Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jan 30, 2012, 08:47 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple's Secrecy Extends to Putting New Employees on Fake Projects

In his new book, Inside Apple, Adam Lashinsky details the process undergone by new hires at Apple, noting that many of them are hired without knowing the exact project they are working on that they are frequently put through a testing period working on a different project in order to provide time to evaluate their trustworthiness.
Quote:
For new recruits, the secret keeping begins even before they learn which of these building they'll be working in. Despite surviving multiple rounds of rigorous interviews, many employees are hired into so-called dummy positions, roles that aren't explained in detail until after they join the company. The new hires have been welcomed but not yet indoctrinated and aren't necessarily to be trusted with information as sensitive as their own mission. "They wouldn't tell me what it was," remembered a former engineer who had been a graduate student before joining Apple. "I knew it was related to the iPod, but not what the job was." Others do know but won't say, a realization that hits the newbies on their first day of work at new-employee orientation.
As noted by Business Insider, a former Apple engineer confirmed that piece of information during the Q&A portion of Lashinsky's recent talk at LinkedIn (video clip via Fortune), going even farther to note that new hires are even sometimes placed on fake products during this probationary period.
Quote:
A friend of mine who's a senior engineer at Apple, he works on -- or did work on -- fake products I'm sure for the first part of his career, and interviewed for 9 months. It's intense.
Lashinsky's tidbit on new hires is just one facet of his lengthier coverage of Apple's strict secrecy, part of which has been republished for Fortune as a look into how Apple's organizational structure maintains the company's security. His full 50-minute LinkedIn talk is also available on YouTube.

Article Link: Apple's Secrecy Extends to Putting New Employees on Fake Projects
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2012, 08:48 AM   #2
Frosticus
macrumors 6502a

I really must read this book - read the first chapter as a sample on iBooks and still have a copy of the Jobs biography by Walter Isaacson to read too... Not enough hours in the day...!
Old Jan 30, 2012, 08:49 AM   #3
Kilamite
macrumors G3

I'd love to know what the fake projects were.

"Today guys, we're going to reinvent the toilet."
Kilamite is offline   42 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2012, 08:49 AM   #4
talkingfuture
macrumors 65816

Thats amazing, although a good way of evaluating their work without making mistakes on a 'live' project.
talkingfuture is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2012, 08:51 AM   #5
allpar
macrumors 6502

"Thats amazing, although a good way of evaluating their work without making mistakes on a 'live' project."

And yet, we have Lion and countless other examples of people making mistakes on "live" projects.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 08:54 AM   #6
dr Dunkel
macrumors regular

"The new hires have been welcomed but not yet indoctrinated and aren't necessarily to be trusted with information as sensitive as their own mission."

Quite telling.
iPod Classic
dr Dunkel is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2012, 08:55 AM   #7
ILikeTurtles
macrumors 6502

It must be a complete thrill and a total nightmare to work for Apple.
ILikeTurtles is offline   31 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2012, 08:56 AM   #8
DESNOS
Banned

Great way to test for leaks.
DESNOS is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2012, 08:57 AM   #9
Blakjack
macrumors 65816

I always thought about it, but now I am convinced that Apple is a branch of the CIA.

EDIT: I was only joking guys...Geeeez

Last edited by Blakjack; Jan 30, 2012 at 09:07 AM.
Blakjack is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2012, 08:58 AM   #10
carboncow
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by allpar View Post
"Thats amazing, although a good way of evaluating their work without making mistakes on a 'live' project."

And yet, we have Lion and countless other examples of people making mistakes on "live" projects.
please you act like a new OS never has an issue or more...Lion is far from Vista status and with the exception of a couple changes I didn't like and a handful of bugs...it's just fine, Leopard 2.0. Relax...
carboncow is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2012, 09:00 AM   #11
Andronicus
macrumors 6502a

Finally! A new post. I swear MacRumors just shuts down on the weekends. It's like a 9-5 job! Please post on the weekends, macrumors!

