Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Last August, Apple expanded its recycling program in the United States to allow customers to turn in their used iPhones and iPads for Apple gift cards.

uk_iphone_recycling.jpg

As noted by Macworld UK and Macerkopf.de [Google translation], Apple has once again expanded its recycling efforts by bringing a similar initiative to the UK, France, and Germany. But rather than offering payment in the form of an Apple gift card, the program in these countries offers users cash deposited into their bank accounts.
With the Reuse and Recycling Programme, you could turn your old equipment into a brand-new Mac, iPod, iPhone or iPad.

Whether it's an iPhone, iPad, Mac or PC computer, working or not, we'll take it and determine if it qualifies for reuse and has a monetary value. If it does, the amount will be credited directly into your bank account. If it doesn't, you can recycle it responsibly through one of our free recycling programs.
The program, offered in conjunction with the German arm of electronics recycler Dataserv, builds upon Apple's existing programs for recycling Macs, PCs, batteries, iPods, and mobile phones.

Apple supports recycling efforts in a number of other countries through third-party organizations with details for each region of the globe available from Apple's main recycling program pages.

Article Link: Apple Expands iPhone and iPad Recycling Program to UK, Germany, and France

flynndean

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2011
London, England
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A405)

Certainly this market is already incredibly well served in the UK due to WEEE. There are countless companies offering cash for old phones, including the network operators themselves at contract renewal.

Apple will need to differentiate themselves somehow...

Ants42

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2010
Nice one, Apple

iPhone 3GS 32GB (white, working condition)

cash4phones: £111.11
Mazuma Mobile: £108.00
envirofone: £102.11
Apple: £52.00

Nice one, Apple.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
I can't see what value Apple is adding to the market in the UK

I've always used mazuma and they offer far higher prices (£215 for a 32GB iPhone 4) and don't care if the devices are scratched as long as they work.

Also they pay hard cash rather than gift vouchers and the money is in your account within hours of receiving the phone: none of this bait and switch nonsense with an "evaluation" of the phone when they receive it - if your phone works you get your cash!

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
My 20" Aluminium iMac from mid 2009?

Cost me £829 ... offering me £147 if I wanted to sell it.

iPhone 4 16GB black? Cost me £500 new almost a year ago to the day (warranty expires in 2 days) ... £177.

I'd rather rub my balls with sandpaper.

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2008

Nice one, Apple.

Really? Where did you get apple's pricing? this is a joke! Oh dear apple..

mrboult

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2008
London, England

Nice one, Apple.

That's is amusingly poor on Apple's part.

My 20" Aluminium iMac from mid 2009?

Cost me £829 ... offering me £147 if I wanted to sell it.

iPhone 4 16GB black? Cost me £500 new almost a year ago to the day (warranty expires in 2 days) ... £177.

I'd rather rub my balls with sandpaper.

I nearly soiled my self with laughter at that comment.

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A405)Apple will need to differentiate themselves somehow...

They are: incredibly bad value.

I have an old 2G 8GB in the cupboard. They go for £40 - 50 on Ebay. The site offered me £7. If I threw in the charging cable, which is actually still useful to me and worth more than that on it's own.

Phazer

Rab C

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2012

Nice one, Apple.
You also have to take into account the usual tricks played by these people. They will offer say £100 online and you send it in and then they offer a lower price based on some random reason, e.g. scratched, etc.

The £52 offered by Apple is more realistic and probably what the others will offer in reality.

Edit: Reviews like these are typical of such recycle companies (this for envirofone):
http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews98440.html

swordfish5736

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2007
Cesspool
Most people that take advantage of apples program are not worrying about getting every penny they can but more interested in recycling an old device so it doesn't end up in a land fill.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

CRIIM44 said:
Most people that take advantage of apples program are not worrying about getting every penny they can but more interested in recycling an old device so it doesn't end up in a land fill.

Other companies that buy your old phone don't landfill them - they are recycled: This from Mazuma Mobile

Mazuma Mobile aim to reuse over 95% of the mobile phones received in various developing markets where the cost of new mobile phones is sometimes unaffordable.
Where mobile phones are not reusable, we promise to recycle them in the most environmentally friendly way.
We are a Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment (WEEE) Authorised Treatment Facility and are ISO 14001 Environmental Management System Accredited.

You also have to take into account the usual tricks played by these people. They will offer say £100 online and you send it in and then they offer a lower price based on some random reason, e.g. scratched, etc.

The £52 offered by Apple is more realistic and probably what the others will offer in reality.

Edit: Reviews like these are typical of such recycle companies (this for envirofone):
http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews98440.html

I've never used envirofone, but have recycled loads of old phones through mazuma and have never had so much as a single penny less than the offer made online and they pay cash into your bank within hours of receiving the phone

Whatever way you look at it, the apple option is not a good deal compared to the rest of the market

quasinormal

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Sydney, Australia.
Bottom feeders. Its a scam.

Other companies that buy your old phone don't landfill them - they are recycled: This from Mazuma Mobile

Recycled=Sold to third worlders at exorbitant prices no doubt.

Doesn't Apple at least donate the usable stuff to schools etc?

Xenc

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2010
London, England
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Poor prices. Use eBay or one of the other countless "recycling" websites.

iStudentUK

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2009
London

I've sold quite a few old things online to these recycle sites, phones, iPods, digital cameras etc and never had a reduction made. Apple is offering poor value here, the UK electronic recycling market is already pretty saturated.

LastLine

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2005
Bottom feeders. Its a scam.

Recycled=Sold to third worlders at exorbitant prices no doubt.

Doesn't Apple at least donate the usable stuff to schools etc?
Who cares? Ultimately you're recycling - if a company can make a profit on that and employ people because of it? Fair play to them.

garybUK

Jun 3, 2002
I know, you wonder why people use these recyclers. There again, maybe people cant be bothered with the scammers on other sites!

I have used them, why?

1) Auction sites minus insertion fees
2) Risk's involved with sending items to buyers (who's to say the winner isn't a scammer)
3) Ease of use, these recyclers are a LOT less hassle, they send you pre-paid postage and offer insured mail options
4) Can send in batches of multiples, I sent in 4 phones at last upgrade.

Apple's prices are a bit of a con to be honest, i bet they use a lot of these for refurbs.

limesmoothie

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2009
Edinburgh, Scotland
These prices are laughable. I normally recycle my phones via CEX and get a decent price in a store close to my home. Apple don't seem particularly serious about this 'offer'.

Mico8914

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2012
OK, well Apple really offers close to nothing $ for those used phones.. Any online trade-in company would pay 2-3 times that $. I suggest using websites like GS as a price reference when trying to get rid of your older Apple products.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.