Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In an effort to continue throwing ideas at the wall to see what might stick, the only occasionally reliable Digitimes today reported that not only will Apple be releasing the iPad 3 with high-resolution "Retina" display in March as is widely expected, but that the company will follow that up with the release of the iPad 4 in October.

white_ipad_2_oblique-500x210.jpg

On the topic of the iPad 3, Digitimes suggests that the Retina display will be the main attraction of the new device, with better battery life also serving to entice customers. But other hardware upgrades for the iPad 3 are said to be rather minimal, as Apple is reportedly rolling out the iPad 3 alongside an iPad 2 price cut to $399 as an interim effort to set the stage for a bigger battle with the competition later in the year.
Apple will ship the so-called "iPad 3" with a full HD display in March and then "iPad 4" - named so by its component suppliers - with killer applications in October, according to industry sources in Taiwan. [...]

But a true battle for market share will arrive in the second half of the year when Apple ships its iPad 4 in October, about the time when Microsoft releases its Window 8 and Intel unveils its Clover Trail-W platform, the sources commented.

The 9.7-inch iPad 4 is expected to come with much upgraded hardware specifications and integrated applications so as to compete with an array of Android-, Wintel- or WoA (Windows on ARM)-based tablet PCs to be released in the fourth quarter, said the sources.
The rumor is somewhat reminiscent of last year's round of claims, which suggested that the iPad 2's successor would appear in late 2011 as an interim upgrade carrying a Retina display. Claims of a late 2011 iPad came from several different sources in July and early August of last year before other sources including The Wall Street Journal put the claim to rest.

Digitimes has a proliferative record of Apple-related rumors and has occasionally offered accurate information. But its information is generally considered unreliable given a significant number of claims that have failed to materialize. Claims of two separate iPad launches this year are sure to pique interest though, and we'll be waiting to hear if other sources offer similar information going forward.

Article Link: 'iPad 4' Headed for October Launch with iPad 3 as Interim Upgrade?

HarryKeogh

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
And don't forget the iPad 5 to be released in December 2012 in time for the holiday season.

Then get ready for 2013. "The Year of the iPad". New iPads every month!

scharf10

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2007
Can't see it. If the original iPad still does well for enough people who skipped the iPad 2, I can't see the need to release two different models in one year. I'd imagine Apple will stick to their yearly cycle.

farmermac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2009
Iowa
Hard to believe that these news outlets that have been around for a few years would spout ridiculous rumors like this. Apple wouldn't benefit from out dating their hardware every 6 months android-style.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Another day, another iPad rumour.

Kee 'em coming, though. iPad discussion should be at front-and-centre anyway.

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
Wasn't it reported that the iPad3 would be out in October 2011 shortly after the iPad2? Sounds like someone who likes to create rumors likes this one.

I cannot see this happening.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm using an iPad 1 and so depending on what the 3 has to offer will dictate whether I decide to buy when that's released or when the 4 is released later in the year.

btw, this is nearly the same rumor last year. An early iPad 2 release and in the fall a hi-res iPad 3 will be hitting the streets. That never materialized so lets wait and see if this pans out

5aga

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2003
Gig City
Not a fan of that method. Just update it yearly. Two upgrades in a year. I would be jelous if it mine was no longer current in several months.

TBH this makes sense with the Android tablets evolving faster than the iPad.

At this point Apple needs to speed up the pace a little. With more competition they need to be more competitive.

But I agree its kind of crappy to buy one knowing its obsolete in six months. So I would personally prefer a competitive edge via iOS updates every six months. THat would also extend the life of these devices.

1town

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2007
Oh brother..

Here we go again, let's just rehash the whole rumor mill from last year, where iPad 2 was to come out first, then iPad 3 in the fall.

Not. Gonna. Happen.

Also, how the hell are they gonna add a retina display to the iPad WITHOUT upgrading the hardware? Does anyone really think the iPad can run a >1080p screen with the current hardware?

Liquinn

Suspended
Apr 10, 2011
This is why I'm getting a Mac Mini tomorrow. The rumors of the iPad are just out of control.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
No way 2 iPads get released in the same year. I can see an iPad 3 with iOS 6 toward the end of the year that brings new apps with it.

psonice

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2005
Malignant rumours

Who would buy the iPad 3 with an iPad 4 coming within 6 months? Nobody - which is why a rumour like this is likely planted by Apple's competitors.

What will happen? They'll release the iPad 3 (or 2s) (with or without retina screen) in the spring like they have for the last 2 years. In the autumn, they'll update it. With iOS6, not hardware. And there's a reasonable chance it'll have new killer applications, because they update those too.

baweathe

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2012
Nope....

Apple will NOT release 2 iPads in one year...won't happen. Apple wants to make sure they are getting a purchase full cycle out of a product before releasing a new one.

Why would they waste the time and energy on an iPad 3 if an iPad 4 is imminent? Makes no sense.

striker33

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2010
They say this for every Apple product, but it never happens.

Lets face it, the iPad 3 needs to be quad core, and needs the upgraded display. Beyond that, theres nothing but a GHz boost that could be considered a real upgrade if the iPad 4 launched so soon after.

Theres not much chance of it being anything less than quad core with a better GPU, otherwise at such a high resolution, the device will be painful to use.

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
Why this is "news" is anyone's guess , iPad 3 (aka iPad 2s) early ish 2012 release followed by iPad 3 release late 2012 to scalp the early upgrades for a double payment,

It's worked for the iPhone so why would apple not do the same for the iPad ?

basesloaded190

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
Wisconsin
I really can't believe anything this guys are spitting out day after day. I will start to believe these rumors when sources like the Wall Street Journal start getting info or people like Josh Topolsky get tips. Anyone else Needs to be taken with a large grain of salt.

Mr.DD216

macrumors member
Dec 23, 2011
No!

Out of all the rumors I've heard on here this one is the dumbest! We all know this one isn't true. End of Story…smh next rumor…

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
"But a true battle for market share"

Sorry. What? What battle? They have the marketshare for tablets. Silly statement.

edk99

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2009
FL
This is the same thing that happened last year, iPad 2 in Feb/March 2011 and iPad 3 in Sep/Oct 2011. LOL!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.