On topic: it's insane how secretive apple can be. Insanely awesome.
Andronicus is offline   22 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2012, 09:01 AM   #12
xlii
macrumors 68000

North Korea could learn from these guys. Fake products... I never would have guessed it.
xlii is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2012, 09:02 AM   #13
samcraig
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboncow View Post
please you act like a new OS never has an issue or more...Lion is far from Vista status and with the exception of a couple changes I didn't like and a handful of bugs...it's just fine, Leopard 2.0. Relax...
Who mentioned Vista or made any comparison? The OP just said that Lion is an example where mistakes were made.
samcraig is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2012, 09:02 AM   #14
rhinosrcool
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeTurtles View Post
Yeah, wow.
rhinosrcool is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2012, 09:03 AM   #15
allpar
macrumors 6502

I tried Lion. It's not a Leopard II. You want fundamental mistakes? Screwing around unnecessarily with the user interface counts to me. Hiding the part of the file dialogue that lets you see the list of hard drives counts.

Yeah, a few bugs always sneak through. These are not bugs, they're fundamental design errors. Macintouch has a huge discussion with both sides chiming in, and I really don't think the "get over it" side has much to go on.

Just because Microsoft makes mistakes, doesn't mean Apple doesn't. That's like claiming I should love Adobe customer service because it's slightly better than Intuit's.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 09:04 AM   #16
jamesryanbell
macrumors 68020

Quote:
That's pretty much exactly what I thought when I saw the vid.
jamesryanbell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2012, 09:05 AM   #17
jadot
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andronicus View Post
Finally! A new post. I swear MacRumors just shuts down on the weekends. It's like a 9-5 job! Please post on the weekends, macrumors!
You should cut down, and then slowly try to re-integrate into the real world.
This story satisfied your 'need' for something (anything) Apple related?
Wow.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 09:08 AM   #18
HangmanSwingset
macrumors regular

"Alright newbie, we need you to go to the store and buy some elbow grease and headlight fluid."

Last edited by HangmanSwingset; Jan 30, 2012 at 09:15 AM.
HangmanSwingset is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2012, 09:08 AM   #19
rwilliams
macrumors 68030

Quote:
My thoughts exactly. It seems like the shelf life for employees would be short because many people couldn't handle the constant paranoia and hassle of working at Apple (though one can understand WHY the company is like that). And interviewing for 9 months? There's no job in the world that I want that badly.

Quote:
If I had to take a wild guess, I'd say that the people running this site like to have a real life on the weekend and do things other than post to a website. Crazy, I know.
rwilliams is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2012, 09:10 AM   #20
whooleytoo
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to whooleytoo
It's all rather moot. As soon as you're relying on external companies for components - or in particular - for the entire manufacturing, assembly & packaging process; you completely lose control of product secrecy.

And with the volumes that Apple needs in advance of the product launch; and the time the manufacturers need to manufacture those units; we're not just talking about handing designs to external manufacturers in the last couple of weeks of a project, but rather many months ahead of the launch.

How often has Apple recently launched a product that was a complete surprise to all observers? Exactly.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 09:16 AM   #21
nick_elt
macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andronicus

On topic: it's insane how secretive apple can be. Insanely awesome.
What news is going to come out on the weekend? Most of their sources will be 9-5. Ever thought about that?
Old Jan 30, 2012, 09:19 AM   #22
GenesisST
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Some people have lives, you know!
Old Jan 30, 2012, 09:20 AM   #23
koobcamuk
macrumors 68040

I wish "new employees" rather than "new hires" was used.
koobcamuk is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2012, 09:21 AM   #24
mave1969
macrumors newbie

Asteroid?

Isn't it pretty much accepted that the "Asteroid" Garage Band audio breakout box that brought down Think Secret was, in fact, such a fake project designed to catch leaks?

Last edited by mave1969; Jan 30, 2012 at 11:32 AM.
mave1969 is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2012, 09:21 AM   #25
KdParker
macrumors 68040

This is not surprising for anyone that has worked as a developer on high profile initiatives.
KdParker is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion