Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With the launch of Mac OS X 10.7 Lion in the middle of last year, Apple was clearly trending towards dropping the 'Mac' From 'Mac OS X', which has been the name of the Macintosh operating system for more than 10 years.

Though it still used the 'Mac OS X' naming scheme in press releases, Apple called the new system 'OS X Lion' on both the main product webpage and the Mac App Store product page [Direct Link].

aboutthismac.jpg

As The Verge points out, Apple has completed the transition to 'OS X' across both the Mountain Lion product pages, and the press release announcing the developer preview.
We confirmed the official name change with Apple, who told us that the preferred full name is "OS X Mountain Lion".
The Macintosh (as Tim Cook prefers to call it) brand is still alive and well, though Apple seems to be focusing that term on hardware, instead of software.

Lion was the beginning of a unification of sorts between the Mac OS and iOS. It was, as Steve Jobs put it, what would happen if a MacBook Air and an iPad "hooked up". iOS is based on Mac OS X and, at a fundamental level, there are more similarities than differences between the two operating systems. Dropping 'Mac' completely from the name of the OS solidifies the subtle, but important, distinction between hardware and software.

OS X Mountain Lion is expected to be released later this year.

Article Link: Apple Officially Drops 'Mac' Name from OS X Mountain Lion

orangebluedevil

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2010
Can yall do a collection of "more info" type things like:

- iCal is now Calendar
- Address Book is now Contacts
- Mac OS X is now OS X
- Safari now has omni search
- etc

kemo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2008
Well, and the next release will be just "i" added so it gonna be iOS X.

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
I can't see them just dropping the Mac name for no reason. They must have something planned. I don't know if I'd go as far to say OS X support on non-Apple hardware, but this is interesting...

knewsom

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2005
All I gotta say is Ubuntu better finish getting its crap together and get Adobe Creative Suite and Netflix developed for them, because I'm seriously headed in their direction.

Jeayese

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2009
Hey guys, Loving OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion preview.. but there is a couple of things bugging me,

1. How can I mirror my iPhone to my macbook?
2. Does anyone know how to disable gestures in safari? seems like they went all out with the trackpad gestures this time.. and it's completely stopped my better touch tool tweaks.
3. Still no HDPI for higher resolutions?

obafgkm

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2006
Operating System 11

will be written as XiOS (11 in Roman numerals)...

*Maybe* XIOS, but I'm betting on XiOS.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
I can't see them just dropping the Mac name for no reason. They must have something planned. I don't know if I'd go as far to say OS X support on non-Apple hardware, but this is interesting...

That would be a possibility, but I don't think it's too likely. I think this is more of Apple trying to slowly merge iOS and OS X.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.