Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Forbes publishes a lengthy guest post from advertising executive Rob Siltanen, one of the primary contributors to the development of Apple's famous "Think Different" advertising campaign that helped turn the company around following Steve Jobs' return. In the piece, Siltanen details the process of pitching the campaign to Jobs and his work on the "Here's to the Crazy Ones" script.

Siltanen was inspired to write the post following the publication of Walter Isaacson's authorized biography of Steve Jobs, which repeats the oft-cited claim that Jobs himself was responsible for much of the "Here's to the Crazy Ones" text and ideas.
Steve was highly involved with the advertising and every facet of Apple's business. But he was far from the mastermind behind the renowned launch spot. In fact, he was blatantly harsh on the commercial that would eventually play a pivotal role in helping Apple achieve one of the greatest corporate turnarounds in business history.
Siltanen goes on to describe how he and other representatives of the high-profile TBWA/Chiat/Day advertising firm were surprised that Jobs required them to pitch to win the contract with the then-struggling Apple. In dreaming up concepts to pitch to Jobs, the one that stood out was the "Think Different" tagline paired with photos and videos of famous creative thinkers. Jobs liked the campaign but initially worried that it would appear too egotistical. Within seconds, however, Jobs changed course and brought the firm on board to carry out the idea.

think_different.jpg

Siltanen used Robin Williams' speeches from the movie Dead Poets Society as inspiration for what became "Here's to the Crazy Ones". But when it was presented to Jobs in what turned out to eventually be nearly its final form, Jobs initially hated it.
We played the spot once, and when it finished, Jobs said, "It sucks! I hate it! It's advertising agency ****! I thought you were going to write something like 'Dead Poets Society!' This is crap!"

Clow said something like, "Well, I take it you don't want to see it again." And Steve continued to go on a rant about how we should get the writers from "Dead Poets Society" or some "real writers" to write something.
Jobs eventually changed his mind again, and the "Think Different" campaign quickly marked a turning point for the company even as it was still trying to develop new products to execute the dramatic turnaround.

Article Link: Behind the Scenes of Apple's 'Think Different' Campaign

MBP13

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2011
I'm so glad "Think Different" was used. It's my absolute favorite ad of all time.

:apple:

Russell L

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2006
San Francisco
I remember at the time that the grammar police were all over this, saying it should be "think differently", not realizing that Steve meant "think of something different" as opposed to "think in a different manner".

KindredMAC

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2003
I love reading about these experiences.
Even the great Steve Jobs wasn't right the first time every time.

I love Lee Clow. His equanimity is just awesome!

jukeboxjoe

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2011
recognizer, not inventor

Steve Jobs' genius was to recognize, not invent, things that would take off. Jobs often hated things the first time before changing his mind. But let's give credit where credit is due. He recognized the right things, sometimes right away, like with the idea of a GUI after seeing it at PARC, and sometimes only after being fought back on, like the ad campaign, and countless other things that he eventually liked. But once he did, he would champion the cause, even at the expense of others, taking credit for himself. Gotta love/hate Steve Jobs. He thought he knew what everyone wanted... and most of the time, he was right.

Last edited:

Laird Knox

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010
the commercial that would eventually play a pivotal role in helping Apple achieve one of the greatest corporate turnarounds in business history.

Sounds like he has the ego to match Jobs as well. ;)

zoozx

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2002
ca
Steve gets and takes credit for A LOT of stuff he had little to do with or initially had to be talked into accepting.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Steve gets and takes credit for A LOT of stuff he had little to do with or initially had to be talked into accepting.

the "iMac" is another example where he hated the name and had to be convinced

Thunderbird

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2005
"Too egotistical" for Steve Jobs? Lol

Nothing is too egotistical for Steve Jobs. No wonder he changed his mind so fast.

Walter Issacson has stated the written copy for that ad was mostly Jobs' idea. If it wasn't, then one can only assume Jobs was taking credit for writing that ad. Talk about egotistical.

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008
Another thing to think about with this... no pun intended... is that IBM's motto for many years has been "Think", and Apple in that timeframe was battling with the IBM PC (and compatibles). Just my opinion, but I believe that part of the reason for "Think Different" was to play off IBM's "Think" motto. Jobs was a brilliant guy.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Steve Jobs said the best ideas win at Apple, this is another great example.

Haven't you read his biography? He never really liked it and kicked up a load of fuss about it until he saw that it worked.

EDIT: Didn't see someone has posted pretty much the same thing.

Last edited:

sigamy

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2003
NJ USA
So is this another thing Issacson failed to properly research? Did Issacson credit Jobs with writing "The Crazy Ones"?

mugwump

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2004
Folks, check out the famous WWDC keynote of 1997, months before the entire Think Different campaign was created.

Some dude stands up and wonders why Apple isn't advertising the fact that Apple is different -- it goes back and forth but the guy is basically suggesting the Think Different approach and Steve Jobs says the opposite: It's time for Apple to stop thinking different, to stop advertising any difference, and to advertise how apple is the same.

During that, he also suggests greatly expanding the mac clone market, which would've possibly ruined the company.

Yeah, he was sometimes very off, but when he finally got it, he was a like none other.

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
It's crap, this is crap, you are crap is just the way Steve managed. It ended up in most cases making whatever he was talking about 20-50% better. It didn't always mean he actually hated it.

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
Haven't you read his biography? He never really liked it and kicked up a load of fuss about it until he saw that it worked.

EDIT: Didn't see someone has posted pretty much the same thing.

Looks to me like he was able to not care what he thought about something yesterday, at first etc.

Sometimes presentations and meetings put on pressure and once one has time to think through it sinks in what is good or not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.