Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gatd

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2008
On the plus side, the speech recognition software is spot on. I mean it is perfect.

I agree better than siri!!!

gatd

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2008
don't know but on a 3gs compared to siri on 4s its spot on for understanding what I say

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
Bought it yesterday, every time i tried it, it failed due to servers being overloaded.

cere

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2008
Success rate for me has been about 1 in 30. I had a batch of requests that worked last night, but they weren't always immediate. A couple times I had gone into another app after the failure message and when I returned to Evi it spoke the answer to the last question I asked. Unfortunately one of those questions was "what time is it" and the answer was 20 minutes off. Weather/forecast queries actually almost seemed to worked, at least the returned a specific response of something like "Weather and forecast support is coming soon, try again next week".

They need to get their servers scaled up. The Nuance side, of speech recognition, seems to be working fine. The other end of interpreting and answering seems DOA.

SimonMW

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2008
So far Evi has been far faster than Siri at interpreting my voice.

I have had busy messages from Siri as well quite a few times, so Evi isn't alone with this issue. But as others have said Siri is a beta too. Also as others have mentioned Siri has limited usefulness outside the US. Hopefully that will be rectified soon, but I'm not going to hold my breath. Apple have only just introduced HD films on iTunes for the UK!

Pizzaboy13

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2012
Siri

Guys, if I'm nt mistaking, Siri is still a Beta version. I'm sure she'll grow up to Evi and maybe even mature more after it gets out of beta phase ........

What do you think?

I surely hope that Siri is brought out of beta when the ipad 3 comes out.

motoleo

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2012
Evi is actually better than Siri I think.

Half of the answers I get back from Siri are...

"I don't know about that."

"I can't answer that."

"I don't know what you mean by."

Evi will be up and running soon. It's been working for me though.

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
Well after downloading the eve app last week and finding every answer to be my servers are down this week it looks like they have been working overtime and fixed this.

Ive asked evi 20 questions and have been given a good answer every time.

I wonder if those early adopters who kicked off and deleted it will now re download this useful app !!

----------

Has anyone worked out how to delete your history on evi !

My questions and answers are starting to add up a tad now !!

RichardBeer

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2009
England
Competition, excellent! I am surprised that Apple haven't monopolised the crap out of it, so it's great to see the technology being made available to other devices.

motoleo

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2012
[/COLOR]Has anyone worked out how to delete your history on evi !

My questions and answers are starting to add up a tad now !!

Just delete and reinstall.

====

I don't want to just ask them questions, I want to have a conversation.

I asked Evi if she was a spy. I asked her if she was evil, or if she was a celebrity or a prophet.

I asked her if she lies. Or what came first the chicken or the egg.

She gave all great answers. Personable and interesting.

She says she's capable of about 13 intransitive actions. She knows what she looks like, she knows what she can and can't do. She reacts to what you say better than Siri. She's very smart and very nice.

But the funniest of all, I asked her- who lives in a pineapple under the sea.

For me, she's better than Siri. Siri's mean. And stern. And not too bright.

The more life-like they are the better they will be received. I was texting Evi all day today. Most personable AI FTW!

She does have alot to say about Siri though. I like that.

Last edited:

cere

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2008
Maybe future updates will increase its usefulness.
I am hopeful for this, but it will be almost 100% in Apple's control as to how useful any of these other apps can become. Outside of searching or info gathering, there is not much that is useful that they can accomplish on iOS. For any voice system to be really functional, it will need access to OS services. This would be necessary for Evi (or others) to, for instance, launch other apps and services to send mail, create calendar events, add contacts, launch user specified apps like GPS apps and pass in addresses. Apple would have to extend their current public API to allow developers this sort of access, yet do it in a way that does not compromise the sandboxing of apps and the security that provides.

I am not sure how likely the necessary changes from Apple are, but I am hopeful. Otherwise Evi and other can never attain the utility that Siri could have. Maybe that is reason enough for them not to extend the API.

markcres

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2006
UK
Just goes to show how Apple sparks a revolution once again.

Speech recognition software has existed since the 90s...this is nothing new...certainly not a 'revolution' or 'awesome' or any other <insert hyperbole comment here> !

----------

Just delete and reinstall.

====

I don't want to just ask them questions, I want to have a conversation.

I asked Evi if she was a spy. I asked her if she was evil, or if she was a celebrity or a prophet.

I asked her if she lies. Or what came first the chicken or the egg.

She gave all great answers. Personable and interesting.

She says she's capable of about 13 intransitive actions. She knows what she looks like, she knows what she can and can't do. She reacts to what you say better than Siri. She's very smart and very nice.

But the funniest of all, I asked her- who lives in a pineapple under the sea.

For me, she's better than Siri. Siri's mean. And stern. And not too bright.

The more life-like they are the better they will be received. I was texting Evi all day today. Most personable AI FTW!

She does have alot to say about Siri though. I like that.

Dude...get a girlfriend...seriously !

iansilv

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2007
I asked it the distance from Los Angeles to Seattle. I just spoke the words, "What is the distance from Los Angeles to Seattle." I spoke clearly, I do not have an accent, and this awesome screen is what I got:

Attachments

• 420031_10150583616873234_817798233_9061711_795236870_n.jpg
    420031_10150583616873234_817798233_9061711_795236870_n.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 101

kicko

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2008
I asked it the distance from Los Angeles to Seattle. I just spoke the words, "What is the distance from Los Angeles to Seattle." I spoke clearly, I do not have an accent, and this awesome screen is what I got:

to be fair look at the question "whats the difference between whats the distance from LA to seattle" of course its a odd answer, the question doesnt even make sense. MAybe it misfired in speech detection but i have had pretty good luck.

iansilv

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2007
to be fair look at the question "whats the difference between whats the distance from LA to seattle" of course its a odd answer, the question doesnt even make sense. MAybe it misfired in speech detection but i have had pretty good luck.

That's my point- I never said the words "between," "difference," etc. I just spoke the words I quoted.

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
I'm from the uk.

I asked your question and it heard my words and gave me

1550 kilometres or 960 miles.

Works for me !

Have you tried Siri yet. Even she gets the question asked wrong or does not understand.

kicko

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2008
That's my point- I never said the words "between," "difference," etc. I just spoke the words I quoted.

I have used it and not have anything like that happen. Try it over and over with the same question, or others on here can try the same question and see their results. I think it was just a glitch

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.