Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Old Feb 16, 2012, 11:11 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Software Update to Move Inside Mac App Store in OS X Mountain Lion

Apple's Software Update has long been the primary method for users updating their systems, with the tool accessible through the Apple icon in the menu bar offering automatic weekly checks for new software updates from Apple. But as shown by iClarified, Apple is doing away with the standalone Software Update tool in OS X Mountain Lion and integrating it directly into the Mac App Store.

Pocket-lint has more on Apple's decision:
Quote:
Currently Apple's Software Update system in Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, and Mac OS X 10.7 Lion force users to use a dedicated update procedure that constantly checks to see if updates are available. Apple now feels, it seems, that this way of doing things might be slightly confusing to users coming from an iPhone or iPad who are used to seeing updates for apps appear in the App Store rather than buried elsewhere.

Explaining to Pocket-lint in a behind-closed-doors briefing for the new developer preview of Mac OS X Mountain Lion, Apple has told us that the new method will offer updates to the OS and Apple applications in a similar way to how it does on iOS via the App Store, but in this case via the Mac App Store.
The report notes that the move appears to require that users sign up for an Apple ID if they have not done so already in order to access the updates, and also encourages them to keep the Mac App Store within easy access in their Docks so that they will notice badges informing them of available updates.

Article Link: Software Update to Move Inside Mac App Store in OS X Mountain Lion
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2012, 11:15 AM   #2
Lancetx
macrumors 68000

I have no problem with this, but I really hope they give us the ability to merge Apple IDs soon!
Lancetx is offline   26 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2012, 11:16 AM   #3
jayhawk11
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancetx View Post
I have no problem with this, but I really hope they give us the ability to merge Apple IDs soon!
They're going to have to. This is getting brutal for families and developers.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 11:17 AM   #4
ahaaja
macrumors member

i cant understand why still Apple can't make Address book something better, for example:

- displaying a map picture next to each address
- making the relatives fields linked to eachother instead of plain text, so that when I type in someone as a father of another, that person will automatically show up as son of that other person as well. Preferably this would also be linked into a all-new family tree/friends tree-application.
- allow phone numbers to have a separate choice of country, so that country code is automatically added correctly but somehow separately.
ahaaja is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2012, 11:17 AM   #5
zorinlynx
macrumors 68020

How are Macs in enterprise environments going to be updated? I sure as hell hope they don't get rid of the softwareupdate command line tool!

I can update an entire department of Macs with one command using SSH and that tool.
zorinlynx is offline   14 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2012, 11:17 AM   #6
ixodes
macrumors 601

This makes a lot of sense as Apple strives to consumerize their devices. An automated appliance like approach, will be very well received by all the retired seniors I see frequenting Apple Stores. Always one to favor simplicity, Apples right on the money with this choice.

For those of us professionals it's time to brace for the obvious.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 11:18 AM   #7
Mattie Num Nums
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorinlynx View Post
How are Macs in enterprise environments going to be updated? I sure as hell hope they don't get rid of the softwareupdate command line tool!

I can update an entire department of Macs with one command using SSH and that tool.
seriously!!!! We have a huge SUS infrastructure. softwareupdate -i -a is something we use quite a bit.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 11:18 AM   #8
Karolis
macrumors newbie

So Apple is trying to fight piracy by making updates through MAS?
Karolis is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2012, 11:20 AM   #9
AriX
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to AriX Send a message via Skype™ to AriX
Good move as far as consolidation, but Software Update has a better UI.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 11:21 AM   #10
Bear
macrumors G3

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie Num Nums View Post
seriously!!!! We have a huge SUS infrastructure. softwareupdate -i -a is something we use quite a bit.
I suspect Apple will still have support for enterprise type installations.

I do suggest that companies buy at least pay for one developer to get early access to new versions of Mac OS. And then when features go missing you can bug report them as missing features and use the other feedback mechanisms that developers have.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 11:22 AM   #11
hollerz
macrumors 6502a

I don't mind this at all, but I don't want the App Store in my dock all the time. Hopefully it'll provide push notifications in notification centre.
hollerz is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2012, 11:23 AM   #12
applephanatic
macrumors member

I like this idea, however I do not keep the mac app store in my dock, I hope that they will keep the added ability to just check for software updates through well... software updates
applephanatic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2012, 11:23 AM   #13
starbird
macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancetx
I agree wholeheartedly (even though mine is the same it's been for 12-13 years (whenever they released iTools))

. Also, let me update my existing iLife and iWork apps through it.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 11:23 AM   #14
baleensavage
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollerz View Post
I don't mind this at all, but I don't want the App Store in my dock all the time. Hopefully it'll provide push notifications in notification centre.
Yes. I think this is a good move actually, but having notifications for it would be nice as well.
baleensavage is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2012, 11:24 AM   #15
ghall
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to ghall
This I like. Since Lion was released it always bothered me that these things were separate.
ghall is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2012, 11:24 AM   #16
dethmaShine
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie Num Nums View Post
Maybe they still have terminal level implementation of it? I use that too sometimes (while working in shell).

Would be sad if that's not there. For me, not a biggie though.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 11:25 AM   #17
jwm2
macrumors regular

Awesome news. This was one of the reasons i made the jump to the mac. Having a mac app store just opens up so many more possibilities.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 11:26 AM   #18
Demigod Mac
macrumors 6502

Not a good idea if the only way to get automatic software updates requires an Apple ID.

Gatekeeper would be a huge step forward in security; this would be an even bigger step back.
Demigod Mac is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2012, 11:28 AM   #19
guzhogi
macrumors 68020

I've kinda been wanting this for a while. Bundle in the Installer app and an app de-sinatller (to get rid of preference files, Application Support and other related files).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahaaja View Post
i cant understand why still Apple can't make Address book something better, for example:

- displaying a map picture next to each address
- making the relatives fields linked to eachother instead of plain text, so that when I type in someone as a father of another, that person will automatically show up as son of that other person as well. Preferably this would also be linked into a all-new family tree/friends tree-application.
- allow phone numbers to have a separate choice of country, so that country code is automatically added correctly but somehow separately.
I'd like this, too. I'd love it if there was a family tree app that could interface with your contacts so that it has names, birthdays, relationships with other people, marriage dates, etc and also work with iPhoto & iTunes to get pictures, movies & spoken word about said person.

Quote:

In the school district I work for, we use this program called Filewave. Isn't perfect, but still pretty cool.
guzhogi is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2012, 11:32 AM   #20
Going Digital
macrumors newbie

Another push

Although it makes sense to have one single software update mechanism I have so far managed to do without App store completely, this is one more way to force everyone to have a App Store account and encourage them to get their apps that way so you can be sure to get updates.
Going Digital is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2012, 11:33 AM   #21
Wrathwitch
macrumors 65816

Darn, I think I am getting old. I don't use the app store on my iMac, not even sure where the app icon is (likely apps haha). I like just checking the drop down apple without having to go looking for updates.

There was nothing wrong with it the way it was.

Yeap, I am starting to sound curmudgeony....

btw how do you report posts like the spam ad guy 3 or so replies above?

WW
Old Feb 16, 2012, 11:37 AM   #22
GenesisST
macrumors 65816

That's fine by me. When satisfying my software update compulsion, I usually start: Software Update, App Store and AppFresh anyways.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 11:37 AM   #23
Variant
macrumors regular

If they are going to do this, they need to DRASTICALLY improve the performance and stability of the app store. Right now it as possible the slowest Apple software on any of my Macs.
Variant is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2012, 11:38 AM   #24
Mad-B-One
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancetx View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhawk11 View Post
They're going to have to. This is getting brutal for families and developers.
That and the other way round: Sectionize them. As a good example, there is the XBox Live! Family account where you share content with different sub accounts. This would split calendars, App settings, notes, etc.
And if Apple gets really crative, they even let these subaccounts move - e.g. kids moving out, taking their ID with them and merge it with their new spouse etc.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 11:39 AM   #25
haravikk
macrumors 65816

I'd rather keep Software Update and open it up with new APIs so it can be used by the Mac App Store, or by third-parties to update their apps, parts of their apps and so-on by providing a URL and meeting some open standards.

This is for two simple reasons. Firstly, I don't want to have to use Apple's products for everything to do with my Mac; I'd like to be able to sync a mobile device that isn't an iPhone, because I simply don't need one. Further to this; I don't want Apple to use Mac OS as a tool to force people to buy other Apple products, Apple is more than capable of competing through cool-factor and ease of use, they don't need to hurl themselves into anti-competitive territory. Yet we've already lost iSync in Lion, with no sign of a replacement, so it's currently iPhone or nothing; Windows meanwhile will sync with just about every device I throw at it.

Secondly; the more features get mashed into the Mac App Store and iTunes, the worse everything becomes. We need one program for searching and buying apps, a service for auto-updating them, and a music player that's actually just a music player once more. I would pay for a Mac OS version that did nothing but that.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion