwws from my kids. I call it a well-spent cup of Starbucks.

Now enjoy your profits from many millions of iOS users Microsoft and go for bigger game - iOS-Office
Old Dec 13, 2011, 05:58 PM   #44
mavfan11
macrumors member

surprised

first a cute Tiger, perhaps followed by an adorable Leopard, then a Snow Leopard that needs your care, perhaps followed by a Lion? I'd half expected a rant about how Microsoft was only doing this to start a chain of games that were condescending to the Mac OS animals!
mavfan11 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2011, 06:49 PM   #45
ezekielrage_99
macrumors 68040

The kinnect is both the best and worst thing that has happened to gaming in the last decade.

Still can't wait to see Microsoft release a Snow Leopard and Lion version
Old Dec 13, 2011, 07:10 PM   #46
AppleDroid
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezekielrage_99 View Post
The kinnect is both the best and worst thing that has happened to gaming in the last decade.

Still can't wait to see Microsoft release a Snow Leopard and Lion version
I am holding off on my Kinect purchase until they release a Kama Sutra game.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 07:54 PM   #47
kiljoy616
macrumors 68000

Can you hunt the little buggers and simulate skinning them.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 08:38 PM   #48
haruhiko
macrumors 68030

How good is this!

With Microsoft being a software company, Apple being a hardware company, and Google being an internet company, and all of them having their own OSes, the tech world is much more integrated (not fragmented) than before.

Believe it or not, I think Microsoft will team up with Apple to fight against Android, with the release of Microsoft Office for iOS.

It's not hard to believe now.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 08:42 PM   #49
AidenShaw
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleDroid View Post
That would be Kinky-nect!
Old Dec 13, 2011, 09:10 PM   #50
Renzatic
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleDroid View Post
I was in the beta. It was pretty alright, up until I got to the Inverted Lotus position. I ended up with three cracked ribs and a slipped disc, and my girlfriend bruised her cervix somehow.

But hey, it's a beta. What else do you expect?
Renzatic is online now   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion