Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JoseIP

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 27, 2012
I have updated my iPhone 4 (GSM) to iOS 5.0.1 with untethered jailbreak using redsn0w.

I didn't unlock because I'm still in contract with the original carrier (Vodafone, here in Spain). I had previously jailbroken (but not unlocked) my phone.

Now the phone is jailbroken in 5.0.1 but it says constantly No Service, the name of the carrier does not appear in "Settings", and "My Number" appears as "unknown".

So I can't use my phone! Please let me know what I should try. My modem firmware, if that's of any use, is 04.11.08.

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
First, make sure the sim works by trying it on another phone.
If it's not the sim, setup as new and redo the jb.

Last edited:

JoseIP

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 27, 2012
First, make sure the sim works by trying it another phone.

I'm at home now, when my girlfriend gets back I'll try on her iPhone.

----------

Also try popping the Sim back out and back in and resetting the Network. are you using redsn0w 0.9.10b4 the latest one?

OK I've tried popped up the Sim out and back, and also resetting the Network... but it still says no service.

Yes I did use the latest redsn0w 0.9.10b4.

Ksizzle9

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

I've not fooled with a GSM iPhone in a couple of years, well I guess a year. But, I don't see how the jailbreak could affect the BB or make the phone day no service. I've still got my old 3Gs and I've jb'd it and flashed 100 different firmwares on it and never had that except for occasionally but that is due to the iPad baseband. I would take the above posters advice and restore the phone, then re-JB. I don't see why that wouldnt fix it.

JoseIP

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 27, 2012
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

I've not fooled with a GSM iPhone in a couple of years, well I guess a year. But, I don't see how the jailbreak could affect the BB or make the phone day no service. I've still got my old 3Gs and I've jb'd it and flashed 100 different firmwares on it and never had that except for occasionally but that is due to the iPad baseband. I would take the above posters advice and restore the phone, then re-JB. I don't see why that wouldnt fix it.

Thanks to you all for the help. When you say restore the phone, what kind of restore do you have in mind: do I need to restore to 5.0.1 or to an earlier OS? I presume I would have to do that from iTunes (option + "restore"), manually selecting the ipsw, right?

robdam1001

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2008
Thanks to you all for the help. When you say restore the phone, what kind of restore do you have in mind: do I need to restore to 5.0.1 or to an earlier OS? I presume I would have to do that from iTunes (option + "restore"), manually selecting the ipsw, right?

Correct I'd recommend setting up as new using d/l'ed IPSW, jb if you want to or not, then restore from backup.

JoseIP

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 27, 2012
Correct I'd recommend setting up as new using d/l'ed IPSW, jb if you want to or not, then restore from backup.

OK I want to be sure I understand everything right. Let me know if this is what I should do:

1/ restore in iTunes using a downloaded 5.0.1 IPSW
2/ after it's restored: on the iPhone's "Set Up iPhone" page, check "Set up as new Iphone"
3/ after that, jailbreak using redsn0w

...is that correct so far?

And then how do I restore from backup? From the iPhone's "Set Up iPhone" page or from iTunes?

robdam1001

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2008
OK I want to be sure I understand everything right. Let me know if this is what I should do:

1/ restore in iTunes using a downloaded 5.0.1 IPSW
2/ after it's restored: on the iPhone's "Set Up iPhone" page, check "Set up as new Iphone"
3/ after that, jailbreak using redsn0w

...is that correct so far?

And then how do I restore from backup? From the iPhone's "Set Up iPhone" page or from iTunes?

1-3 are correct. After you jb, connect via iTunes, right click on your iPhone icon in left hand pane, restore from backup.

JoseIP

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 27, 2012
^^ Thanks! The only problem is that the "restore" button in iTunes doesn't appear highlighted, so I can't click on it. It's written "restore" in light gray whereas yesterday it was written in black (it was working yesterday when I jailbroke my phone). Does anyone know why that is?

By the way, I've been able to test my SIM card, it works fine on another phone, that's why I'm restoring.

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
Probably because its sees the phone as completely new and up to date without any backups present.

That happens if you do restore and immediately jailbrak afterwards, somehow it chances the way itunes sees your phone.

A solution might be to restore, than select to put you backup back from itunes, this wil make it "your" phone again. After that JB with redsn0w.

JoseIP

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 27, 2012
I have just installed tinyumbrella and I've used it put the phone in recovery mode, this way the "restore" button reappears in iTunes.

So I tried to restore with a downloaded IPSW... but it won't restore, after a while I get a (21) error message. Any idea what I should do?

JoseIP

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 27, 2012
Guys, I managed to make it work!!!!

I had to quit tinyumbrella to be able to restore.

So now it's jailbroken and working fine (as a phone). Thanks so much to all of you who helped! I thought I was never gonna see the end of it, but in the end I'm happy it turned out well. :)

Nepal

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2012
Guys, I managed to make it work!!!!

I had to quit tinyumbrella to be able to restore.

So now it's jailbroken and working fine (as a phone). Thanks so much to all of you who helped! I thought I was never gonna see the end of it, but in the end I'm happy it turned out well. :)

i am facing same problem ...please share me how u fix ur iphone???

stardemos

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2013
I just intall the 6.1.3 on iphone 4. Instaled cidya, ultrasnow and semitether. Put my sim in and no service. The pgone was locked to another contry... Unknown contry
I live in portugal
----------
Model mc603j/a

Baseband 04.12.05

Last edited:

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
I just intall the 6.1.3 on iphone 4. Instaled cidya, ultrasnow and semitether. Put my sim in and no service. The pgone was locked to another contry... Unknown contry

----------

Baseband 04.12.05

I'm not too sure what the thread is about but according to the ultrasn0w page, that baseband isn't supported

Did you restore your iphone 4 to iOS 6.1.3 using a no baseband custom firmware?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 271

stardemos

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2013
My bad... I'vr restored directly from apple.... It's possible to downgrade baseband?? How??

stardemos

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2013
ok...
I have an expensive and useless ipod with the shape of an iphone4....
will search for a way to downgrade baseband... if exists I will post it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.