Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

actionmoviefx-150x151.jpg

JJ Abrams has been involved in the creation of some of the most successful movies and TV shows of recent years, including directing the reboot of Star Trek, co-creating the television show Lost, and producing the just-released Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol.

His company, Bad Robot Productions, typically focuses on his motion picture properties -- however, the company has now branched out into iOS apps with Action Movie FX.

The free app allows users to insert incredibly realistic special effects into videos shot within the app. Action Movie FX includes two free effects, Missile Attack! and Car Smash. Four more effects -- Chopper Down and Tornado, Air Strike and Firefight -- are available in two-packs via in-app purchase. Each set is $0.99, with more effects promised.

Business Insider's Ellis Hamburger filmed this clip inside BI's New York City headquarters, noting that the creation of the movie took "two minutes, tops."

Action Movie FX is available for free on the App Store, with two effects packs available via in-app purchase for $0.99 each. [Direct Link]

Article Link: JJ Abrams' Action Movie FX App Blows Up Just About Everything

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
That's actually a pretty good idea for an app! Might have to get this (well, the additional content packs).

Cancelled
Jul 23, 2008
If that first clip with the car was done all on the iPhone thats incredible, i'll be grabbing this app!

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Hahaha, outstanding! I just destroyed the wife with a missile, and she pulled out all the stops with a dramatic reaction! :D

It's cool, you select the effect, then it fires up the camera, you shoot whatever amount of video, then add the FX on a timeline (so you can have plenty of lead in). It even gives you a target overlay while you're recording. Then it does a final post process and you've got your video.

It does require you to allow access to the app if you're going to share on FB, etc. (it's not in the normal camera roll), though I'm going to root around and see if I can find the actual video file in the filesystem.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
I got this one while it is free ... sure, it will get old quick, but dropping a car on stuff or blowing it up will be entertaining to my kids.

jlgolson

Contributing Editor
Jun 2, 2011
Durango, CO
It does require you to allow access to the app if you're going to share on FB, etc. (it's not in the normal camera roll), though I'm going to root around and see if I can find the actual video file in the filesystem.
If you click "Share" from within the app, you can send it to the camera roll.

I also noticed that if you email it to yourself from within the app, rather than exporting to camera roll and THEN emailing it, it exports a larger video size.

If people want to see videos of the other effects, I can throw those up on YouTube too, though they don't work as well inside the house.

lazyrighteye

Contributor
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

jlgolson said:
If people want to see videos of the other effects, I can throw those up on YouTube too, though they don't work as well inside the house.

Yes please. Thanks.

Kid A

macrumors regular
May 1, 2008
Now if only I could meet JJ Abrams, I could use this app to destroy him the way he destroyed Star Trek.

black743

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2010
Huntington, WV
Love the app but I can't get it to publish to facebook. I click share and publish and send it off but it never appears on facebook at all. The first time I think I hit "not allow" but now I can't figure out how to allow it instead.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Kid A said:
Now if only I could meet JJ Abrams, I could use this app to destroy him the way he destroyed Star Trek.

He made the only good star trek movie/show ever. Too bad that is the extent of his good works... Well that and this app.

rickdollar

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

The dog is now dead and the house is destroyed.

Morky

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2002
NYC

You can save your films to the photo app.

ShaolinMiddleFinger

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2001
crashes...

Love the app but it crashes my iPhone 4S when I try to download the extra effects.

On my iPad 2, no problem... =/

RoboCop001

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2005
Toronto, Canada

Star Trek was dead ever since Voyager. Maybe even since the last season or two of TNG. Though the last season of Enterprise was actually pretty good. Except for the final episode which was a joke.

I really enjoyed the new film though.

Better than Insurrection and Nemesis combined and multiplied exponentially 10 thousand times!

This app is awesome! lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.