Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

risc

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
I have no issue calling an iPad a pc. I just don't see how people then claim an iPhone isn't one as I know I sure treat mine as one

I agree completely. I actually use my iPhone/iPad more than my MacBook Air, or my Windows PC.

----------

Just goes to show that "metrics" are used to bring a point across and these metrics can be quite subjective depending on what one is trying to convey

I think people just like arguing on line. Maybe we need an app for that. ;)

godostoyke

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2010
A computer to me is a device that allows you to compute extensive calculations and increase work efficiency for tasks.

But it does not do what a computer is properly intended to do and to me it will never replace a proper computer.

You make some good points, Tommy.

However, not everyone is an engineer. Most heavy-duty engineering software does not run on netbooks (and nobody says a netbook is not a PC). In fact, it can be argued that most consumer PCs are not fast enough to run top-end engineering software.

Also, desktop PCs are unable to do many things an iPad can do, including going along on meetings for note taking, web browsing in bed, running on battery for long periods of time, being useful for taking videos and photos, GPS and navigation, baby-sitter, portable bird guide with songs, tea timer in the kitchen - the list goes on. So, the definition of what a PC is and "what it can do" (or cannot) could be different for different people.

The fact that the iPad is replacing netbooks (a "PC") indicates that an increasing number of people is considering an iPad as a kind of PC. Based on sales numbers, I think we have to change our definition of what a PC is.

Mainsail

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
I have no issue calling an iPad a pc. I just don't see how people then claim an iPhone isn't one as I know I sure treat mine as one

Just goes to show that "metrics" are used to bring a point across and these metrics can be quite subjective depending on what one is trying to convey

I think the point of a market analysis is to compare sales of competing products. While some folks might opt for an iPad rather than a laptop, people rarely trade-off a phone for a computer. I am not saying that a smartphone doesn't do some of the same things. They are just not commonly viewed as substitutes when making a purchase.

I could see someone saying "gee, I went to buy a laptop, but ended up with an iPad instead.". Less likely "I went to buy a laptop and bought a phone instead."

Yamcha

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2008
I've personally never really considered tablets as being real PC's.. I say that because they still have many limitations.. And honestly there is no way I could live without the full functionality of a real operating system such as Mac OS or Windows..

So yup I personally don't consider any tablet a PC.. But thats just how I see it..

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
If someone says "I want to buy a computer."

Do you really think that he wants to buy an iPad?

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011

Not yet ... but I think it will. It's just a matter of habit and time will take care of the rest.

Now consider this, what comes to your mind the very instant time you hear "television" today? flatscreen plasma/led? or huge chunk CRT?
Or "music album" word? Is it a vinyl? Walkman? Cassettes? or even Audio CD? You sure it's not the 256kbps MP3s from iTunes?
And to answer your own question, what do you think when you hear "computer"?

To me personally, first thing comes to mind is no longer huge chunk big desktop with LED blinks and multiple monitors, no it's not. It already become a laptop, or at least something like iMac.
So, I don't think it's being too much if sometime in the future, something like iPad will become a common the norm, replacing one small compact box we call "laptop" today

jameslmoser

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
You do recall that Microsoft and partners have tried for the last decade to sell "a tablet that looks nice and perform(s) reasonably well?"

Many people conveniently forget that Apple didn't create a new market, they just created a device that fulfilled the nascent market requirements.

Microsoft has never made their OS run on ARM, or redo the interface to work with multititouch. Microsoft did make tablets, but didn't design an OS around their use. Now with the tech, market, and apple lighting a fire under their butt, they have something completely different.

I wouldn't bet against them this time. Not saying they will have a huge success, but I know a lot of people who are waiting to see what kind of Windows 8 tablets we will get. They also have lots of other things going for them too, like brining in Xbox and windows live services to it. They may or may not do it right, but still the possibilites are exciting.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley

It's not about what you or I think she will buy. It's about what some significant percentage of computer customers are actually doing. Market research companies have a lot more data than you do about what is actually going on in stores, and which way the trend line is heading.

Even Apple, with record laptop sales, is reporting that they are seeing some cannibalization of Mac sales due to iPad purchases.

mijail

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2010

I would ask, "a computer? what exactly for?"
And it's looking increasingly like a lot of answers would be conductive to "you know what? for that, you don't really need a normal computer... there are cheaper, simpler, more portable options".

MadJasper

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2012
yeah but the people who say it's not are applying their definition of a pc to it. Meaning it doesn't have usb so it's not. or a keyboard so it's not. what consumers are using it for, its function and the actual definition of what a pc is makes it a pc.

And people are saying it is are gerrymandering the definition of a PC to include the iPad while excluding other devices that are just as capable if not more. The iPad cannot stand alone as a PC to the vast majority of the people now matter how it is defined.

MadJasper

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2012
PC HARDWARE hasn't had Parallell or Serial Ports in decades...

Both my former Probook 6550 and my current 6560b have serial ports that I often use for Cisco configs. My Macbook Pro does not. Hoever, I have used a USB to Serial converter, but the Probook just works better.

Cheebo

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2012
The iPad cannot stand alone as a PC to the vast majority of the people now matter how it is defined.

Yes it can. What do the majority of the mass market consumers do with their computer? Use facebook/twitter, shop on Amazon, watch videos, browse the internet, check their e-mail, and play some games.

The iPad does all of that just fine.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
And people are saying it is are gerrymandering the definition of a PC to include the iPad while excluding other devices that are just as capable if not more.

Why do people keep posting the same question and ignore the answer that has been posted many, many times in this thread?

The iPad cannot stand alone as a PC to the vast majority of the people now matter how it is defined.

