Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Macworld | iWorld 2012 kicked off this morning in San Francisco with the opening of the expo show floor. For years, Macworld was the major trade show for Apple to announce their new products. The venue was the launching ground for the first iPhone launch back in 2007.

Since Apple's departure, the show has continued with a focus on 3rd party companies. This year, the show has been rebranded as Macworld | iWorld reflecting the increased importance of iOS in the Apple ecosystem.

Clear

clear_icon.png

Realmac Software and Impending used Macworld | iWorld to announce their new to do app for the iPhone. Impending is a new studio formed by Phill Ryu and David Lanham. Ryu is best known for his work on MacHeist, which MacRumors has partnered with in the past.

The app is called Clear and is a minimalist take on the to do / list manager app, focusing on simple gestures to manage all elements of the list:

The app has not yet launched but will be coming in the next couple of weeks. It will be a free download for the basic app with in-app purchases for color themes and the ability to have multiple lists.

WDC MyBook Thunderbolt Duo

At least one new Thunderbolt product has been announced. Western Digital announced that they would be showing off their MyBook Thunderbolt Duo drive system at Macworld. The new drives will presumably be similar to their existing MyBook product line. Pricing and availability has not yet been announced.

We'll have more from Macworld | iWorld over the next few days.

Article Link: Macworld 2012: 'Clear' To Do App for iOS, WDC MyBook Thunderbolt Duo

5H3PH3RD

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Anything to do with Ryu I'll skip.... Plus im getting sick of in app purchases!

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Wow that looks pretty awesome actually. I love the simplicity. Only thing I don't like is the icon...

It even seems to be somewhat in the vein of Windows Mobile Metro 7 Phone. Which is not a bad thing—I like the look of both.

bpfesq

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2010
Omnipresent
Looks good to me! Awesome if it also had notification reminders?

Bingo. It looks like a slick interface, but lacks a TON of features. I just started using Errands and while it too is a bit flawed (needs a few extra features/tweaks), it looks FAR better than "Clear".

wrpercival

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2012
Siri Compatible?

I frequently enter reminders or tasks via Siri. Does anyone know if this is compatible with it?

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
I will never get another Western Digital hard drive again. I remember when they used to be good, high end drives back in the old days. Now they are complete crap. I bought a 1.5TB WD "book" drive last year, it's the worst I have ever owned. Dog-slow, loud, and flakey. Wouldn't work as an AirDisk, and it somehow causes my iMac to become unbootable when it sleeps. I have to actually remove the power cord and replace it before it will reboot (holding the power key gets disabled).

Last edited:

sionharris

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2006
Looks pretty nifty, but does anyone else hate in-app purchases? I'm sure sometimes they make sense but I just feel like I'm being screwed. I'd rather pay 70-80% of the cost of having all the extra features for a fully-featured app from the beginning. I would be far more inclined to trust the developer.

Last edited:

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

sionharris said:
Looks pretty nifty, but does anyone else hate in-app purchases? I'm sure sometimes they make sense but I get the feeling someone is trying to squeeze every penny out of me, hoping I just keep spending. I'd rather pay 70-80% of the cost of all the extra features to have a fully-featured app from the beginning, even if I don't use all the extra features. I would be far more inclined to trust the developer.

People complain either way. In app purchases got a bad name because of its aggressive use in games with consumable in app purchases. But if an app comes out with the cost up front then people complain about no demo.

For a productivity app, it's closer to a demo + buy full version.

arn

Tinyluph

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2011
I think those sound effects are the sole reason I would never use this app.

Apps really need to take a queue from Tweetbot as far as non-aggressive sounds go.

coder12

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2010
If Clear syncs with iCloud ... I'll use it all the time! Does anyone know if it syncs?

pmz

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2009
NJ
So, not another to-do app eye roll, and, yet another thunderbolt product that isn't actually priced or available.

Interesting, thanks. :rolleyes:

----------

Great. Another vaporware Thunderbolt product.

My thoughts exactly.

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
I will never get another Western Digital hard drive again. I remember when they used to be good, high end drives back in the old days. Now they are complete crap. I bought a 1.5TB WD "book" drive last year, it's the worst I have ever owned. Dog-slow, loud, and flakey. Wouldn't work as an AirDisk, and it somehow causes my iMac to become unbootable when it sleeps. I have to actually remove the power cord and replace it before it will reboot (holding the power key gets disabled).

My problem is the Crapware that it tries to get you to install when I plug it in. I had to download a program just to turn off the icon changes, the firmware based extra partition it automatically mounted, and other junk programs it tries to install.

The only external drive made by WD I would recommend is the essentials brand, as they are the only one without the extra junk.

brettr

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2010
What is this - the 1 billionth ToDo app? Don't we already have this for free in iOS. FAIL!!!

Did these guys have to pay macrumors for the promotion?

CTYankee

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2002
Great, someone from someone at MacHeist. That means it will come with all kinds of promises of future enhancements, and maybe actually deliver on them in a few years (i.e. all the free updates to the next version, beta previews, etc).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.