Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

os_x_mountain_lion_sneak_peek_icon.jpg

Apple today announced that it has released the first developer preview of the company's next-generation operating system, named OS X Mountain Lion. The release will bring over 100 new features, including a number of those familiar to iOS users such as Messages, Notes, Reminders, Game Center, Notification Center, Twitter integration, and AirPlay Mirroring. The first developer preview is available to registered developers today, with a public launch through the Mac App Store scheduled for late this summer.
"The Mac is on a roll, growing faster than the PC for 23 straight quarters, and with Mountain Lion things get even better," said Philip Schiller, Apple's senior vice president of Worldwide Marketing. "The developer preview of Mountain Lion comes just seven months after the incredibly successful release of Lion and sets a rapid pace of development for the world's most advanced personal computer operating system."
OS X Mountain Lion included deeper integration with iCloud to automatically configure services like Mail, FaceTime, and Find My Mac, while iCloud Documents handles automatic push syncing of documents across devices. Security is also a focus in the upcoming release, with a new feature called Gatekeeper helping users to specify from which sources apps may be installed on their computers.

os_x_mountain_lion_macs.jpg

Finally, Apple is continuing its emphasis on expanding into China with substantial improvements for Chinese users included enhanced Chinese input methods and the addition of Baidu as a search engine option. Integration with Chinese email and video hosting sites as well as the Sina weibo microblogging service is also included.

Advance previews of OS X Mountain Lion are available from a number of sources:

- The Loop
- Macworld
- Engadget
- The Verge
- AllThingsD
- CNET
- The Wall Street Journal's interview with Tim Cook

And perhaps most interestingly, Daring Fireball's John Gruber relates the private briefing he received from Phil Schiller and other Apple executives.

Article Link: Apple Releases First Developer Preview of OS X Mountain Lion, Public Launch in Late Summer

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Liking the iOS additions. The notification sidebar will be useful, especially when accessed via a gesture.

From what I read on The Verge, seems that the Messages app is a bit messy right now, particularly because of the iPhone using your phone number as an identifier, and iMessages being sent as SMS's not showing up. Hopefully they'll sort all that out, because it is an issue with the iPhone and iPad, never mind tossing the Mac into it too.

Updates via the Mac App Store is a nice addition too, I assume these will be pushed updates.

I'm excited to see what comes out of this, especially since this is a pre-developer preview. There's no new GUI yet though, but maybe they could save that for the keynote.

Capex

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2010
Canada
Wait what?
They've ported a lot of iOS things.. I almost think they should have brought those through another way in Lion. Not make a whole new operating system... there must be stuff yet to come.

Last edited:

Phechs

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2002
will we finally get back some of the lost functionality of Spaces in Snow Leopard. And proper multi-display iMissionControl support(like dragging a windows from one display to another in missionControl, and seeing both displays next to eachother in iMissionControl???)

Farthen

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2009
Germany
Apple is switching to a yearly Mac OS X release schedule? If this is $29 again the developer program will be even more attractive than it already is.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
All I can say is WOW, that was fast.

I wonder if they're trying to blunt the win8 upgrade.

christian_k

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2005
Germany
I wonder when will they ship a version of OSX that prohibits everything from other sources but the App Store.

Gatekeeper looks like the next step in that direction.

Christian

Lostanddamned

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2009
London, UK
. The release will bring over 100 new features, including a number of those familiar to iOS users such as Messages, Notes, Reminders, Game Center, Notification Center, Twitter integration, and AirPlay Mirroring.

I am ok with this; as long as the desktop environment doesn't suffer too much from oversimplification or dilution; iMessage, twitter integration, AirPlay mirroring will be welcome

Notes and reminders; as far I understand were already present in OSX.

That said I hope this isn't too expensive, a new OS every 18 months or so at even £25 will quickly mount up to a stealth tax in an already expensive environment.

5aga

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2003
Gig City
they're not wasting any time LOL... awesome...

I wonder if it will run on the iPad 3 (one can wish cant he?) :D

Notification Center is nice... downloading Messages now.

Agent OrangeZ

macrumors 68040
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
Hmmm....

OSX 10.1 is known as "Puma."

OSX 10.8 will be known as "Mountain Lion."

According to Wikipedia:
"The cougar (Puma concolor), also known as puma, mountain lion, mountain cat, catamount or panther, depending on the region, is a mammal of the family Felidae, native to the Americas. This large, solitary cat has the greatest range of any large wild terrestrial mammal in the Western Hemisphere,[3] extending from Yukon in Canada to the southern Andes of South America. An adaptable, generalist species, the cougar is found in every major American habitat type. It is the second heaviest cat in the Western Hemisphere, after the jaguar. Although large, the cougar is most closely related to smaller felines and is closer genetically to the domestic cat than to true lions."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.