Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

david_tupman-150x171.jpg

Apple's vice president for iPhone and iPod engineering David Tupman has left the company, according to 9to5Mac. While not a member of the senior executive team, Tupman spent a decade at Apple and has been considered to be one of the key iOS hardware executives reporting to senior vice president Bob Mansfield.
Weeks before the introduction of the first iPod, Apple hired Tupman, and he soon became Apple's vice president of iPod engineering.

He had a big hand in the development and success of every iPod released to date, and when it was time to build the iPhone, Tupman joined the team behind that product, too. As Apple shifted its engineering resources to its mobile line of products, Tupman was named Vice President of iPod and iPhone Engineering-- a major role at Apple. Besides playing a major part in growing Apple's mobile device business into one of the most successful businesses ever, Tupman has his name on at around 70 Apple technology patents, such as power and battery life management, noise-canceling ear buds, Apple's tiny iPhone power adapters, and mobile device interaction with accessories.
Tupman's future plans remain unknown, although we understand that he has been taking some personal time following his long term of service at Apple.

Apple is said to be searching internally for Tupman's replacement, but has apparently not yet named a successor.

Article Link: iPhone and iPod Engineering VP David Tupman Leaves Apple

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
While it's a bit concerning (and sad) to see him go, (and it's not clear exactly why he left Apple) I'm sure Apple can find someone else to fill his position. Sure nobody can be easily 'replaced' exactly.

But thank you David for the advancements on the iPod & iPhone! Wow has it really been that long since the first iPod... :eek:

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
Interesting. Why are these Apple employees leaving when they have such momentum going?

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
Interesting. Why are these Apple employees leaving when they have such momentum going?

Some would say "quit while you're ahead". Others would say "turnover happens". I really don't think there's anything to suggest a panic / abandon ship event.

porky

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2003
BELGIUM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

gmanist1000 said:

Money

porky

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2003
BELGIUM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

gmanist1000 said:

Money

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Nice to see macrumors burying this story.

I guess it's not as big as Patent lawsuit #1056 or a fast food place buying iPads.

He's key, but not Scott Forstall or Jony Ive key.

And he can also be replaced quite effectively by Director of iPod and iPhone Engineering Vic Alessi (who worked directly with Tupman), or even VP of iPhone and iPod Design Steve Zadesky.

In any case, Tupman likely left for a better offer elsewhere, or family reasons - who knows, but likely not because Apple is doomed or whatever, LOL. Apple's got the next 5 years in the bag, easily.

Last edited:

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
I spent 5 years working at a Fortune 500 company and then quit, couldn't stand it anymore. It actually was a good job, I got paid a ton of money, and it was a great working environment and I worked with really great people. Point is, it's just hard to work at the same place and do the same thing for many years, no matter how cool it is. At some point you want a change, want to try something new. That point comes at different times for different people, but expecting people to stay at a company for their entire career is pretty unrealistic these days, that happened in the 1950s but is very rare now.

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010

After all that has come out about the inherent culture of mistrust that new hires are met with I would imagine that working for Apple takes a toll on a person.

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
He's key, but not Scott Forstall or Jony Ive key.

And he can also be replaced quite effectively by Director of iPod and iPhone Engineering Vic Alessi (who worked directly with Tupman), or even VP of iPhone and iPod Design Steve Zadesky.
I believe Mansfield and Alessi are both ex-SGIers, they might have a long history of working together and understand each other's style.

dvoros

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2010
Ok, whats going on?

A number of Apple folks have been jumping ship. Do they know something that the rest of us don't?:confused:

kjs862

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2004
I remember reading sometime ago that Forstall was a bit of a trouble maker. Maybe this has something to do with it?

shartypants

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2010
He needs time off to figure out how to spend the millions he has made on stock options. :)

2 Replies

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2010
Apple’s tiny iPhone power adapters

That's a joke.... right?
At least, tell me you're not referring to the beast that is 30-pin... right?
Because it's one of the largest phone power/sync adapters on the market!
(Especially with nearly all other manufacturers standardizing to micro-usb.)

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
That's a joke.... right?
At least, tell me you're not referring to the beast that is 30-pin... right?
Because it's one of the largest phone power/sync adapters on the market!
(Especially with nearly all other manufacturers standardizing to micro-usb.)

They're talking about the power adapter (i.e. the part that goes into the plug), not the standard apple connector for iOS devices.

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
I spent 5 years working at a Fortune 500 company and then quit, couldn't stand it anymore. It actually was a good job, I got paid a ton of money, and it was a great working environment and I worked with really great people. Point is, it's just hard to work at the same place and do the same thing for many years, no matter how cool it is. At some point you want a change, want to try something new. That point comes at different times for different people, but expecting people to stay at a company for their entire career is pretty unrealistic these days, that happened in the 1950s but is very rare now.

Excellent points. I would add that 10 years at Apple, especially in his role, is similar to 20 years at most other Fortune 500's. :apple:

Agent OrangeZ

macrumors 68040
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
See people. This is why issuing stock to executives is important. Maybe if they had tossed 200,000 shares to this guy with a cash in date of 2021, he'd stick around for a while.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
After all that has come out about the inherent culture of mistrust that new hires are met with I would imagine that working for Apple takes a toll on a person.

Hah. That's funny. The fact that Apple doesn't trust every newcomer before they prove themselves is going to make a 10+ year veteran of the company leave?

You should start a comedy club.

jW

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.

I agree.
5 years in a row at one single company is My maximum.
Heck, nowadays for every year I work I take at least one year of(Truth), for every year I work in the "west" I can live a couple of years in a developing country:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.