It's not about whether can stand alone as a replacement for a desktop or laptop for the vast majority. It's about whether it can replace a desktop or laptop for a significant part of the market. And second or third PCs are actually part of the market. It's not like they only count your primary computer in a market analysis.

fxtech

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2008
Yes it can. What do the majority of the mass market consumers do with their computer? Use facebook/twitter, shop on Amazon, watch videos, browse the internet, check their e-mail, and play some games.

The iPad does all of that just fine.

So does my Kindle Fire. Never really thought of it as a "PC" before... but ok I guess it is one!

Too bad I can't print to my network printer from either my iPad or my Kindle though. Something my laptop "PC" can do easily.

Cheebo

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2012
iPad has no problem with being set up to printers. I print from mine all the time.

voonyx

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2011
And people are saying it is are gerrymandering the definition of a PC to include the iPad while excluding other devices that are just as capable if not more. The iPad cannot stand alone as a PC to the vast majority of the people now matter how it is defined.

unfortunately the numbers don't agree with your made up statistic. the "traditional" pc industry as a whole declined if you don't include the ipad. with it it grew 16%. so it seems many people are in fact using it instead of a "traditional" PC and that number is only going up. you won't find any definition of "personal computer" that excludes the ipad and regardless consumers ARE very obviously choosing it over laptops and desktops.

the kindle is also a pc but it's not competing with oems who make the laptops and desktops hence the point of this MARKET analysis. people aren't buying kindles instead of laptops, they ARE buying ipads instead of them.

linux2mac

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2009
"City of Lakes", MN
unfortunately the numbers don't agree with your made up statistic. the "traditional" pc industry as a whole declined if you don't include the ipad. with it it grew 16%. so it seems many people are in fact using it instead of a "traditional" PC and that number is only going up. you won't find any definition of "personal computer" that excludes the ipad and regardless consumers ARE very obviously choosing it over laptops and desktops.

the kindle is also a pc but it's not competing with oems who make the laptops and desktops hence the point of this MARKET analysis. people aren't buying kindles instead of laptops, they ARE buying ipads instead of them.

I don't understand why so many anti-Apple/iPad folks are even arguing in this thread. Do they think the more they argue and call us Apple fanboys is going to reverse iPad sales, halt Apple's success, and make the iPad touch screen go haywire and freeze up like Droid devices? :rolleyes:

Hint: iPad is successful because it's the best tablet out there and the numbers prove that people are willing to spend more money on quality to buy an iPad and iOS devices than the third-rate garbage out there.

dgree03

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009

Proof?

I thought I already pointed out that just because the PC market was in a decline overall without iPad included, doesn't mean people are buying iPad's instead of laptops.

I don't see how you get that assumption out of those numbers?

If the iPad competes in this segment so would the kindle, galaxy tab, motorola tabs etc.

voonyx

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2011
Proof?

I thought I already pointed out that just because the PC market was in a decline overall without iPad included, doesn't mean people are buying iPad's instead of laptops.

I don't see how you get that assumption out of those numbers?

If the iPad competes in this segment so would the kindle, galaxy tab, motorola tabs etc.

LOL, so again the decline in laptop/desktop sales without the iPad included, means that the entire world just banded together in 4Q 2011 and said "we're not buying computers anymore"? and not because they were replacing it with something else?

I'm pretty sure my "assumption" is the logical one.

linux2mac

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2009
"City of Lakes", MN
Uh oh, I spoke too soon. Looks like Apple may not last too long atop that high perch. Some serious competition has put a target on Apple with the "Action Pad." So would that be the "aPad' or "A-Pad?" LOL!

Taiwan tablet ad misplays Steve Jobs halo effect
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17852_3-57369516-71/taiwan-tablet-ad-misplays-steve-jobs-halo-effect/

"Action Electronics, the maker of a seven-inch 1.2GHz Android 2.3.3 tablet dubbed the Action Pad, recently began airing a television commercial depicting a high-profile Apple product launch. It sports a Steve Jobs impersonator with angel wings and a halo, proclaiming the Action Pad “amazing”, which as you know was among Steve’s favorite adjectives to describe Apple’s latest gadget. “Finally, I can play with another pad”, the actor proclaims."

But, hey, nobody copies Apple, right?

voonyx

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2011
Uh oh, I spoke too soon. Looks like Apple may not last too long atop that high perch. Some serious competition has put a target on Apple with the "Action Pad." So would that be the "aPad' or "A-Pad?" LOL!

Taiwan tablet ad misplays Steve Jobs halo effect
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17852_3-57369516-71/taiwan-tablet-ad-misplays-steve-jobs-halo-effect/

"Action Electronics, the maker of a seven-inch 1.2GHz Android 2.3.3 tablet dubbed the Action Pad, recently began airing a television commercial depicting a high-profile Apple product launch. It sports a Steve Jobs impersonator with angel wings and a halo, proclaiming the Action Pad “amazing”, which as you know was among Steve’s favorite adjectives to describe Apple’s latest gadget. “Finally, I can play with another pad”, the actor proclaims."

But, hey, nobody copies Apple, right?

Expected response from detractors: "You can't patent a commercial!", or "I don't see any similarity", or "Toasters should be considered tablets too!"

linux2mac

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2009
"City of Lakes", MN
Expected response from detractors: "You can't patent a commercial!", or "I don't see any similarity", or "Toasters should be considered tablets too!"

In other words the same old anti-Apple/Steve Jobs "Song and Dance" played over and over and over and over and over here.

"Toasters should be considered tablets too!"

ROFLMAO! The stuff these guys (anti-iPad folks) come up with, hilarious.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.