Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jan 19, 2012, 09:58 AM   #101
ericinboston
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by milo View Post
Maybe you only had flimsy textbooks but when I was in college mine tended to be big and heavy, especially when I'd have to take four or five with me which was very common.

The size and weight issue is HUGE, Apple is absolutely right to make that one of the primary selling points.
I went to college for 4 years...majored in Computer Science with Business Applications. I had lots of computer books, science, and math. Yes, each was well over 300 pages long. Yes, some were heavy...but NONE were some kind of 1200 page monster.

In college, I would attend a few classes each day (usually 3-4) and most had at least 1 hour or more between classes...so I did not need to carry around all 3-4 books every day.

Yes, there were times I had to carry a few books (maybe I was going to the library to study between classes)...but again, backpacks (not just for books you know...billions of hikers use them) are designed to not only CARRY 40+ pounds of material, but to make that weight COMFORTABLE while walking.

I'm not a body builder.

Is size/weight a selling point? Yes. But it's a bit of a stretch. Weight/size is ALWAYS a selling point for any product sold in the world, though. I'm more interested in how/why this new model would be adopted.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 09:58 AM   #102
Small White Car
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by c:v View Post
I can read a book that is 500 years old but I can't even read my floppy disks anymore. Food for thouhgt. This is not for education, this is for consumation.
I'd be a little worried if schools were issuing 500 year old textbooks.

That's kind of the point here. Too many schools have the problem of textbooks that are only 10 years old. A lot changes happen in history and science in that time, the books fall behind, and they can't afford to replace them all. Cheaper book prices will let them update their books more frequently.

And that's a positive thing.
Small White Car is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2012, 09:58 AM   #103
drober30
macrumors 6502a

Apple really needs an "education iPad" with a custom iOS that gets rid of any unnecessary apps and does not allow gaming.

As an information technology teacher in a high school with a classroom full of computers and Internet/student flash drives, I know first hand there will be a new level of classroom management that takes place. Not saying teachers cant discipline students who are off ask but why not give students an iPad that is customized just for learning and allow teachers to focus on teaching and not worrying about students playing Angry Birds.
drober30 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2012, 09:59 AM   #104
basesloaded190
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to basesloaded190
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeTurtles View Post
LMAO what country do you live in?
The one where it has already been mentioned that schools have already been buying laptops for students. People act as though every school district in the country is broke and barely above water, can't afford pencils or teachers. That's not the case.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 09:59 AM   #105
pfarfour
macrumors newbie

Who cares if everyone can utilize it or not from the start. I am an average middle class person who has ipads in the house and look forward to these types of tools being available for my kids. I think alot of parents will buy into this especially if the interactive learning provides results with their children.
pfarfour is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2012, 10:00 AM   #106
AppleScruff1
macrumors 604

Kids carrying iPad will be an even easier target for the junkies and thieves who already steal iPhones and iPads. It will be worse than it was with Nike Air Jordans back in the day.
AppleScruff1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2012, 10:00 AM   #107
codyc815
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeTurtles View Post
LMAO what country do you live in?
I have a friend who teaches second grade and the school has provided iPads to cover 1/3 of the students at his school. Apple gives discounts and offers refurbished iPads at a lower price to the districts.
codyc815 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2012, 10:00 AM   #108
Small White Car
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by drober30 View Post
Apple really needs an "education iPad" with a custom iOS that gets rid of all the unnecessary apps and does not allow gaming.
An ePad would be a fantastic idea.
Small White Car is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2012, 10:00 AM   #109
damir00
macrumors 6502a

Textbooks, however formatted, have nothing - zero - nada - to do with getting students "interested in learning again".

That's a pipe dream.
damir00 is offline   -3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2012, 10:00 AM   #110
RickNTpa
macrumors newbie

Nice release...

Looks like iBooks Author is only for 10.7, not backward compatible per the AppStore...
RickNTpa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2012, 10:01 AM   #111
punisher1-1
macrumors member

Hopefully they will soon have make this work with college text books that would save a lot of money and being an Iraq vet with a bad back from carrying 120 lbs of gear 12 hours a day for 2 years this would save me some grief as well. Everyone knows technology evolves and paper text books won't be around forever. This would also encourage kids to actually look at their text books instead of just lugging them around. Interactive is the way of future learning.
 TV2
punisher1-1 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2012, 10:01 AM   #112
KALLT
macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Sadly, still no iWork update. Why am I even hoping for that?
KALLT is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2012, 10:01 AM   #113
ct2k7
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by KALLT View Post
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Sadly, still no iWork update. Why am I even hoping for that?
Is iWork dead?
ct2k7 is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2012, 10:01 AM   #114
HigherEd
macrumors newbie

Shifting the cost of public education

I like the tools, but worry that the idea of iPad-centric books will place financial burdens on the poorest -- those who most need to have a good education, and who can least afford to pay for the whiz-bang technology on display here. Public schools have traditionally supplied books for all their students -- now students have to come up with cash. Insurmountable obstacle? No -- but one to consider seriously.
HigherEd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2012, 10:02 AM   #115
mrzeigler
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericinboston View Post
I went to college for 4 years...majored in Computer Science with Business Applications. I had lots of computer books, science, and math. Yes, each was well over 300 pages long. Yes, some were heavy...but NONE were some kind of 1200 page monster.

In college, I would attend a few classes each day (usually 3-4) and most had at least 1 hour or more between classes...so I did not need to carry around all 3-4 books every day.

