Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
What I want to see now is Evi take on IBM's Watson on Jeopardy. :)

Wouldn't it be cool if there was a Watson app next?

AcesHigh87

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2009
New Brunswick, Canada
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A405)

Wondering if their servers are getting over burdened because I keep getting the "I'm having trouble getting a response from my servers. You might want to try again in a minute." as well.

Never used Siri but I hope it's much better than this. Much of what I say it doesn't seem to understand.

I'm betting they are a bit over-burdened right now is all. Plus, from my perspective (android user) it's still in beta so there are bound to be issues. When I do finally get an answer though Evi seems to do pretty well.

TLewis

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2007
Wondering if their servers are getting over burdened because I keep getting the "I'm having trouble getting a response from my servers. You might want to try again in a minute." as well.
Yup. Servers appear to be overloaded. They really need to address that if they want to have a chance at Siri. (Seriously, how could they not see this coming. :rolleyes: )

Also, the voice recognition is pretty hit-and-miss for me.

zigzagg321

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2011
the wire
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A405)

This is all I get as well... I expect that once the surge calms, it will get better.

TLewis

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2007
This is all I get as well... I expect that once the surge calms, it will get better.
I hope so. However, even with all of the users from MacRumors, Appleinsider, TUAW, Lifehacker, and others pounding on Evi, the total number is probably tiny compared to the number of Siri users. The Evi folks really need to increase server capacity if they want even a tiny chance of taking away some marketshare from Siri. Also, the longer this server capacity issue goes on, the more people who'll stop using Evi and not come back.

KindredMAC

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2003
The first time I used the original Siri it had the same issues as Evi today.
I downloaded the original Siri app because of an article on here a while back and couldn't use it for a day or two but then it was beautiful. I hope for the same experience with Evi.

Biscuit411

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

Siri is still pretty buggy for me too. I'd say half the time it either doesn't understand what I'm saying, or it's 'busy'. The 'busy' comments showed up the other day while I was demoing Siri to a friend. No more Siri demos for me... :-(

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
i barely use siri because her voice drives me crazy, she sounds like some angry ex wife

Last edited:

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
Too bad it is not integrated into the OS like Siri is.

But works on all the devices compared to Apple 100% BS blocking of anything not 4S.

Yup. Servers appear to be overloaded. They really need to address that if they want to have a chance at Siri. (Seriously, how could they not see this coming. :rolleyes: )

Also, the voice recognition is pretty hit-and-miss for me.

I except they could see it coming but nothing they could do about it due to lack of funds. Compared to Apple that choose to be cheap and not bother. The lack of funds and resources is not an excuse for Apple.

cere

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2008
I'd love to see Evi get better and even be better than Siri (where they have overlap) since I am still on a 4 (because I am in Canada won't be eligible for an upgrade until 2013 when the iPhone after the 5 comes out). But no matter how good it gets it cannot be a replacement for Siri because it can't tie into OS operations and system data the way Siri can. Without that level of access, will it be able to make appointments or look up contacts?

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
This is amazing! Siri is pretty useless unless you're in the USA, since the most useful things are location searches, which it can't do for some reason.

Gil2264

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2009
Siri vs. Evi...

My guess is that apple will eventually buy Evi out and incorporate it into the next OS.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Pot, meet kettle.

You're allowed to be smug if you're correct. But when someone comes out with a statement that implies its a Siri rip off, you can see they have done no research to back that up. Evi has a MUCH better AI than Siri. Try it for yourself.

http://eu.techcrunch.com/2012/01/23/evi-arrives-in-town-to-go-toe-to-toe-with-siri/

The question about Queen Elizabeth in the above article is enough to show that Evi has a lot more intelligence than Siri.

More info - it uses True Knowledge, which Siri does not. It's also patented, so is something Apple can not do without going through Evi's developers.

http://www.slashgear.com/evi-one-ups-siri-for-ios-and-android-23210365/
http://www.webpronews.com/evi-siri-ios-android-2012-01
http://9to5mac.com/2012/01/23/for-ios-users-without-siri-there-is-evi/

Lukeyy19

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
England, UK
so far i have got 2 useful answers, 3 completely irrelevant answers, and 20 answers of "I'm having trouble getting a response from my servers"

this isn't looking promising...

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
But works on all the devices compared to Apple 100% BS blocking of anything not 4S.

Why should Apple release it everywhere when it's contributing to record sales of their own device? :confused:

----------

so far i have got 2 useful answers, 3 completely irrelevant answers, and 20 answers of "I'm having trouble getting a response from my servers"

She aint Siri.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007

They are having server issues which seem reminiscent of the Siri launch. Give it a couple of days ;)

----------

She aint Siri.

But she uses the EXACT SAME voice recognition technology, so if it doesn't recognise what you're saying in Evi, it wont recognise it in Siri (and vice-versa)

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
Why should Apple release it everywhere when it's contributing to record sales of their own device? :confused:

Does not change the fact that it is a BS blocking. It tells us that Apple though the 4S was a crummy upgraded and they needed a BS reasons to force it.

No matter how you cut it the Siri on 4S is a completely BS software block. It is not hardware at all. It it was hardware then yeah it would be ok but its been proven multiple times over that Siri does not need the much hardware power to work. All it needs is a mic and a way to upload a small file.

Apple Key

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2012
Siri is still very young. She will learn and grow with time.

The logo reminds me of Leela from Futurama.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.