Apple to Give Employees $500 Off Macs and $250 Off iPads - Page 3 - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jan 26, 2012, 06:26 AM   #51
thecartoonguy
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogee View Post
yes its 27%.

I dont think its good to loose the yearly 27% discount and replace it with a once in 3 year 500$ discount. As it is on my pay I can hardly afford a Mac.

oh and we do already get a discount on iPads. 2%.
No it's 25% as I work at Apple. This discount will remain and the new discount can be used every three years.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 06:26 AM   #52
KnightWRX
macrumors Pentium

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeySee.... View Post
Well I have respect they are doing everything they can to protect themselves. I know others don't have this view but its ok.
So you also have respect for all the entities suing Apple, since they are also doing everything they can to protect themselves ?
Old Jan 26, 2012, 06:29 AM   #53
thecartoonguy
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by MultiMediaWill View Post
I wonder what discounts they give to Foxconn employees #laborlaws
I hope this was meant in jest. Apple was the only company to assist with wages for the employees and fought for better conditions.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 06:31 AM   #54
MonkeySee....
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightWRX View Post
So you also have respect for all the entities suing Apple, since they are also doing everything they can to protect themselves ?
Protecting yourself to stop getting sued is a bit different from protecting you IP.

Thats a different thread though

Always keep the rhythm in your feet and a little party in your shoulders. - Phil Dunphy
MonkeySee.... is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2012, 06:41 AM   #55
the8thark
macrumors 68030

Considering the very low wages Apple pay their retail staff and the high demands on them they deserve at least this.
the8thark is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2012, 06:48 AM   #56
KnightWRX
macrumors Pentium

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8thark View Post
Considering the very low wages Apple pay their retail staff and the high demands on them they deserve at least this.
I don't know if they deserve this or not (renumeration is something that is left between the employer and its employees) but this is pretty par for the course as I've seen for employee benefits.

When I was working for the cableco some 10 odd years, we had free cable service, including pay channels and 13$ cable Internet as part of our benefits. Basically, a value of around 80$ per month. That's much more generous than this offer from Apple.

So really, 25% once yearly and 500$ + 250$ (can you get both the discounts on the iPad and Mac or is it pick and choose which ?) each 3 years isn't that big a deal for a private entity, especially like you said, considering the low wages of retail staff.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 06:50 AM   #57
maflynn

That's a nice discount, I thought however apple was more generous with providing its employees with discounts before this.

Still, getting 500 off a new computer purchase is not something to complain about. My company does the same thing and it helps immensely in keeping me update to date on my Macs
Old Jan 26, 2012, 06:55 AM   #58
gnasher729
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8thark View Post
Any evidence that Apple does pay lower wages than other retail stores? For example, if you take a random Apple store, and check the wages for staff at the two stores to the left and to the right of it, do you think Apple pays less?
gnasher729 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2012, 06:56 AM   #59
MovieCutter
Banned

Still not worth the BS you have to deal with from customers.
MovieCutter is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2012, 07:03 AM   #60
JesseFogarty
macrumors newbie

I guess it's about time to fill out an application 25% percent off once a year, this new once every three year and ONE free lunch. Apple must love their employees that aren't building their products.
JesseFogarty is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2012, 07:06 AM   #61
APlotdevice
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by arn View Post
according to one report, the discounts stack. 25% + $500 off.

arn
Which discount precedes the other?

$1199 - (1199*25%) - $500 = $399.25

$1199 - $500 = $699 - (699*25%) = $524.25
Old Jan 26, 2012, 07:08 AM   #62
CapnJackGig
macrumors 6502a

Meanwhile the people that are manufacturing the devices get terrible work conditions and their pay withheld to punish them for not enough output.
CapnJackGig is offline   -4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2012, 07:09 AM   #63
voonyx
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnasher729 View Post
Any evidence that Apple does pay lower wages than other retail stores? For example, if you take a random Apple store, and check the wages for staff at the two stores to the left and to the right of it, do you think Apple pays less?
Doubtful, it's just the usual apple bashing
voonyx is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2012, 07:14 AM   #64
Lennholm
macrumors 6502a

Considering how I make twice that amount more every month at my current job (that I love) than what I did working at AppleCare (which I loathed) I certainly don't feel bad about missing out on this.
Ofcourse, I wouldn't get this even if I still were at AppleCare since I worked for a vendor, but still...
Lennholm is offline   -4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2012, 07:17 AM   #65
TallManNY
macrumors 68000

Well Apple has to find something to do with that cash they make. This is a nice perk but I wonder if it is taxable when the employee exercises it.

I agree with the poster above that it does add additional confusion about the price point for their items, but considering there are only about 40,000 Apple employees in the U.S., it won't come up that often. I guess it just makes it much more likely that everyone working at an Apple store will actually have an Apple product at home. Getting a 25% discount and then apply $500 off makes for a price point that no one can beat and even a retail employee should be able to afford a Mac Air or iMac when before they might have been settling for a windows netbook.
TallManNY is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2012, 07:23 AM   #66
j-traxx
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MultiMediaWill View Post
I wonder what discounts they give to Foxconn employees #laborlaws
why would apple give discounts to workers of a completely different company? how have you made that make sense in your head.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 07:23 AM   #67
SuperCachetes
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
When I was working for the cableco some 10 odd years, we had free cable service, including pay channels and 13$ cable Internet as part of our benefits. Basically, a value of around 80$ per month. That's much more generous than this offer from Apple.
Using what metric? Simple monetary value? Cable television would have zero value for me, but I imagine your cable company saw that benefit like Apple does, in that it helps employees "drink the Kool-Aid" rather than aid in recruiting.

I doubt Apple has any trouble filling retail positions lately, so they could just as easily not give any discounts (or give much smaller ones) and still have virtually the same quantity and quality of new hires.

I'm not in retail, and I'm paid relatively well, but in terms of incentives I get zip, nada, zilch where I work. To complain that a heavy discount on new computers isn't "generous" enough, especially in this economy, smacks of whining.
SuperCachetes is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2012, 07:35 AM   #68
Ziger Woods
macrumors member

Sounds like a discount double check to me (Aaron Rogers voice)
Old Jan 26, 2012, 07:38 AM   #69
maflynn

[MOD NOTE]
Keep the discussion on topic, which is employee discounts, not about working conditions in Foxconn or other facilities apple uses.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 07:39 AM   #70
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

So Apple gives its employees a second perk in the last few months (extra time off around Thanksgiving) and the brain surgeons on here try and make it a bad thing. Sad.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 07:45 AM   #71
KnightWRX
macrumors Pentium

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnasher729 View Post
Any evidence that Apple does pay lower wages than other retail stores?
I don't think that's what he was saying. In fact, I'm pretty sure Apple pays decent retail wages, but the plain fact is that retail wages are low for everyone in that industry doing actual floor work.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdowns View Post
So Apple gives its employees a second perk in the last few months (extra time off around Thanksgiving) and the brain surgeons on here try and make it a bad thing. Sad.
Who said it was a bad thing ? It's just not the incredible "I'm quitting my job and going to work for Apple!" thing some people are making it out to be.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCachetes View Post
Using what metric? Simple monetary value?
Yes, using a simple monetary value. This is what this is. You don't use cable, maybe the Apple employee doesn't use an iPad or a Mac. So what ? I was making a monetary argument to people who were ready to quite their day jobs for Apple over 250$/year.

Reality sinking in...
Old Jan 26, 2012, 07:50 AM   #72
jhende7
macrumors regular

Please.....

Quote:
I already do and it's not Apple. Not everyone only respects and believes in Apple you know...

In fact, with Apple's current behavior in courts around the world and with their walled iOS garden, I'd have some moral problems working for them.
Thank god your "opinion" means nothing to Apple.
jhende7 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2012, 07:51 AM   #73
fmiddleton
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgm View Post
Oh how generous. Such a big deal. Audi, Volkswagen, Mercedes, and Porsche pay each of their employers an annual bonus of several thousand Euros, depending on revenue.

Shame on Apple.
That's called a *bonus*, not a discount.
fmiddleton is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2012, 07:52 AM   #74
KnightWRX
macrumors Pentium

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhende7 View Post
Thank god your "opinion" means nothing to Apple.
Yes, let's thank "god" for removing choice and options in this world.

(no, I'm not religious either).

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmiddleton View Post
That's called a *bonus*, not a discount.
And this discount is also a bonus. It's a taxable advantage, at least here in Quebec.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 07:56 AM   #75
DESNOS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by maflynn View Post
[MOD NOTE]
Keep the discussion on topic, which is employee discounts, not about working conditions in Foxconn or other facilities apple uses.
Big brother is watching.
DESNOS is offline   6 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion