Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hmmm

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2003
UK, NL, USA
Live in the Netherlands using a UK account

Live in the Netherlands, but using a UK account

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2011-12-16 at 08.45.28.png
    Screen Shot 2011-12-16 at 08.45.28.png
    51.3 KB · Views: 76

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Sorry to put a dampener on the party, but is it REALLY worth £21.99? I have a huge music library, and from what I have read about Match, it will not match songs that I have ripped from my on CD's and DVD's?

This means the majority of my library would be skipped anyway. So what are the REAL benefits of match? I want to be convinced, but I just don't see the value:confused:

You read wrong. That's the entire purpose of iTunes Match. It's to bring users who ripped their collection of CDs into the iTunes Store fold. When iTunes launched, it didn't have a store. Its motto was a Rip. Mix. Burn. People were still buying (and iTunes was encouraging you to buy) CDs which they'd then rip to iTunes, create playlists and burn new discs. Then iPod came along... and the iTunes store. Most iTunes users have a collection of mostly ripped music from CDs (and other sources) and a small portion of iTunes store purchases. iTunes match levels it all out.

Of course, there's the unspoken benefit of allowing casual pirates to legalize their collection which gives the music industry access to money for pirated songs that they'd never see money from and encourages these customers to stay legit from now on, given that their library is now legal.

So go ahead and get iTunes Match. If your music is mostly mainstream stuff that you'll find on the iTunes store, the majority will get matched.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
In the GTA of Ontario, Canada, and getting many 5002 iTunes errors when attempting to subscribe to iTunes Match. Relaunched iTunes, signed in and signed back in, still not doing it. Anyone?

At least you're getting THAT far. Launched iTunes soon as I read the news 30mins ago. Sofware update on MBA Ulti registered my $27 fee for iTunes Match and gone to the left sidebar and selected Match or Store and BOTH seem to want me to repurchase it again - which its already confirmed my transaction has gone through for.

ID_Field_Blank

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2008
London, UK
Is there anyway of seeing how many of my songs will be matched before I subscribe? I want to use the service to get higher quality files, but at'll only work if the system can match them. Anyway to find out how many that'll be before Paying?

sanchez20

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2010
Is there anyway of seeing how many of my songs will be matched before I subscribe? I want to use the service to get higher quality files, but at'll only work if the system can match them. Anyway to find out how many that'll be before Paying?

i dont think its possible but you should try cause itunes store is freaken huge and im pretty sure at least 2/3 of your music are in there.

redAPPLE

macrumors 68030
May 7, 2002
2 Much Infinite Loops
question

is there a way to find out, how much songs iTunes match would convert before committing to pay the yearly fee?

i guess, if i cancel the subscription within one year, i would get to keep the higher quality music, right?

edit: d'oh. the questions sound to be really popular. would just need the answer (if anybody knows).

Last edited:

BillyBobBongo

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2007
On The Interweb Thingy!
iTunes Match - Other iTunes Account

Bit of an odd question but if I've got songs from another iTunes account, that I'm authorised to use, will they be available through iTunes Match as well or will I need to rip them to CD and add them again to make them match?

SegaMark

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2009
Warrington, UK
Well this is woeful, only able to match 1/3 of my library which has been well tagged?

Most of the stuff it can't Match is on the iTunes store, like Oasis!

Anyone else struggling to get a decent match?

matc

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2008
anybody else having login issues? Can´t login with any of my 3 accounts... :(

couzo

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2010
Anyone else having login issues this morning. I have not even subscribed to match and cannot login to my iTunes account or my iCloud account?

Zuphael

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2011
Anyone else having login issues this morning. I have not even subscribed to match and cannot login to my iTunes account or my iCloud account?

Yeah, Apple Login Servers must be down, can't log in on iTunes nor the Webpages of apple.com xD

bunts

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2009
UK
It's all going through so far for me in the UK. It's matched 80% of my library, not sure if that's a good percentage or not?

But I can't turn it on on my iP4s? When I slide the iTunes Match to on it says I'm not currently subscribed... but I am. It's still uploading songs, does anyone know if this is why? It's matched, just still uploading.

----------

In fact i'm not able to log into my iTunes account at all right now. Not on the app store on my mac or iPhone, or via icloud.com

Strange.

samh004

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2004
Australia
What, $34 is too much to get all 24,500 of your illegally downloaded songs made legal and available to you anywhere you are in the world with the click of a button.
Dont say you brought it all either, we know you didnt.

I’ll admit there are some 'free' albums in there… though they’re albums that I haven’t seen in physical stores in Australia or in my iTunes store so I hardly see a lack of distribution to me as a reason not to 'shop' elsewhere.

That being said, the vast majority of my tracks are from my parents CD collection, which I think you’d probably agree would be vast for most people who lived in the 90’s.

It’s still going, and a lot of songs seem to be matching fine. Though it wants to upload 8900 songs :eek:

How about you try not assuming everyone stole all their music… :rolleyes:

bunts

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2009
UK
Because I couldn't access my iTunes account after signing up and starting iTunes Match I stopped the process while it was uploading songs to see if it would allow me to access my account when stopped.

Didn't work. And if you do stop the process you have to start from the beginning again, it goes through the looking at your library, matching steps again and doesn't pick up from where it stopped. Which is good to know but not that important...

Funny thing was though, it matched more songs this time. Only 6 more, but still it's a different result than last time.

tarasis

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Here, there and everywhere
Live too for me in Germany, for the princely sum of €24,99 ($32.50 which is a little over the US price + 20% tax).

Now I have to work out if I want to use it (half my 20000 tracks are from limited edition film scores which most certainly don't match anything on iTunes, a reason why Genius isn't often that helpful too me) and whether I'd be better off using the US or DE stores for it.

The machine I use is typically logged into the US store, mostly for rentals and occasional purchase of movies/music, while the MBP is used for the German store (apps, books, buying music).

I heard, but have never confirmed, that the US store requires you to have a US CC on file to signup for Match, rather than using Giftcard balance. True?

taffowl

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2009
Looks like the TV Shows functionality on Apple TV was turned on again with iTunes Match for us Brits :)

photo-3.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.