Yes, there were times I had to carry a few books (maybe I was going to the library to study between classes)...but again, backpacks (not just for books you know...billions of hikers use them) are designed to not only CARRY 40+ pounds of material, but to make that weight COMFORTABLE while walking.

I'm not a body builder.

Is size/weight a selling point? Yes. But it's a bit of a stretch. Weight/size is ALWAYS a selling point for any product sold in the world, though. I'm more interested in how/why this new model would be adopted.
Did you live on/near campus or commute?

If you can go back to your dorm or apartment between classes, book weight isn't a big issue.

If you catch a bus or share a ride or even have a car, you're far more likely to have a bookbag filled with all the books you need for the day ... and if you attend an urban college, as I did, you probably park in the cheapest parking spot, which is the farthest from your classes, so you're not going back and forth to your car during the day to pick up/drop off books.
mrzeigler is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2012, 10:02 AM   #116
samcraig
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookshanes View Post
1) You evidently have never shared a locker that was too small for even ONE student.
2) You evidently drive or live very close to school and have a bus service that is free.

This is about the most silver-spooned response I have ever read...

I guarantee kids would choose iPad over physical books, and this is about getting kids excited to learn.
Talk about silver spooned. The ipad is a luxury device LOL. Ironic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by basesloaded190 View Post
Why are you so against this? No one is forcing anyone to 1) buy ipads and 2) buy the books for them. The option is there for those who can to use it.
I am not against using eBooks in schools. At all. I realistically look at the current landscape and with many friends who are teachers and are forced to buy their own school supplies wonder how iPads will be paid for. Is that unreasonable? Is it unreasonable to question who will shoulder the load of paying for the content - school or individual?

I personally can afford both the iPad and its content. It's not an issue for ME, personally. However I'm not egocentric and understand that there are thousands upon thousands of students and their families (and schools) that this is beyond their means. Do they HAVE to adopt eBooks - of course not. But it's germane to the conversation.
samcraig is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2012, 10:02 AM   #117
RickNTpa
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleScruff1 View Post
Kids carrying iPad will be an even easier target for the junkies and thieves who already steal iPhones and iPads. It will be worse than it was with Nike Air Jordans back in the day.
We were thinking the same thing.. instead of taking their shoes or their lunch money it will be their iPad...

There are a lot of those smaller communities and inner city communities that won't be able to benefit/afford this technology either, let alone the parents...

It's a great attempt, however, I don't think it is a fit all time of fix unfortunately....
RickNTpa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2012, 10:02 AM   #118
jhende7
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericinboston View Post
I'm more interested in how/why this new model would be adopted.
Why it will be adopted? If portability was such a non-issue (as you seem to think), there would be no such thing as laptops, and there would definitely be no netbooks/ultra portables.

You ask for evidence of why this will be adopted? Look no further than the fact that the MBA is Apples fastest growing hardware.
jhende7 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2012, 10:03 AM   #119
unregbaron
macrumors regular

iBooks Author interests me but these books aren't going to sit on the homescreen with their own icon will they?

You will need to open the iBook app and then find the book?
unregbaron is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2012, 10:03 AM   #120
Mausse
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenerdal View Post
The problem with eduction in US is the education system. Don't think Apple can fix that.
haha That's a Steve quote!
Mausse is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2012, 10:03 AM   #121
mrzeigler
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by drober30 View Post
Apple really needs an "education iPad" with a custom iOS that gets rid of any unnecessary apps and does not allow gaming.

As an information technology teacher in a high school with a classroom full of computers and Internet/student flash drives, I know first hand there will be a new level of classroom management that takes place. Not saying teachers cant discipline students who are off ask but why not give students an iPad that is customized just for learning and allow teachers to focus on teaching and not worrying about students playing Angry Birds.
If the iPads are district provided, how are students getting the password to install all these games?
mrzeigler is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2012, 10:03 AM   #122
marcusj0015
Banned

What don't you people get? if a school gets iPads, they can simply buy one copy of a textbook for $15 and they can get 40 ipads, they can apck moer students to a teacher and they can actually save money.

and what kind of IT would they need? they can't customize iOS, all they'd have to do is keep the apps up to date and sync'd with iTunes, which they can do wirelessly.
marcusj0015 is offline   -3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2012, 10:04 AM   #123
nOw2
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by c:v View Post
I can read a book that is 500 years old but I can't even read my floppy disks anymore. Food for thouhgt. This is not for education, this is for consumation.
Dude, you mean "consumption", right?..
nOw2 is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2012, 10:05 AM   #124
jamesaberry
macrumors newbie

Send a message via MSN to jamesaberry
Perhaps this launch of iBooks 2 and the concentration on selling iPad as a potential textbook replacement is another indication that the new iPad will indeed have a retina display.

Who wants to study a book intensely that is a strain to read.
jamesaberry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2012, 10:05 AM   #125
Bearxor
macrumors 6502

I was really expecting some sort of price break for education announcement or a smaller iPad focused on textbook usage.

I almost came away from the event coverage with a "If you care about education as much as you claim you do, put your money where your mouth is."

Apple is poised here. They could knock iPad's down to $200 for educational institutions to buy and make it up on the backend through their cut of textbook sales. They could replace textbooks tomorrow if they wanted to. Without that, it's to going to happen.
Bearxor is offline   -2 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion