Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jan 5, 2012, 10:29 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple's 'Red Friday' Sales Go Live in Several Asian Countries

Earlier this week, we noted that Apple was planning to hold a "Red Friday" sale in a number of its Asian markets in celebration of the Lunar New Year. The sale has now gone live in those countries, and a quick examination of the Hong Kong promotion reveals similar discounts to those seen on Black Friday in much of the world back in November.

In Hong Kong, Apple is offering discounts of roughly 8% on Wi-Fi iPad models across the board, while 3G-capable models are seeing slightly smaller discounts of 6-7%. The iPod touch is seeing approximately 10% discounts on all models, while the iPod nano is seeing a flat HK$ 80 discount that equates to an 8% discount on the 8 GB model and a 6.7% discount on the 16 GB model.

On the Mac side, Apple is offering a flat HK$ 770 discount on all MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, and iMac models. That discount translates to a 10% discount on the low-end MacBook Air, decreasing to 4% on the high-end MacBook Pro.

Apple's Red Friday sale is a one-day offer valid in China, Hong Kong, Malaysia, Singapore, South Korea, Taiwan, and Thailand.

Article Link: Apple's 'Red Friday' Sales Go Live in Several Asian Countries
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2012, 10:35 AM   #2
GeekLawyer
macrumors Demi-God

That's a cool dragon.
GeekLawyer is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2012, 10:37 AM   #3
skier777
macrumors 6502

Is it grab bag day as well?
skier777 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2012, 10:39 AM   #4
jclardy
macrumors 68020

Looks to be similar to Apple's Black Friday sale in the US.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 10:39 AM   #5
Consultant
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier777 View Post
I think grab bag is only in Japan.
Consultant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2012, 10:47 AM   #6
cvaldes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier777 View Post
No, the lucky bag is a Japanese tradition.

Note that the Japanese follow the Gregorian (Western) calendar, not the Chinese lunar calendar. The Japanese celebrate the New Year on January 1st.
cvaldes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2012, 10:51 AM   #7
CylonGlitch
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvaldes View Post
No, the lucky bag is a Japanese tradition.
Can we make this an American Tradition as well... at least for the Apple Stores here? I'd be all over this.
Last edited by CylonGlitch : Tomorrow at 37:05 AM.
MRoogle
CylonGlitch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2012, 10:54 AM   #8
*LTD*
Banned

I'd love that dragon wallpaper. Or maybe it's just an image placed there for marketing . . .
*LTD* is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2012, 11:02 AM   #9
Mrawr
macrumors member

I really want that dragon for my iPad background.
Mrawr is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2012, 11:17 AM   #10
cvaldes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonGlitch View Post
Can we make this an American Tradition as well... at least for the Apple Stores here? I'd be all over this.
Send an e-mail to Tim.

That said, the people you would need to convince would be Joe Consumer (or at least Apple's retail customers) and certainly not the people who frequent Apple rumor forums. Based on the pissy "these discounts are pitiful" comments on Black Friday, I doubt if this would fly.

Too many people would be suing Apple because they got a lucky bag with an iPod nano and not the one with the MacBook Air.
cvaldes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2012, 03:49 PM   #11
skier777
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvaldes View Post
Send an e-mail to Tim.

That said, the people you would need to convince would be Joe Consumer (or at least Apple's retail customers) and certainly not the people who frequent Apple rumor forums. Based on the pissy "these discounts are pitiful" comments on Black Friday, I doubt if this would fly.

Too many people would be suing Apple because they got a lucky bag with an iPod nano and not the one with the MacBook Air.
You're right theres no way this would work in the US, people wouldn't find it fun to take the risk. That being said, I don't think people would sue Apple, the cost to get a laser wouldn't justify the difference in price between the MBA and the iPod. And if you were to take them to court for some reason, apple would probably happily settle by handing the consumer a laptop.
skier777 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2012, 05:56 PM   #12
28monkeys
macrumors 6502

The best way of pleasing Asian customers.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 09:08 PM   #13
SANALAO168
macrumors newbie

why is philippines not included on the 2nd post

philippines was included in the first news thread and subsequently nowhere to be found in this thread. we do celebrate chinese new year too, in fact our government declared that day to be a holiday. Apple, why not us? guess we are too small a market

Last edited by SANALAO168; Jan 5, 2012 at 09:15 PM.
SANALAO168 is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2012, 12:16 AM   #14
chkenwing
macrumors regular

I went to the IFC store about an hour ago, the queue is huge! It stretched across the length of the store inside and then outside. Was hoping to pick up a 32Gb model but ended up having to ask a family member to order one for me online because I'm sure as hell not going to queue up for 2+ hours since I have work.

Gonna be a new owner of a new iPad 2 in about a days time
Old Jan 21, 2012, 05:26 PM   #15
SilianRail
macrumors 6502

What connotation of red?

SilianRail is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion