Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

voonyx

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2011
It's called logic. Some people understand the concept. I'm sure you can find a good book on it at Amazon or (if you want to spend more) the iBooks store.

Yes very logical. In a market analysis about products that are PCs in every sense of the word, you guys think fridges and toasters should be included. Why don't we just lump every product ever made together? I mean, all of them have to have something in common. I thought I'd heard it all, but the Apple detractors here never cease to amaze me.

uknowimright

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2011
the person that still "owns" an android device which he continually for months says is terrible and a rip off of the iphone, talking about logical, lol

dashiel

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2003
It's called logic. Some people understand the concept. I'm sure you can find a good book on it at Amazon or (if you want to spend more) the iBooks store.

----------

Well said.

I have no problem calling the iPad a PC. But then you also have to call all smart phones PCs, and Android tablets, and yes, web-enabled televisions and game consoles. After all, it's possible to do the kinds of things most *consumers* need computers for these days on all of them.

Hmmm have you actually taken a course in logic, if so you’d recognize that’s a rather weak inductive argument.

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
I have no problem calling the iPad a PC. But then you also have to call all smart phones PCs, and Android tablets, and yes, web-enabled televisions and game consoles. After all, it's possible to do the kinds of things most *consumers* need computers for these days on all of them.

Well the line between everything is blurring...and yes, many of those devices also should be called a PC.

The real distinction I guess is where you put the category of work being done.

Smart phones are probably what's considered to me a communication/consumption device for email, voice, social and so on along with what I call average user gaming.

Tablets are more of a communication/consumption/mid level work device that can do all of the above, but in a larger form factor which promotes more office type of tasks like word processing, presentations, spreadsheets and so on along with other customizable apps.

You can do those on both a smart phone and tablet but really at that point it's a matter of choice in size...just like in many things.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
so if something doesnt compete with something it isnt the same thing?

Look who's paying for these Canalys reports. That will tell you who cares about whether it's the same thing or not.

It's stores who stock both iPads and notebook PCs in the same area and want to plan for next years inventory payables and retail floor space. It companies who manufacture components and other stuff related to making PCs and tablets and accessories, who need to plan for the next few years of investments in new factories. It's software companies who have to decide how many developers to hire for next years hot app and its support.

What this definition is saying is that big paying companies are starting to consider this to be the same bucket of money for one big product category, with the sub-categories competing within that bigger bucket.

The people deciding between refrigerators and laptops, and joe PC gamer, aren't paying for Canalys reports. Thus, nobody at Canalys cares if those types can't tell their bottom end from a PC.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Change is in the air, folks. And it's got an Apple logo on it. Again.

Canalys and DisplaySearch already count the iPad in PC numbers. Only a matter of time before Gartner, IDC and the rest do the same.

As they should. The iPad IS a PC. With the "cut the cord" feature not needing another computer to activate the iPad, it became a PC.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
As they should. The iPad IS a PC. With the "cut the cord" feature not needing another computer to activate the iPad, it became a PC.

I think you'll find plenty of people who believed it was a PC before iOS 5.0. Was "cutting the cord" the only differentiator. I don't think so.

Mainsail

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
It's about choices

For work, most folks are stuck with whatever computer is provided by their IT department. For home use, many people can easily get by with just an iPad. Two years ago, we had no choice. Now we do. Which explains why this type of market study is useful. Folks might forgo the purchase of a desktop and purchase an iPad as a more suitable portable computing solution for email, web, reading, photos, tracking finances and the like. A perfect example might be a couple, who own a laptop and want another device so they don't have to share the same computer. A couple of years ago, they would have to buy another laptop or netbook. Now they have a choice.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
My narrow view?

You are trying to define/redefine/exlude from the definition of a "PC" by giving 1 minute fact/point (your #2 point). Good luck with that. Your #1 point regarding what platform/cpu the application was compiled on is ludicrous.

You have absolutely no clue how computers (personal or otherwise) work. Take a few years and learn by reading and doing.

HAHAHA! You have no idea what you are talking about. I have been writing embedded software in the Aerospace and automotive industries for the past 26 years. I have worked on the international space station project, commercial, commuter and Military aviation projects as well as handsfree technology for automobiles. I have used SBC for embedded code, miniframes, mainframes and PCs. I am versed in writing code that runs on multiple processors and OSes including Windows and several flavors of UNIX. So you are right I have no clue how a computer works :rolleyes:

You have a antiquated and narrow view of what a computer is.

Last edited:

redkamel

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2006
I'd be pooping my pants if I was an PC manufacturer besides Apple.

Regarding "is the tablet a PC?". I understand that for a LOT of people, they use their computer for work. To make things, write things, and do complicated stuff; spreadsheet management, graphics, research etc etc. Many of them do their work on their own computer, and many do it on a work computer and have a second computer at home.

Some of them can get by on just their computer at work. Even more people do not do ANY computer work. There are a lot of people who don't need a full computer, because their full sized personal computer, (what is traditionally defined as a PC), is used for the following: news, facebook, music, pictures, games, personal email. That's it. And an ipad does all of that, and does it well.

I know firefighters. They use just an ipad and an iphone for their computers. My friend is an engineer. He does all his work AT work on a workstation. He does none at home.His laptop broke; he is ipad only now; personal stuff that needs a big screen happens at work. My mom and my aunt are stay at home moms. They do not use their husbands desktops at home, they use their ipads. And their husbands do all their work at work, but feel no need to upgrade now since their desktops work. But my dad just bought an ipad...and now the desktop is only for home video editing.

The ipad is not going to replace the traditional PC completely. But it is going to fulfill the needs people thought they needed a full PC for. For 1/2 the cost of a macbook, and the same as decent Windows laptop/PC off the shelf, the ipad offers a lot of the same functionality with better battery life, built in program, video, and music acquisition, printing and email and video and cloud photo and automatic phone syncing etc etc...and it is all wireless, easy to use/learn and essentially virus free.

Every stay at home mom, some kids with a computer lab at school, every grandma, grandpa, janitor, cop, firefighter, secretary, gardener, waiter, waitress, cashier etc etc...does not require a full size PC for their essential online daily life.

Many, including myself, got tired of constantly upgrading, managing stuff, and optomizing. I wanted to zen my computer life. Less function, more ease. More doing, less checking/fixing. I went from PC to mac (2002). I went from a MBP to a work-only imac and MBA (2010). Now I do all my work on a MBA with some on my friends computer (2011). next time I upgrade, I will be able to do ALL of my work on my MBA. This was unthinkable to me as late as 2 years ago.

A full home desktop rig is really needed only for games, and intensive or complicated work at home. Of course its also needed for school and term papers but Apple clearly has long term plans for that.

What percent of the PC market is the above? I really don't know. But I think we are going to find out. Computers have passed the 80/20 rule...you can now get 80% of you digital life done with 20% of the effort/cost. To get that last 20% is going to cost another 80% of effort/cost. And Apple is the one making it possible. The traditional PC market is possibly about to shrink to mostly professionals and offices.

That is why I'd be pooping my pants if I was an PC manufacturer besides Apple.

kingsmuse

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2010
Personal Computer=PC

And there is no better PC(Personal Computer) than the iPad.

Deal with it.

I agree an iPad is PC if you`re making the claim that it`s more capable/versatile (better) than my MBP you`re way off base.

Tablets will never replace an actual working computer.
They have far too many limitations by definition.

juliusaugustus

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2011
What is going on here? Waiting for the Android folks to offer explanations. This can't be true. Windows and Android are not bags of malware, have stable and robust OS, and perfect in design. Anyone? Hello? :rolleyes:

Edit: Spoke too soon. Looks like they are already trickling in to correct us Apple folks on our misunderstanding of Apple's superior products and success.

I never had problems with malware on my device but whatever. I think it is great that Applw is successful doesn't mean Apple is the only successdul company, success is measured differently by everyone.
Sent from my HTC Flyer

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
Tablets will never replace an actual working computer. They have far too many limitations by definition.

Tablets such as the iPad are actual working computers. Other personal computers have extra capabilities that many personal computer users do not need. Thus the "limitations" of an iPad reduce cost, size and complexity of use, making them better personal computers for many users (millions of them). Not every personal computer has to have every feature that every single user might want.

You probably don't buy a laptop PC with a punched card reader. Why did you buy a product with such a big limitation? Probably because you don't need a punched card reader (which used to come with most computers sold at one time).

nokuchikushi

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2012
iPad = PC

I think if this article was about a Windows Slate, then all the naysayers would be in agreement that that particular tablet was a PC. My guess is that those people don't even consider a Mac a Personal Computer because they do not consider anything that is not running Windows to be a PC. Too bad, it's their loss.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
It’s interesting and useful to look at old-style PCs in isolation.

It’s also interesting to look at what’s already starting to replace them: iPads in isolation.

And it’s interesting to look at them as one combined market, too—since the two types of product ARE in competition for many of the same buyers and uses.

Why would people limit themselves to one kind of analysis? Do they just pick the kind that shows data they like better, and deny all the other useful ways of examining the market?

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
It’s interesting and useful to look at old-style PCs in isolation.

It’s also interesting to look at what’s already starting to replace them: iPads in isolation.

And it’s interesting to look at them as one combined market, too—since the two types of product ARE in competition for many of the same buyers and uses.

