Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Things I want sorted:

1. Mission Control to show all open windows, or give the option to.
  2. Hiding applications in Finder to put them to the end of the application switcher (CMD+TAB) like it did in all previous OS X versions.
  3. Mail to not open and bring itself to the front whenever a mailbox refuses a password (usually due to server issues). A simple icon change with an "!" or something would be far less interruptive.
  4. Finder to use 'base 2' again (this was a big request during Snow Leopard too..), as iTunes is still base 2 among other apps, but Finder is base 10.
  5. Full screen apps on more than on external screen.
  6. Bring back 4-finger horizontal swipes to switch apps when not in full screen mode.
  7. Ability to disable "reopen windows when logging back in" - pain having to uncheck it, especially if I need a restart due to an update but have a few documents open that I don't want re-opening (e.g. if they are big things, like Photoshop files).
  8. Finder's font size adjustments to reflect the list name font size when in list view or Cover Flow.
  9. iCal to show the small month calendar on the bottom left hand side like in previous OS X versions, as well as the ability to select the calendar type you are inserting - right now it always uses your default calendar and I have to submit it then edit it to change it to whatever calendar I want. Previously, you had a list on the left hand side and you selected the calendar you wanted to add.
  10. 3 finger swipe up for Mission Control is fine, but I'd like a 3 finger swipe down to show desktop, rather than the awkward 4 finger spread gesture (impossible to do if you are dragging a file - hot corners will do for now).

The main annoyance for me is the hiding applications one - I don't know why Apple has Lion to hide applications but keep them first in the application switcher (CMD+TAB), it really slows down my workflow. I used to say, start a render in something, CMD+H it to hide it, then be able to CMD+TAB around other open applications that aren't hidden. Even more annoying when I want to hide 3-4 applications, yet they still appear first in the application switcher list.

Reborn

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2011
I just wish Apple would go back to the 10.7.1 icon sizes for Launchpad: particularly on my MBA they are way too big.

Can't say I agree with the negative comments about Launchpad: I think it's awesome, especially with a trackpad.

Lion is basically the way I wanted OSX to evolve.

Lion is not so broken after all huh :) I guess depends on who you ask a horse, a beetle, or a bald eagle.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Maybe this will fix some WiFi issues. I'm not getting my hopes up though. Windows 7 will remain on my MBA until I can use WiFi on Lion for more than 10 minutes.

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2009
iDeaded myself
Ignore the haters and trolls.

OS X Lion is the best, most revolutionary, magical, powerful operating system ever released. Launchpad really is amazing breakthrough technology so awesome and simple to use. Mission control is gorgeous and really wonderful. Let's not forget the App Store bringing unbelievably great software to you with a single click. And it just works. Even the backgrounds in Lion are beautiful collections of fine art. Wonderful, stunning, breathtaking artistry.

Danielo

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2005
The Old Continent
[...] Launchpad really is amazing breakthrough technology so awesome and simple to use. [...]

Excuse me, I use OS X since Jaguar and I do like Lion, but what is so "breakthrough" about Launchpad? Application launchers are around for a long time.

This is that totally subjective kind of argumentation, that encourages critics again and again to bash Apple-users.

Cancelled
Aug 18, 2005
I hope this will fix the issue with FileVault and external 3TB drives (or any drive with sector size other than 512 bytes). Any word on whether that's fixed?

laudern

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011
Excuse me, I use OS X since Jaguar and I do like Lion, but what is so "breakthrough" about Launchpad? Application launchers are around for a long time.

This is that totally subjective kind of argumentation, that encourages critics again and again to bash Apple-users.

Are you simple?? He was being sarcastic/humorous...I can't believe the intelligence of some people lol

Cancelled
Aug 18, 2005
3. the most serious flaw in my opinion is the lack of multi-monitor, full screen support. this is something very simple to fix, so there is no excuse for apple not helping out all the professionals that actually use more than 1 monitor, and like to use full screen (not as big of a deal if you use 27"+ monitors).

Yeah this... Totally. It's such a disappointment to have two expensive screens and to have to delegate one of them exclusively to displaying a dark grey linen texture when in full screen mode. Seriously, what were they thinking?

ScottishDuck

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2010
Argyll, Scotland
Crazy that people are defending the resource usage of Lion.

I don't know if it's a hangover of the switch to clang but heat, battery life and performance have suffered somewhere.

I like full screen apps, Mission Control is alright. All in all Lion is a bit messy, doesn't seem like a finished product. They just tacked some features on to justify a major release.

And I don't know what Reborn is smoking that's making him so delusional but I'd like some.

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
OSX Lion was the perfect Mac OSX until it was actually released.

1324468209756.jpg

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I didn't even get to install 11D33 before being notified about 11D36. I wonder if there some bugs or issues with the 11D33

skillwill

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2008
Unless I'm missing something, I can't understand why people so passionately want Launchpad removed or disabled. I'm not arguing whether it's good or not - but surely just don't use it? You could very easily completely forget it's there and launch files and apps in exactly the same way as you did in SL, it doesn't need to be disabled or gotten rid of.

shotts56

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2008
Scotland
Ignore the haters and trolls.

OS X Lion is the best, most revolutionary, magical, powerful operating system ever released. Launchpad really is amazing breakthrough technology so awesome and simple to use. Mission control is gorgeous and really wonderful. Let's not forget the App Store bringing unbelievably great software to you with a single click. And it just works. Even the backgrounds in Lion are beautiful collections of fine art. Wonderful, stunning, breathtaking artistry.

Hi Steve, good to have you back !!!!!

Varth Dader

macrumors member
Dec 21, 2011
Captain Happy

Well 10.7 works great for me. It doesnt need fixing! Lion is great and I have no issues with it and Apple doesn't need to change anything.

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
That's nice. I'm happy you're happy.

When are people like you going to figure out that the rest of us are simply waiting for Apple to add an OPTION to change or disable some of the stupidities in Lion?

I'm so sick and tired of this attitude that Lion isn't broken and that Apple shouldn't change anything because it works for you.

News flash, you're not the only person on the planet.

Those of us who dislike Lion don't want to FORCE something upon you. We're not trying to MAKE YOU accept what we believe to be the "correct" way of doing things. We simply want Apple to add an option, so that for those things that don't jive well with us- we can opt to disable or revert the behaviour back to something that does jive well with us. That's all we want. A choice. A simple choice. We had them before but now we don't.

So, frankly, the next person to say "Well 10.7 works great for me! It doesn't need fixing!" needs to be lynched for not understanding this point. Lion is not broken if it does what you want out of the box. If it doesn't, you're **** out of luck. And that is the problem with Lion- it offers absolutely NO choice to change anything (and terminal hacks are terminal hacks- Cocoa isn't exactly hard to code up a checkbox for).

So for those of you who say that Lion is great and you have no issues with it and that Apple doesn't need to change anything- just keep this in mind- whenever you DO need to change something, are you really comfortable confiding in an operating system that offers you NO choices for even the most basic of things?

-SC

when you develop new software or operating systems you cant include every option under the sun, it will bog it down and make it slow.

you also cant make everyone happy, they made some changes in Lion but what really would be there motivation to have options to make it so you disable all those changes?

Mission Control might suck i dont the right or wrong answer to that but I do know they advertised it as a main new feature in Lion why would they want users to disable it?

ikir

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2007
That's nice. I'm happy you're happy.

When are people like you going to figure out that the rest of us are simply waiting for Apple to add an OPTION to change or disable some of the stupidities in Lion?

I'm so sick and tired of this attitude that Lion isn't broken and that Apple shouldn't change anything because it works for you.

News flash, you're not the only person on the planet.

-SC

You're right but 90% of times people get used to things, even if they improve or a new smarter way to do thing appear, they will blame because it i different. I work in a reseller and most people who complains something about Lion simply didn't understand what these functions are made for. I'm not saying this is your case, but for 99% Lion is a great experience and overall an improvements.

More release we will get, more bug fixes and refinements we will get so it is good for all. 10.7.2 performance are great and smokes out 10.6.8. in 3D and cpu, the problem for many are the loading and saving, Lion make a lot of disk usage and on older machine/slow hard disk you notice it a lot.

Save state is awesome, and reopen application is great believe me. Anyway i can't wait for 10.7.3 for some gfx drivers bug fixes and i'm sure better "normal usage" performance.

For example Mission control is AWESOME and i can assure you most of the users agree with that, i'm using it much more than old expose, new gestures are faster, full screen and dashboard in Mission Control are very handy and i love the fact Mission Control show you windows of the same app together. An option to make it similar to Exposé could be handy to some i agree, but you can't make every option available, users make many errors and mistakes when you offer many problems. Sadly not all are nerds (even if it should be the case in a good world :)).

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
What? Look, man, i open an app and tap it's icon twice in the Dock (Magic Mouse obviously) and i get Expose with windows of that app.

So does this require a magic mouse?
It doesn't work for me when I double tap app icon via trackpad on my MBP (I don't have a magic mouse).

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
So does this require a magic mouse?
It doesn't work for me when I double tap app icon via trackpad on my MBP (I don't have a magic mouse).

Try double tapping with two fingers on the trackpad. Also, you can enable a three finger swipe down to be the Application Expose with the trackpad in the trackpad preferences.

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
Try double tapping with two fingers on the trackpad. Also, you can enable a three finger swipe down to be the Application Expose with the trackpad in the trackpad preferences.

2 finger double tap worked. Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.