Why would people limit themselves to one kind of analysis? Do they just pick the kind that shows data they like better, and deny all the other useful ways of examining the market?

Problems with abstract thinking, failure to look at the big picture, etc.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
Let's all take a moment of silence to remember those at Foxconn who have made this possible that are no longer with us. :apple:

May they rest in peace, but enough of that already. Show me ONE PC manufacturer who does not outsource manufacturing to China or India or Brazil? Of us it's typical; we love judging others and the evil corporations (to feel better about ourselves?), yet we scan the web to get a coupon to get the cheapest price on the latest shiny new gadget...

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
Let's all take a moment of silence to remember those at Foxconn who have made this possible that are no longer with us.

The current world death rate for people not working at Foxconn is over 100 humans per minute. Don't you want to take moments of silence for them as well?

Did you eat today? Do you know the current worldwide fatality rate for agriculturally related accidents? Why single out iProducts and Foxconn?

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
1. iPad is not the PC.

2. Apple is already doing very well in the PC market, even without the help of the numbers of iPad.

3. Apple owns the iPad (tablet......?) market. With no direct competitors yet.

DesignerOnMac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2007
Yes. It's a computer and quite personal.
Just because it doesn't fit the traditional model doesn't change anything.

The Television of the 1950s is far different than the smart TV of today. But they are still televisions.

Telephones used to have a rotary dial, plug into a wall and weigh 5 Lbs. Does that mean that your smartphone is no longer a telephone?

PC abbreviation/personal computer

Personal computer, noun
A microcomputer* designed for use by one person at a time.

*Microcomputer, noun A small computer that contains a microprocessor as its central processor.

In the debate as to whether an iPad is a PC, by definition it is. It isn't about the software.

dethmaShine

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2010
Into the lungs of Hell
A computer to me is a device that allows you to compute extensive calculations and increase work efficiency for tasks.

My computer is used mainly for typing and doing analysis alongside and running program's like solid works. Both require extensive screen space, plenty of fine control along with space to fit tasks from basic formatting to providing options for much more complex operations, and the engineering stuff requires a lot of power (yes I know the iPad will get more and more powerful but so do programs get more and more demanding)

All these tasks are much better suited to a large desktop (my 27" iMac has aided my final year project so much by being able to have word, excel and a web page open all alongside each other)

Performing any of these tasks on an iPad would be a nightmare. iPads are (as apple has always said) media consumption devices. At this they are perfect. I know because I'm typing on one now. The fact that I can pick it up and take it anywhere no problem at all on a screen big enough to consume most info that I'm likely to need on the go comfortably means its the perfect portable companion. I'm glad it destroyed the netbook, because I've never used a netbook that wasn't just a compromised crap laptop. Apple instead of just trying to. Rehash a laptop took the idea of how to make a small portable media consumption device and designed it frothe ground up to be ideal for that task.

The iPad is amazing at what it does. But it does not do what a computer is properly intended to do and to me it will never replace a proper computer. I think theyre brilliant, but if I was advising someone to get just one device I'd say get a proper computer, if they already have a desktop and need something more portable, an iPad is the perfect companion over a more expensive laptop unless the extra power is TRUELY needed.

'The iPad is amazing at what it does. But it does not do what a computer is properly intended'

because?

'A computer to me is a device that allows you to compute extensive calculations and increase work efficiency for tasks.'

'My computer is used mainly for typing and doing analysis alongside and running program's like solid works.'

'All these tasks are much better suited to a large desktop (my 27" iMac has aided my final year project so much by being able to have word, excel and a web page open all alongside each other)'

Matching all those definitions, a 13" notebook is also not a computer for you?

As often as I say, iPad is definitely a computer. It fits into the category of –

- portable
- highly programmable
- efficient and extensive
- has sufficient onboard memory to host OS and applications
- provides enough screen estate for the best of the tasks

The only way it cannot be a computer is by adding a specification chart of what it can do and what it cannot.

Even the first Macintosh was called a 'Personal Computer' when it could not do 1/100th of the things, the newest iPad can. It just represents the psychological view of a person who is really more of a geek and has some particular work which he cannot do on an iPad. Simple.

According to your definition, if I design parallel processors, a mac pro is also not a computer.

Last edited:

risc

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
scaled.php

I think people have forgotten how far we've come... If the Altair is a PC, why not the iPad? :p

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
It doesn't matter *what else* was or is a PC by comparison, since the metrics have changed. And they aren't really based on what else is also a computer.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
I think people have forgotten how far we've come... If the Altair is a PC, why not the iPad? :p

I have no issue calling an iPad a pc. I just don't see how people then claim an iPhone isn't one as I know I sure treat mine as one

Just goes to show that "metrics" are used to bring a point across and these metrics can be quite subjective depending on what one is trying to convey

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.